• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

AR Resonance affecting low register or adjustment period

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jairo_saade

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: AR Resonance affecting low register or adjustment period Reply with quote

Hi All,

I recently acquired an AR Resonance MCW 40 with M backbore (3C ish) and It is nice in the middle and upper register, the interval jumps seem a little easier but I perceive the lower register is affected mainly it feels harder to play soft on anything below E.

Anyone experiencing something similar?

Regards
Joe
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn’t the AR have giant throat? 19ish?

Are you coming from a stick 3C to the AR? That would mess most players up!

I usually play pieces with 24-25 throats. I tried a Monette Tradition Plus last year. (Conventional type Monette). Didn’t work for me because it still has a 21 throat.

If you are going from a 27 throat to a 19, I’m not surprised there are issues.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really no, though the lower register is one of the few things I don't suck at so perhaps it was less noticeable to me. I've got a S backbore too, I'll try it tonight to see if it makes any difference.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve played the MC 40 and now play an MLC 40. I’ve never experienced that issue.
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just putting it out there again:
The 40 represents a 4.00mm throat which is a 21 Size.
This is pretty huge.

So, for people going from stock mouthpieces with 27 throats, this will be an enormously huge difference.

May work amazingly well on AR trumpets. But, most players who play conventional equipment will likely realize that it won’t work for them after the honeymoon period.
jairo_saade

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Something worth mentioning is the top is Bronze.

I did notice the size issue and at first I was kind of overblowing, but I adjusted quickly focusing on air control. I normally play a Bach 3cW (25 throat) or ACB TA1 (26 throat).

here are some notes about second day of honeymoon:

It seemed to work better on my Lawler C7 maybe due to the step bore configuration and it actually felt very open, dark and airy which are characteristics I was kind of hoping from the Lawler from the begining and had always been elusive. Did not try to get crazy high and kept things up to double high E.

On my Adams A2 (old model with adjustable receiver) it seemed to work nice on the middle of the range with a lot of flexibility but volume was limited. I did get some improvement on high register reaching briefly double high G.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished practicing tonight and I paid extra attention to the low notes. I think I understand what you mean: it takes some extra care to play the low notes softly (and it's rather easy to play them too loud). Mostly on the A and G below the staff though.

I tried using a S backbore but that didn't change much...other than prove that I shouldn't mix up shanks and cups anymore...I'm too used to specific combinations and it really threw me off.

The thing you mentioned about volume and overblowing was something that I've experienced too. I've had occasions where I played the MC-40-M combination and I needed more volume...and I couldn't 'force' it. Not to the extent that I can with my other setup (bronze MSLead-40-S) anyway.

a.kemp wrote:
May work amazingly well on AR trumpets.

And on Olds Recordings.
anrapa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody!
Just a couple of thoughts, maybe these can be helpful to some of us:
- assuming that one combination of top/throat/backbore represents an entire line of products is not the right approach, especially when the selling point of that product is offering a huge number of options so that the player doesn't have to adapt to the mouthpiece but rather the mouthpiece must match what the player requires
- some players might feel that the low notes are lacking something, some other players might feel that the very same mouthpiece doesn't work on the high notes, some players might be the happiest people in the world with that combination. Again, each person is different
- a 4.0mm throat might seem too open to some and too tight to others. My experience is that almost all the people that swear they can't play anything bigger than a #27 o #28 are MUCH happier with a #21, if they are given the opportunity to try it and if they match it with the right backbore and cup diameter/depth. Those who don't work with a 4.0mm throat might work with a bigger one or a smaller one (I also custom make them with a 3.8mm (#24/25) bore).
- it is VERY true that jumping from a very small throat to a bigger one without having matched to the right backbore can be a challenge, that's why we should never buy blindly but always get "tutored" to the right combination by someone who is knowledgeable about a specific product.

What happens most of the times with the customers that call me is that they want "n.10 backbore, because I play a n.10 Warburton backbore". It takes me a lot of work to convince them that n.10 means nothing, and that my 10 is not anyone's 10. That's why I moved to Small, Medium and Large.
But now lead players call me asking for a large backbore because they feel their piece too tight. Those players normally require my extra small backbore but they simply can't know because they don't have a reference to compare to.

And about the very topic of this thread: if you feel like there's some of your range that is hard to play, most of the times the backbore is too open for you. It's an empiric thing, I've seen it over and over, and it's related to the lack of back pressure compared to what you expect from the equipment.

Trumpets and mouthpieces: the ones I make
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: