• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

USA sales only

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: USA sales only Reply with quote

Hello guys , I want to ask why the last two years more and more sellers at MP only sales in US and decline to sell even a cheap cornet bbore to a European old member?
I am member of TH since 2003 and I have buy and sell numerous mpcs and some horns with no problem ever , some guys had help me to get something I could from some companies (thanks gus) and I am always ready to help if i can anybody (specially some old members that I now that are ok) but recently I see that the majority of sellers says "sorry no shipping outside of USA" and I can't understand why.
Sorry for my complaints but I can understand what happens.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
callee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about mouthpieces, but in my day job I am a cabinetmaker, and it's always frustrating to me the amount of innovative tooling being made by smaller American firms that isn't available in Canada because they won't ship outside of the USA. I see it all the time.

Part of it is just practicality for them - not sure about Greece, but Canada is only 10% the size of USA, and so at most selling to the Canadian market might give their revenue a 10% boost: for a lot of smaller companies, 10% just isn't enough to justify the investment in cross border logistics, tax laws, etc.

As well, shipping between USA and Canada is surprisingly expensive, and so anecdotally I know some American vendors who have a once-bitten-twice-shy perspective: they have too often put the work into a potential sale only to have the deal fall through at the last minute when the foreign buyer finds out how expensive the shipping will be.

Now, again, that's tooling not mouthpieces, and Canada not Greece, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of overlap in the explanations.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on that is that they might not think it’s worth it. By that I mean it takes more actual time to ship international. For a long time if I had to ship a mouthpiece internationally I had to go to the post office and fill out three forms and then stand in line. If I wanted to send UPS I had to go the ups store and have them fill things out in the computer. (And then charge double)

This could easily take and 30 minutes for one mouthpiece. If I luck out I can make a mouthpiece that fast. See where I’m going with this?

Now it’s better cuz priority mail now allows you to do international labels online and it’s pretty fast. Way better. I used to not like shipping internationally. Not so much any more.

I have not had anything get lost though I have heard horror stories about that. That could be another reason. One experience with that and I could see refusing to do it any more.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone in the EU that can do the work for you or provide you with what you need?

Some smaller US companies have EU distributors.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily I have almost finished the mpc/horn safari but always I want to try something that is not available to EU like a vintage horn or mpc or something from a company that is closed and when I found it almost all the times the guy says "sorry no shipping outside US" .
Anyway sorry for the complaints guys I guess I am going old ....

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
THE BD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind shipping internationally from the US. I have shipped both horns and mouthpieces from the US to places both in the UK, the EU & Japan.

I just ask that the buyer pays actual shipping, and no one ever wants to pay that...

Yeah, I did that!
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used these a few times for when someone absolutely refuses to send internationally:

https://www.usgobuy.com/

I've used similar in Germany, France and Spain too for the same reason.

But there is a fee, and it adds a leg onto the journey, so takes longer but I've found them reliable.

You basically get a US address, a notification when your shipment arrives and options for the forwarding, pay and then look forward to receiving your package.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimspeedjae wrote:
I have used these a few times for when someone absolutely refuses to send internationally:

https://www.usgobuy.com/

I've used similar in Germany, France and Spain too for the same reason.

But there is a fee, and it adds a leg onto the journey, so takes longer but I've found them reliable.

You basically get a US address, a notification when your shipment arrives and options for the forwarding, pay and then look forward to receiving your package.

Thanks!!! This is a very good solution.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having recently imported something from the USA to Europe, I've found that the shipping & customs costs are bordering on the extreme. I'm pretty much done ever buying from across the ocean again because of it. I can understand that sellers have many customers with similar experiences.
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try and do it rarely these days - I usually add 30% on to USD price as a rough estimate.

So I have to really need it, want it, or have found a great bargain somewhere.
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in Canada hibidogrulez I also find it super frustrating. Many sellers will ship to Canada if you ask but from USA anything other than USPS is ridiculously expensive.

Hell - some sellers in USA also refuse to sell to certain States.

The paperwork is NOT all that bad to complete.

I find when shipping to the USA that most people NEVER get assessed duties and taxes. Coming into Canada its about a 50% hit rate on getting assessed.

Heather
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are countries in Europe that will hold anything sent from overseas in customs. If the fees aren't payed beforehand (possible on ebay and from some businesses) then the buyer might have to wait a while before he manages to fill out the forms, pay the duties etc. Sometimes, the fees can be more than the item is worth. Frustration might cause the buyer to vent this frustration on the seller. So I can see why people don't want to send items overseas. If you can pay the customs beforehand, this will make things a lot easier.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always say the mouthpiece is a “commercial sample”. That is what people say they want it described as. With a minimal value like 5 bucks ir even zero bucks.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
djpearlman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also found tracking information to be unreliable outside the US, so it is hard for me as a seller to ensure or verify delivery.

- Monette Cornette
- Andalusia Cornet
- Carolbrass Pocket Trumpet
- Monette mouthpieces

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5NafoVeXrsRm-fOhKaIpnA
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djpearlman wrote:
I have also found tracking information to be unreliable outside the US, so it is hard for me as a seller to ensure or verify delivery.

I once bought a CD on eBay that shipped from Germany. There was minimal tracking available. It arrived 4-6 months later, long after I had forgotten I bought it. Nice surprise!
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the economic times become increasingly challenging the less the willingness of the USA to engage the rest of the world becomes apparent. It is what it is. It has ever been thus. No criticism just observation. I live fifty kms north of the 49th parallel. I may as well live in Muldovia or Kazakhstan. Just the way it goes.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Asia and there's a service now that lets me mail forward things for around $5/pound. Probably not worth it for a flugelhorn but in practice I should be able to get mouthpieces very inexpensively. So far only my parents have been willing to ship to me.

I wrote to one guy about a listing here but never heard back. In essence, I'd do paypal friends and family and then there's a code that goes after my name on the envelop. Everything else I do from my end (fill out a form online, etc.).

It is a challenge. I feel like in the US, the massive market, efficient shipping, and easy returns make interactions as a consumer pretty good, but I sympathize with those struggling to ship abroad.
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mouthpieces from Mouthpieces express without any problems.
No custom taxes because the value is low. I assume it is the same for all the EEC.
I bought 2 horns from US via E-bay and had to pay custom taxes.
In a general way I think there is no problems as long as you buy from a company.
I can understand that US individuals do not want to ship abroad: you don’t know the rules, the laws of the country you ship to, not to say the language and if there is a problem it would be an ordeal to solve it.
Sad but understandable.
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived and worked in 4 different countries, including the US, an I always have shipped and bought internationally. I am aware that buying or selling will cost the buyer extra, due to higher shipping costs and posible duty and extra taxes. Me as I buyer I figure that into the overall price to see if it is visible for me.

Whenever I see US sale only I get the feeling that people think, that other folks outside the US live in some 'underdeveloped' country with a substandard mailing system.

However, Lately I had to send some documents to the US. On the Tracking info I could see that it made it to the US in only a few days, but then was somewhere stuck for more the 5 more weeks in the US postal system before it got delivered. Usual delivery time used to be one week.

(sorry if I am venting - just my frustration with the above mentioned statement)
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right Dieter. USPS right now is by no means the most efficient or secure system in the world. Many countries have far superior postal services.

I often find if you ask people who indicate USA sales only that they will sometimes agree at least to ship to Canada.

Although I do have a good friend that sometimes has to act as a broker.

Heather.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: