• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

James F. Burke

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrackBugler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: James F. Burke Reply with quote

35 videos, all produced by myself with many more to come. Most include sheet music.

This channel replaces the James F. Burke Tribute Page and is for educational purposes only. It will never be monetized. Please subscribe anyhow. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8greAZu6Nvf5BblD1OpzMQ/videos
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually met James "Jimmy" Burke, once. In the early Sixties, he was giving lessons and short concerts across the Northeastern US, and he came to my school.

I was a clarinet player at that time, so unfortunately never received any of his instruction. But I remember being amazed at the seeming ease with which he produced the most amazing music from his horn.
Gradyfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the good fortune of studying with Mr. Burke after graduating from high school. Aside from his virtuoso playing, I remember he had a very good sense of humor, which always put me at ease. When I played an assignment well, he would say, "Soundza nice." When I didn't, he'd say, "Let me show you how it should be played," and then he would play it - one example was a Charlier Etude I struggled with - from beginning to end without dropping a note and entirely from memory. I protested that I couldn't possibly play it that well. He replied, "Of course, you can." And then we would have a good laugh together.

I wanted to play in my university's concert band but thought I didn't have a chance because the trumpet section was already filled with undergraduate and graduate music majors, and that was not my major. Mr. Burke suggested I tell the band director I was a student of his. Even though I botched the audition due to nerves, the band director made room for me. An innocent kid, it was a while before I realized why.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He came to my high school in April of 1967.
It was a thrill being in the band hearing him play and then giving a clinic for brass (and any other band member).
He was a very kind and gracious man and of course, his playing was great!
R. Tomasek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: