• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Johnny Bello

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Johnny Bello Reply with quote

Maybe 5 years or so ago I acquired a horn that used to belong to Johnny Bello whom I was not aware of at the time. Obviously those of you who know of him know what a great lead player he was. Recorded a fair amount with Maynard and Woody Herman and was the lead player on Judy Garland's famous Carnegie Hall concert.

I have not had any luck tracking down a photo of him and wondered if any of you might be aware of some. When I do a Google search some photos show up without identifying some in the picture so that makes it hard!

Also any of you who may have played with him or heard him live and want to share stories please do. Thanks.
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, got to hang w Johnny and his wife at his house in Delray Bch back around 2005...I sold him a Conn 60b that he liked. He was mainly using a Benge 3X+ with an old Giardinelli 7s...he had a great sound BTW which we discussed, he was in his 80's then and still had big high G's, though he was never a DHC type player he had fond memories about playing for Judy Garland and Maynard and even shared a kind Bill Chase story as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: