• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Review: CarolBrass CRT-4000H-YSS C Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Review: CarolBrass CRT-4000H-YSS C Trumpet Reply with quote

FWIW, here's my impression of my new horn, freely offered:

Just got this horn today, and it's a keeper. I'm 65, classically-trained, a retired civil servant, play in several decent regional concert bands and (now and again) a big band. Do I need a C horn? No. But I like the smaller horn, the sound, and the challenge of sight transposition. Getting some church gigs and possibly into a post-Covid quintet would be nice.

Previous Cs include a Getzen Capri; Jupiter XO1624; Kanstul French Besson; and an Eastman 530GS. The Jupiter and Eastman were new.

The Capri was easy to play but a bit lightweight in sound, intonation okay.

The Jupiter fit and finish was excellent and had very nice valves, but lacked enough body to the sound and would just disappear when played in a section of Bb horns. Needed the usual C alternates for E and Eb, and the D was on the edge of being too flat.

I tried hard to like the used Kanstul but it always felt like it was pushing back at me and making me work much too hard. Too much resistance, and the sound felt 'small', too...but the guy that bought it loved it. Najoom leadpipe and rounded tuning slide, too.

The brand new Eastman had good fit and finish and was easy enough to play, but the reverse leadpipe left hardly any solder surface for the finger hook...which broke off two weeks after getting it (I'm no pressure player, either); the valves were far, far too tight; and the valve caps kept wanting to cross-thread. I returned it for a refund (thanks, Long & McQuade : )

This CarolBrass C takes them all easily, hands down. Easy to blow, good center/core to the sound, nice full sound, excellent slotting, super fit and finish, terrific valves right out of the box, no cross-threading (!!) and intonation is really very, very good.

Is it a $6,XXX Yamaha or a $4,XXX Bach? Of course not...but I couldn't justify paying that even if I had the funds; and a used Yamaha or Bach C in decent condition from the U.S. is pushing $2,500 once the exchange, duty and provincial taxes are added. This horn is new and cost me $1,300 CDN to the door ($925 USD). Saw an "open-box" one on Ebay last week that went for $400 USD, an absolute steal.

So if you're looking for a good solid affordable C trumpet, check out this one or its near-twin brother (model 5060) with the gold brass bell and sterling leadpipe. Same horn otherwise.

Disclosure: No, I don't work for CarolBrass, nor sell horns.

Check these out, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgCWqsN8dKI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMA63avZkZs

Cheers!
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review. I have the 4000 c pocket trumpet and really like it. I like Carol a lot. I tried different trumpets out on my daughter for Easter and she picked my Carol Bb as the most "ringy."

A few quick questions:
1. Do you still do alternate fingers for the D/Eb/E?
2. What mouthpiece are you playing on it?
3. What is the weight like compared to the other Cs?

I am still working my way into C. For me the adjustment seems quick now, but I'm still a little nervous on the intonation.
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Do you still do alternate fingers for the D/Eb/E?
The D and Eb seem fine, and I'm still deciding whether the E needs to be played with 1+2. Will sit down with the tuner later tonight...

2. What mouthpiece are you playing on it?
Believe it or not, at the moment just a Jupiter 7C. I was playing a Schilke 15 and a 15D but found them too big, although I loved the sound. This particular Jupiter has a more rounded inner rim edge for all that's it's probably a knock-off of the Bach 7C (without getting into all the 7C variants...). The 7C I picked up for cornet, however, does not have the same feel <grumble>. I may switch back to a Schilke 12, but am open to suggestions for something that might better match the new horn.

3. What is the weight like compared to the other Cs?
In terms of physical weight, it's a bit heavier than all of the others...but is really more of a "solid build" feel than anything. Less so than a Bach, though, and easily manageable. Quite comfortable.

Hope this helps : )
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: