• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

C Trumpet VS C Cornet for playing in church

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you recommend for use to play with an organ in church to accompany congregational singing?
Schilke S22CHD trumpet
50%
 50%  [ 17 ]
Schilke A2C cornet
50%
 50%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 34

Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazyfinn, this would mean I’d need a brilliant sounding C, I guess As I said before, even on my Bach I seem to sound less brilliant than all of my colleagues; our director in the orchestra regularly comments on that and the recordings with my old bands also show a striking difference between me and the other trumpet player(s), soundwise.

The sound I have been after for that trumpet/organ would of course not be flugel-like but bright and brilliant. Great! Lucky me: a Schilke C6 just popped up for a reasonable price. If it’s anything like the B6, one of my favorite Bb horns, I could be tempted.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the C trumpet is a much better match for organ than Bb. The added brilliance helps cut through the power of an organ much more easily and rings (resonates) better in a large church. It is the shimmer and crackle that you want!
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s the spirit I’ll see what I can do; there is other options besides the C6 mentioned earlier. If I am going C I’d rather invest in a solid horn than jump around the whole time. After all, this will be a first for me and I’ll need the time to practice.

There is no rush, the current idea is to meet up again after Pentecost; the organist is a pro and will be quite busy until then.
1977 Conn 6B
Adam West
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotary C
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course! I have stated many times on this forum how my rotary Bb is the best instrument I ever played and I’d LOVE to have a (matching or other high end) rotary C.

There are a few of these out there as well - I am just debating with myself whether or not I should go for anything between 2500 to 3000+ EUR (vs. 1100 to 1600 for a piston C) right now. That’s what good used rotary C trumpets go for these days, at least if looking at quality brands over here.

Bear in mind, this is the first time I’ll be doing the trumpet/organ thing and who knows how it turns out. I could always sell again if the adventure fails, I guess.
1977 Conn 6B
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here we go again. I am seriously leaning towards a good C trumpet, and, while I really am tempted by the rotary idea, the more realistic option (moneywise) is a piston horn. Here is what is currently within reach on my local used market - which one would you pick for organ/trumpet and why?

Selmer Radial C75
Selmer Radial C99
Selmer C700
B&S 3136/2
Schilke C6
Bach 229
Bach 239
Galileo Jooleo C
EDIT: just realized I forgot a Selmer Era II 900 TT

I am not against Yamaha or other brands but there aren’t any within the price window I have set for myself at the moment.
1977 Conn 6B

Last edited by Brassnose on Tue May 31, 2022 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Ok, here we go again. I am seriously leaning towards a good C trumpet, and, while I really am tempted by the rotary idea, the more realistic option (moneywise) is a piston horn. Here is what is currently within reach on my local used market - which one would you pick for organ/trumpet and why?

Selmer Radial C75
Selmer Radial C99
Selmer C700
B&S 3136/2
Schilke C6
Bach 229
Bach 239
Galileo Jooleo C

I am not against Yamaha or other brands but there aren’t any within the price window I have set for myself at the moment.

Personally (as someone with almost a half century of church playing), I would only use a C if the music called for it. Depending on what it is, a different sound may be appropriate.

As far as C's, in order of preference, for me it would be:
Bach 229
Schilke C6
Bach 239
Selmer Radial C (99)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My church playing has had sheet music almost exclusively written for the Bb. Sure there are the occasional tunes played from the hymnal but it's not that hard to read up a step. I personally can't read down a step to save my life. If you expect your playing to be mostly from a hymnal then that would be a very different case.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
My church playing has had sheet music almost exclusively written for the Bb. Sure there are the occasional tunes played from the hymnal but it's not that hard to read up a step. I personally can't read down a step to save my life. If you expect your playing to be mostly from a hymnal then that would be a very different case.

By play up a step, do you mean to transpose or really to take the music up some interval? I often play out of the hymnal but am basically just transposing and/or playing the descant. If there are ways (for a non-professional) to punch up the music, let me know.

For the sound, the challenge seems to be matching the context. At the start of this thread I mentioned a trumpet prof who comes through sometimes and really buries the congregation with his C trumpet. He sounds incredible but it is *loud*.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The church I currently play with has transposed parts on file for all instruments. They are typically available for most hymnals and probably are cheaper than purchasing a C trumpet.

I use a Bb trumpet almost exclusively. If I need a C I have a Bach with a 256 bell that works nicely. But unfortunately the church I attend has abandoned organ altogether.

But before the pandemic we had a 25 piece “studio” orchestra that, for me, nicely compensated for the organ. Hopefully we will get it started up again soon.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two churches I have started playing with exclusively use music in C as this is the tradition over here. While I can read (and play ) music in C and Bb, some of these gigs are super short notice and I do not currently feel comfortable getting a call „can you sub the next day“ with the music being given to me 30 min before the gig and then all is in C.

Being the director of a ca. 250 ppl research department, I have a super busy professional career and don’t have enough time to practice every skill I’d like to have. This is unfortunate but I still have to make a living. As a result, Bb music is not usually an option, hence the quest for a C instrument.

In fact, last Sunday we had a nice group with me on flugel + flute + clarinet + violin + choir. I really liked the way the flugel mixed with the choir, so if anyone has a C flugel lying around, I could be interested as well. Will be hard with the organ but was GREAT with the choir.
1977 Conn 6B
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
cheiden wrote:

By play up a step, do you mean to transpose or really to take the music up some interval? I often play out of the hymnal but am basically just transposing and/or playing the descant. If there are ways (for a non-professional) to punch up the music, let me know.

For the sound, the challenge seems to be matching the context. At the start of this thread I mentioned a trumpet prof who comes through sometimes and really buries the congregation with his C trumpet. He sounds incredible but it is *loud*.

If you're playing a part in a hymnal (written in C) on a Bb trumpet then you must transpose up one full step. In theory there are notation programs that can scan the music allowing for easy transposition but my trials many years ago were problematic. If I have a tune too difficult to transpose on sight then I typically just spend the time to key it into Finale. From there transposition is a snap.

In my limited experience trumpets in C are frequently more penetrating than ones in Bb. I can see how this could be difficult to balance particularly in a small venue.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: