• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Orchestra recorded with cell phones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Orchestra recorded with cell phones Reply with quote

Speaking of cell phones, here's a sample of a recording by an orchestra during the pandemic - all the invididual performances were recorded with cell phones and mixed together.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12bnzdjvFk2jZaHCIDUkT77BHr-GSZpEk/view?usp=sharing
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly excellent and a brave step into a new world
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
SteveDurand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds good but it also sounds very processed. I think a lot of editing has to go in to something like this to make it work out.

Steve
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's nice playing and editing/mixing. I did something similar for my college group last year. I made a midi track of the arrangement for the students to play along with as the click track and they submitted cell phone videos. Some of the time and intonation adjustments that we instinctively make in person or in a normal recording environment had to be done via editing. Otherwise, subtle time differences become magnified and you end up with articulation chaos. Fortunately, it's relatively easy these days to adjust notes. You don't even have to chop things up, just drag the articulation to its desired location. It's a bit labor-intensive, but it's doable.
SSmith1226
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your orchestral recording is excellent!
Below is a cellphone compilation of Ravel’s Bolero that I just completed with the New Horizons Band of Cape Cod as well as a few High School and Middle School students. I am new at this, but considering my inexperience in Video and Audio Editing ( 9 months ), the band’s playing level (we are recent comeback or new players), the lack of standardization of recording hardware and technique, I think that cellphone video and audio gives a very good representation.

https://youtu.be/x_ooVdlpFRU
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveDurand wrote:
It sounds good but it also sounds very processed. I think a lot of editing has to go in to something like this to make it work out.

Steve

They did a decent job but there are problems with combining individual instruments like this all recorded relatively close-mic'd in different rooms with varying acoustics - they likely used modeled reverb to simulate a hall sound but the physics/acoustics just isn't the same as how the mics hear an ensemble performing together in a hall.

Same problem with creating a truly lifelike MIDI or digital piano or acoustic guitar performance - these are essentially just really long samples. Combined individual samples are never going to be the same as the strings interacting with each other in the body of an instrument.

But for my purposes here the main emphasis is on the fidelity captured by the cell phones which is really good.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
SSmith1226
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But for my purposes here the main emphasis is on the fidelity captured by the cell phones which is really good.[/quote]

The fidelity and musicianship of your orchestral recording was far superior to what I put together. Our group consists of low level amateurs and there was no standardization of the recording technique. I did add reverb to each recording as well as edited and balanced the combination of recordings as best I could. I agree that the cellphones did a very good job of capturing the individual performances.
This virtual performance exists only because of the Covid Pandemic. It is amazing to me that the technology, that virtually all of us have available, is capable of creating this level of audio and video recording. In January of 2020, if someone told me that this was possible, and that I would be putting together these types of performances with my cell phone and home computer, I would not have believed it.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSmith1226 wrote:
Quote:
But for my purposes here the main emphasis is on the fidelity captured by the cell phones which is really good.

The fidelity and musicianship of your orchestral recording was far superior to what I put together. Our group consists of low level amateurs and there was no standardization of the recording technique. I did add reverb to each recording as well as edited and balanced the combination of recordings as best I could. I agree that the cellphones did a very good job of capturing the individual performances.
This virtual performance exists only because of the Covid Pandemic. It is amazing to me that the technology, that virtually all of us have available, is capable of creating this level of audio and video recording. In January of 2020, if someone told me that this was possible, and that I would be putting together these types of performances with my cell phone and home computer, I would not have believed it.

To clarify the mix isn't mine, it's an orchestra a cousin is part of and was put together by someone with them.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSmith1226 wrote:
Your orchestral recording is excellent!
Below is a cellphone compilation of Ravel’s Bolero that I just completed with the New Horizons Band of Cape Cod as well as a few High School and Middle School students. I am new at this, but considering my inexperience in Video and Audio Editing ( 9 months ), the band’s playing level (we are recent comeback or new players), the lack of standardization of recording hardware and technique, I think that cellphone video and audio gives a very good representation.

https://youtu.be/x_ooVdlpFRU

Good job! You obviously put a lot of work into it.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
SSmith1226
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the complement!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: