• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wolfpack Torpedo Case - Single

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marathoner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Wolfpack Torpedo Case - Single Reply with quote

I have acquired a Wolfpack Torpedo single case. Is it still made ? Can't seem to find info. Very sturdy. Black with red trim. Sorry can't take a picture. What did these cost originally ? Thanks
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to own one before many many years and before Torpedo bags show up in business , real great case ,very sturdy and secure but I believe that is out of production some years now.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Wolfpak label was acquired by Conn-Selmer or some other large corporation many years ago. I'm not sure if they still makes cases under that label.

If it's pretty heavy and stiff with thicker hard sides, it's one of the "new" corporate Wolfpaks. Nothing wrong with them, but they're not the same cases that were made by that one guy and were pretty popular for a while.

I have one of the corporate ones, a double. It's fine, but heavy.

I believe he went back to making cases at one point under Rocky Mountain Cases or something like that, but I don't think those are made anymore either.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the only design that the new company makes (don't think it's Conn-Selmer) is the 2.5-style case with wheels. I've not seen any other configuration listed anywhere.

The single that you have is a good case. I wanna say around $150 new, but that was close to 30 years ago.

Kevin Woeful started the company. He was in the USAF Band at Chanute AFB, IL (band and base shut down quite a while ago). He hooked up with Dave Monette when Dave was in Chicago. At that time there were no hard-shell cases on the market that could correctly and comfortable hold a Monette with their larger bells.

Kevin took that opportunity to start WolfPak cases, which were designed to hold a Monette. He expanded from the single to add a double, triple, quad and trumpet/flugel. Eventually he came out with the 2.5 in two configurations - trumpet/flugel and 2 full-size plus a picc. There were also two configurations in the trumpet/flugel. Same outside, different inside.

He had some good ideas, like that there was a way to strap together two or more single & double cases, making for one large "case" that was easier to schlep around.

Another was the pad in the lid of the 2.5, triple & quad could be removed for laying on a floor and giving you a place to lay your horns out for easy access.

And the removeable "Lunch Box" accessories bag on the 2.5. The new company does not offer the Lunch Box.

Kevin left WolfPak and started up Rocky Mountain Caseworks, which were an improvement on the WolfPak design. A testament as to how good the Rocky Mountain cases are...try to find one that doesn't cost big bucks. They rarely show in the Marketplace or eBay and when they do, even used as they are, they ain't cheap.

Kevin eventually left Rocky and is teaching at a college in Idaho. Really nice cat.

I have several WolfPak cases - one double, one 2.5 without wheels (a case I use a LOT), and 3 quads (two with wheels). I'm very happy with them & trust my horns will be safe inside of them.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: