• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Returning after 35 Years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valve25

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Returning after 35 Years Reply with quote

Last edited by Valve25 on Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means find a place to play. Playing with others is often one of the best aspects of playing. Depending on your technical satisfaction finding a suitable teacher can be very rewarding.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Strobe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
By all means find a place to play. Playing with others is often one of the best aspects of playing. Depending on your technical satisfaction finding a suitable teacher can be very rewarding.
Definitely agree - join a group. Played daily in HS and college with Jazz and concert bands then played on my own for 25 years until joined a community band that started up about 6 years ago. Now I play in 2 jazz bands and one concert band (got up to 5 bands until I had to cut back) but it has been a great experience. The groups have been supportive while challenging me to improve and I've met lots of interesting people. Welcome back!
Bach Hybrid 239
Olds Super Recording ''40's
King Cleveland ''76 (My First)
Olds Super Cornet ' '59
Boston 3 Star Cornet 1912
King Silvertone Cornet '35
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where would you go from here? Thanks.

Welcome back to trumpet playing! The best thing you could do right now would be to get some lessons. A teacher could help ensure you have a good embouchure set up or help with that if you do not. He/she can also help you figure out a practice routine that helps you build trumpet-playing fundamentals. A good set up and sound fundamentals will help with traditional jazz or any other style of music you want to play.

If lessons are not possible, then in addition to working on standards and playing along with recordings, I recommend Claude Gordon's Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing. It is a simple, effective method for developing range and endurance. You don't have to start at the first lesson; start wherever you are comfortable and spend two or so weeks on each lesson.

If you have St. Jacome's method you can use the lesson plan that Gordon includes in Physical Approach. If not, get Eric Bolvin's Arban Manual and use that as your guide through Arban's method, playing each of those lessons for one week. Those two books -- Physical Approach and St. Jacome or Arban -- will help you develop the strength and skills to play any type of music well.

Good luck!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that you do an evaluation of your 'embouchure technique' - with specific attention to PROBLEMS of using high rim pressure to achieve 'high notes', and 'stretching your lips' for high notes.

The idea of 'use less rim pressure' should seem possible, be doable, and make sense.

IF you do have 'embouchure problems', then NOW is the time to get them corrected. Playing 'high notes' is a skill that needs to be learned, doing it with just 'muscle strength' is not the way.

If you don't have problems, then GREAT !
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back!

When you get to play in that "right" room and you hit some notes perfectly, that sound that only us trumpet players produce will be the most satisfying moment!
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word of caution - 2 months of playing after decades off - is not very long as far as embouchure strength.

High A is just fine for now.

By all means, join a group such as a community band. Because of your musical background, your technique will advance faster than your muscle strength. Others may then encourage you to play 1st parts too soon. Try to log in the first year on 2nd or 3rd parts while you work on your strength in controlled practice.

I should also mention that the Conn 15A is a .485 bore instrument so at this time consider using a mouthpiece of modest size and depth rather than a true "cornet" mouthpiece such as a large Yamaha E cup or Denis Wick.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to trumpet playing. Sounds like you have made a great start. What next? Play the music you enjoy most; find people to play it with if you can. Share that music with others who enjoy it to find a new level of enjoyment.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am rolling up on 6 years since I started my comeback after a similar layoff as yours. Here are my recommendations based on my experiences (some of which have already been stated):

Take a lesson from an established teacher (in person if possible) as part of an embouchure check-up. You can make a lot of progress early with a bad setup which may have to be undone later. Make sure it is someone you feel comfortable with.

Develop or have someone help you develop a solid practice routine based on fundamentals.

Join a local community band/jazz band.

Do what inspires or motivates you. Its your comeback. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwood66 wrote:
I am rolling up on 6 years since I started my comeback after a similar layoff as yours. Here are my recommendations based on my experiences (some of which have already been stated):

Take a lesson from an established teacher (in person if possible) as part of an embouchure check-up. You can make a lot of progress early with a bad setup which may have to be undone later. Make sure it is someone you feel comfortable with.

Develop or have someone help you develop a solid practice routine based on fundamentals.

Join a local community band/jazz band.

Do what inspires or motivates you. Its your comeback. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

I too am rolling up to 6 years after a 50 year break, and I certainly agree with these suggestions. I was fortunate that a friend of mine is a 30+ year pro player who helped me get to a point where I was playing with a local band within 7 months of the start of my comeback.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back!

7 years back after 14 years out! I got hijacked into playing again by a Music Minister/Trumpet player at my church in late 2014. Once my horns were recommissioned, it took a good long while to really get things up and running again! Not the things that I would have thought; my embouchure and range came around much faster than expected, but my reading skills, breath control and especially mindset were looming challenges right away. Thankfully, I had retired from my day gig and had/have the time to put in to really move ahead. Getting heavily involved in the local music opportunities right away, thanks to a symphony percussionist/trumpet player friend, opened up avenues but made peer scrutiny, accountability and the resulting self discipline a greater driving force.

Developing relationships with fellow trumpet players has been key for myriad reasons!

Best wishes,
Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of things I'd caution you about.

The first is the idea that adult commitment and discipline can make up for time. It can't. Be prepared for the journey back to being able to really play to take a number of years. It takes time to dial yourself into an instrument, and there are no shortcuts. Disciplined and focused practice can certainly shorten the time, but nothing is going to come quickly.

The second is to jump on the bandwagon others have suggested, and that's to find a performance outlet as soon as you think your chops are passable enough to do that. It might be playing 3rd parts in a community band or church orchestra, but find something as soon as you can. I know that for me, without some external thing as a source of motivation, I have a very hard time getting in the practice room to play for the sake of playing.

Good luck to you!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP

Last edited by trickg on Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: