• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugelhorn covered in oil when in case.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saurus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Flugelhorn covered in oil when in case. Reply with quote

I have a brand new Yamaha YFH8310ZG Flugelhorn. It's workmanship and finish looks flawless and it plays amazing, no problem whatsoever.

When I stop playing I clean it up with a cloth and I'm sure it is perfectly dry (externally) before storing it in it's case and empty the water keys. The next day, when I take it out of the case I always find the entire valve block, 1,2,3 tuning slides and part of the underneath of the bell covered in a fine layer of oil (at least I guess it is oil). I tried storing the case in different orientations and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I've checked thoroughly and can't find any leaks, also when I play it, it doesn't seem to be leaking any oil or air from anywhere, in fact if I wipe it dry before I start playing, it stays perfectly dry even if I play for a couple of hours. It only seems to 'leak' when stored in the case.

I oil it with a couple drops in each valve once a day before I start playing. So far I've only used the Yamaha oil that came with it.

I have other trumpets and I treat them all in the same way, this flugelhorn is the only one that does this.

Anyone has this issue?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try placing a glass bottle in the case instead of the horn - to see if the oil is from the case lining - not coming out of the horn.

If that's the situation, then maybe stuff the case full of paper towels to try absorbing whatever is in the lining fabric.
You might even try dry uncooked rice (?) Supposedly that works for absorbing water from wet cellphones.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
saurus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, I never thought of checking the case rather than the horn, definitively something to check!

As I said the horn is brand new and I don't remember ever spilling any oil in the case. There is also the factory silica gel bag in the case, although of course that's for water not oil. I'll definitely check this though, thanks.
callee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see this mystery unfold.

One thing that caught my eye though, you said you oil this thing every single day? Did I read that right?

Maybe I'm the one who's off, let's see what the others say, but that strikes me as more than a little excessive. I only oil mine as needed, and that's rare - maybe once or twice a month. If a horn has sat for a while then it will need some fresh oil, of course, but playing every day seems to keep them good in my experience.

If I'm right, then that could be the explanation right there - you simply have way too much oil circulating in that horn and when it sits it has a chance to collect and seep out all over everything.
geseco

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would leave that case open.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with oiling daily. In fact oiling once or twice a month is risking early valve wear.

If the oil is coming from the oil on the valves, it would leak from the bottom or top caps, or from loose slides. Loose slides is unlikely due to it being new and yamaha’s reputation for quality.

I too suspect oil was spilled, or is spilling, in the case.
saurus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

callee wrote:

One thing that caught my eye though, you said you oil this thing every single day? Did I read that right?

Yes I normally oil it once a day with one/two drops (oiling from the top) just before starting the playing session. I do skip it sometimes if I am only playing for a short session or just feeling lazy... but more often than not it is once a day. I've been doing this for 25 years on my other trumpets and never had any issue with excess oil, oil leak or valve wear.

Actually I generally though that I was being conservative on oiling! Some recommend oiling both before and after the playing session.
saurus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

If the oil is coming from the oil on the valves, it would leak from the bottom or top caps, or from loose slides.

I agree, actually if you put too much oil it would normally come out right away during playing from the bottom and top caps. Excess oil also flushes out from the water keys during playing. By the time you put it back in the case the excess oil should be gone I guess.
callee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, just for kicks I checked out yamaha's website to see what they recommended, and to my surprise they do say to oil the valves after every time you play the horn, right before you put it away:

https://www.yamaha.com/en/musical_instrument_guide/trumpet/maintenance/maintenance003.html

One other question though, you said you oil "from the top" , what exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean you unscrew the top valve cap and oil the top of the valve? Or do you mean you squirt a few drops in at the base of the valve stem while the valves are still screwed in?
saurus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

callee wrote:
they do say to oil the valves after every time you play the horn, right before you put it away

Right, oiling after the session is supposed to help flush any gunk with fresh oil. I've always done it before playing, seems to be more logical to me...

callee wrote:

One other question though, you said you oil "from the top" , what exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean you unscrew the top valve cap and oil the top of the valve?

I unscrew the top cap, take the valve half way out, put a drop or two on the valve body, push it back in, turn it around a bit to distribute the oil and then screw the top cap.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

callee wrote:

saurus wrote:

Yes I normally oil it once a day with one/two drops (oiling from the top) just before starting the playing session. I do skip it sometimes if I am only playing for a short session or just feeling lazy... but more often than not it is once a day. I've been doing this for 25 years on my other trumpets and never had any issue with excess oil, oil leak or valve wear.

Actually I generally though that I was being conservative on oiling! Some recommend oiling both before and after the playing session.

As a long time user of Yamaha Synthetic Oil, this is not necessary. I once went 4 months without oiling my valves. I'm not recommending that, but this is not the old thin petroleum stuff that you need to use daily. You can, but it might be the cause of your issues with having oil all over your horn.

I'd say once a week is quite fine. The "flushing gunk" shouldn't be an issue if you horn is fairly clean in general.

Or your bottle could be leaking. I always keep my oil and grease in a ziplock bag. Because, it's a mess if it leaks. If you have them in a bag, at least the mess is contained.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
saurus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:

As a long time user of Yamaha Synthetic Oil, this is not necessary. I once went 4 months without oiling my valves. I'm not recommending that, but this is not the old thin petroleum stuff that you need to use daily. You can, but it might be the cause of your issues with having oil all over your horn.

I agree that synthetic oils can last a long time, there were a few times (on other horns) when I didn't oil for a week or so without seeing any difference in the valve action. But I'd rather not risk any long term valve wear so in general at most I only skip a day between oiling.

I don't exclude this being an excess oil issue but I never see any oil coming out of the caps when playing. This horn is bottom sprung so maybe it leaks less from the bottom caps while playing, not sure. I also stored the case in different orientations thinking that if the horn was leaking oil, the location of the wet area would be different but it didn't seem to make a difference. In the 'normal' laying flat case orientation the horn is positioned with the valves tilting slightly downwards, I cannot understand how a leak from the top caps (since these are pointing down) would wet the entire valve block and the tuning slides. So the idea that the oil is coming from the case seems to make a lot of sense actually.

I can try to not oil it for a few days and see if that solve the mystery.

Will check soon.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another suggestion would be to place a piece of cellophane or something similar between the horn and the case and see which side gets oily. If you put a layer of paper on either side of the cellophane you might be able to more easily determine where the oil/wetness is coming from.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
saurus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Another suggestion would be to place a piece of cellophane or something similar between the horn and the case and see which side gets oily. If you put a layer of paper on either side of the cellophane you might be able to more easily determine where the oil/wetness is coming from.

Good idea, I was just thinking something along those lines actually so I could test both horn and case at the same time. Looks like engineers think alike lol
trompette229
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be obvious so apologies. Oiling everyday is great but I sometimes see colleagues and students who really over oil (amount per oiling). A few drops per valve is plenty. Could this be an issue?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trompette229 wrote:
This might be obvious so apologies. Oiling everyday is great but I sometimes see colleagues and students who really over oil (amount per oiling). A few drops per valve is plenty. Could this be an issue?

Maybe not obvious, but already answered.
saurus wrote:
Yes I normally oil it once a day with one/two drops (oiling from the top) just before starting the playing session.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vaguely recall that this has happened to me a few times. Other than the bottle leaking, I think it's mostly been when I've oiled and put away rather than oiled and played.

Also, it's easy to get oil on the outside of the casings when doing the slight lift and a few drops. That's all it needs. Oils is designed to spread itself over a smooth surface - it doesn't care if it's the piston surface and inside of the casings, or the outside of the casing on the valve block.

Valves that don't need more oil that get more oil also seem to tend to leak a bit. I've watched that with my students.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Schilke E3L that does this. I know it isn't coming from the case because it doesn't happen to any other instrument I put in that slot (it's a Wolfpak). Every time I take the horn out, there is a film of oil on the lower half of the valve block and extending across the valve slides.

I have no other horn that does this.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some oils can wick out of and around the casing - their composition and behaviour is similar to kerosene (e.g., Holton).
saurus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
I have a Schilke E3L that does this. I know it isn't coming from the case because it doesn't happen to any other instrument I put in that slot (it's a Wolfpak). Every time I take the horn out, there is a film of oil on the lower half of the valve block and extending across the valve slides.

Interesting, do you oil it every time you play?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: