• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fr/Feb 2021 Nakariakov plays Brahms Hrn Trio on flugelhorn!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexwill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Fr/Feb 2021 Nakariakov plays Brahms Hrn Trio on flugelhorn! Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/GvUoysi0OHM
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been saying for years now that Sergei is very likely the best flugelhorn player who has ever lived. This performance continues to affirm that assertion, just astounding and absolutely musical in every way!
Gabrieli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes, playing Brahms horn trio on a flugelhorn is like playing the Haydn trumpet concerto on the clarinet. You can do it but why?

Brahms certainly would not have liked it. He didn't even like the bflat trumpets which in his lifetime began to replace the majestic f trumpet.

I prefer to listen to it on the instruments Brahms wrote it for: YMMV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBfOl_smrFY
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we seriously going down this kind of insulting path, especially regarding Sergei, who is very likely the top trumpet soloist currently living? Just FYI Jens Lindemann just made a superb recording of the Brahms as well. It’s actually my ‘least’ favorite of the pieces Sergei played in this performance, but that’s like comparing one exquisite wine over another. If we’re going to remove non-trumpet works from our repertoire, we need to start by trashing most of Maurice Andre’s recordings and transcriptions. Then we can stick with Haydn, Hummel (both would have to be on keyed trumpets), Baroque stuff (apparently only on natural trumpet), cornet literature (oh wait, but then we can’t do those except on historically accurate cornets), a few other minor works, and loads of ear-pounding 20th & 21st century solos...

Speaking of the natural horn, I very much like Gabrieli's linked recording. On a related note, though I have read much of the scholarly commentary on Brandenburg No 2, I find the recording below to potentially be my all-time favorite of that work, and it doesn’t have a trumpet at all. IMHO the natural horn sounds just fantastic in the ‘tromba/corno da caccia’ role...

https://youtu.be/1kCxF2kJev4
https://youtu.be/FnrzKRUGU-s

Last edited by bike&ed on Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:26 pm; edited 6 times in total
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabrieli wrote:
Well yes, playing Brahms horn trio on a flugelhorn is like playing the Haydn trumpet concerto on the clarinet. You can do it but why?

Brahms certainly would not have liked it. He didn't even like the bflat trumpets which in his lifetime began to replace the majestic f trumpet.

I prefer to listen to it on the instruments Brahms wrote it for: YMMV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBfOl_smrFY

This is a superb performance. It is musical and Sergei is playing the music with the sensitivity that a horn player would have to use. I do not believe Brahms would be entirely happy, but if not informed it was a flugelhorn then he probably would admire the performance for the above stated reasons. Never once does Sergei step on the toes of the other musicians, or become trumpet like in his approach.

Too many people vehemently complain about fine performances where the instrumentation does not match the original. Can you and others who share your opinion at least acknowledge that this is a highly musical collaboration?
Good Ol' Boy ID#3624360
trumpetjens
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, Brahms WOULD have loved it on a different instrument. It was written for piano, violin, and natural horn OR viola OR cello. Brahms himself said so and published it that way. If that's good enough for him, it should be good enough for all of us.

My beef is with people that call it the 'horn trio'. It is his Opus 40...period. Even purists will acknowledge that it is played by the chromatic horn 99% of the time. Whether one prefers it on a different instrument is a matter of taste. However, whether or not one should do it is an inarguable fact and we should be thinking that way as trumpeters.

Sergei has pushed the instrument to new heights and Maurice Andre himself, The Godfather for soloists, brought us out of the dark ages because of transcriptions. The Haydn and Hummel alone, great as they are, were never going to do that in the classical world.

Much to the chagrin of our left-handed-backwards-facing brothers and sisters, the Opus 40 trio is fair game and they know it. I mean C'mon. who would NOT want to play the chamber music of Johannes Brahms...that alone should be reason enough to learn it and program it.

Jens Lindemann
www.trumpetsolo.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: