• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Underbite newbie question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rsrfl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Underbite newbie question Reply with quote

I know that questions about underbite have an asked before. I’m in a different situation. I’m actually a flute player, but my eight-year-old is interested in playing the trumpet. He does have an underbite. I’m wondering if it’s worth starting at all? Or is this just going to be really rough uphill battle for him? Are there any well-known trumpet players who have underbites?
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an underbite and I am doing fine.

I may not be the best and I may not ever be anywhere near the best but I have loved every minute I have spent learning trumpet and cornet and I would not have missed it for the world.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too much thinking. Under bite. Overbite. Tooth a little bit out of alignment. Bunch of stuff that that held no one back in times long past. Just play that horn.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a problem if both the upper and lower teeth (and lips) cannot to be used to support the mouthpiece rim. It can be important to adjust and transition the amount of rim pressure between the upper and lower lips. That usually means the jaw needs to be controlled to provide and maintain upper and lower lip pressure on the rim.
Some people accomplish it by tilting the horn, but I think it is important to also do it by jaw adjustment. Not much actual jaw movement is needed.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Underbite newbie question Reply with quote

Rsrfl wrote:
I know that questions about underbite have an asked before. I’m in a different situation. I’m actually a flute player, but my eight-year-old is interested in playing the trumpet. He does have an underbite. I’m wondering if it’s worth starting at all? Or is this just going to be really rough uphill battle for him? Are there any well-known trumpet players who have underbites?

Take him to a qualified teacher.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Underbite newbie question Reply with quote

Last edited by theslawdawg on Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Underbite newbie question Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
Billy B wrote:
Rsrfl wrote:

Take him to a qualified teacher.

No need. There are a bunch of TH members who are experts through the "Trumpet Mastery by Forum Posts" program!

+++
Rsrfl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! Maybe we’ll try him out with a teacher and see how it goes!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you! Reply with quote

Rsrfl wrote:
Thanks for the feedback! Maybe we’ll try him out with a teacher and see how it goes!

--------------------------------------
Since he is enthusiastic about playing trumpet, that's the way to go.
And before before getting a trumpet, ask the teacher if a short term loaner might be available. Rental is also an option. And used instruments can often be found on craigslist - good brand names are Bach, Yamaha, King, Blessing, Conn, Jupiter, Getzen, Olds, etc.
If you have friends who play trumpet, maybe one of them has a spare.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say for sure but the upward angle of their horns would suggest to me that Al Hirt and Woody Shaw had a bit of an underbite. I personally find it awkward to play that way and have no real functionality and assume it's natural to some because their dental and jaw structure is very different than mine.

I'd say the only way to tell if they're going to have success is for them to try with competent instruction and see what happens.

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Rsrfl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

OK, you convinced me! I think at least at one of those trumpet players looks like they have an underbite. And he really really wants to give it a try. So we will! Thank you for all of the encouragement!
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the upward angle of the horn has anything to do with underbite.
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people have underbites. It's not a deal breaker at all.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This online article…

https://lakeforestdentalarts.com/good-bite-bad-bite/

…states...

"About 70 percent of the population has some degree of an overbite.”

I believe that the bite, over or under, can very much be an influencing factor to horn angle. But I’ve been a professional player and teacher for many years with multiple degrees in music, so what would I know?
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
I can't say for sure but the upward angle of their horns would suggest to me that Al Hirt and Woody Shaw had a bit of an underbite. I personally find it awkward to play that way and have no real functionality and assume it's natural to some because their dental and jaw structure is very different than mine.

I'd say the only way to tell if they're going to have success is for them to try with competent instruction and see what happens.

I think the second picture is Art Farmer.
BTW the article mentioned by dstpt tells us that 5 to 10 % of the population has an underbite. So If you are both right an underbite is very good for trumpetplayers. There are heaps of trumpetplayers that play with an upward angle, (surely more than 5 to 10 %) to mention a few besides the ones already mentioned: Miles Davis, Andrea Giuffredi, indeed Woody Shaw, Freddie Hubbard, Clifford Brown (maybe), Chris Botti and so on. Still I think that the upward angle has no direct relation with over- or underbite, it's just the right way of playing for a lot of players.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
...I think the second picture is Art Farmer.
BTW the article mentioned by dstpt tells us that 5 to 10 % of the population has an underbite. So If you are both right an underbite is very good for trumpetplayers. There are heaps of trumpetplayers that play with an upward angle, (surely more than 5 to 10 %) to mention a few besides the ones already mentioned: Miles Davis, Andrea Giufreddi, indeed Woody Shaw, Freddie Hubbard, Clifford Brown (maybe), Chris Botti and so on. Still I think that the upward angle has no direct relation with over- or underbite, it's just the right way of playing for a lot of players.

Correction, delano; what I wrote was: "I believe that the bite, over or under, can very much be an influencing factor to horn angle." I've seen pros up close that have a definite overbite and yet play with an upward angle. They have to adjust their natural jaw position, but they found that it works for them. Nevertheless, in my experience, dental structure can play into how a person sets up and thus influence horn angle. I am also not saying that your list of jazz and commercial artists playing with an upward horn angle means they all have/had underbites. I quoted that article to bring attention to the statement by BudBix...

BudBix wrote:
Most people have underbites. It's not a deal breaker at all.

To the contrary, I’ve always understood the opposite, that most of the population has an overbite. Now the number of successful trumpet players over, say, the last century may or may not represent a 30-70 ratio of underbite to overbite, simply because of instances like those with overbites may have found jutting the jaw works better for them. All I’m saying is, in my experience as a teacher and having studied brass embouchure in hundreds of students and professionals through the years, that a person’s bite and other components of dental formation can be a determining factor in horn angle.

To the OP Rsrfl: Please note there are many individuals on TrumpetHerald with a wide variety of backgrounds. Some are professional players and/or have teaching experience, some are/do not. As a pro and a teacher, I’d echo what Billy B has already stated: "Take him to a qualified teacher.” However, I’d add this: There are some teachers that believe strongly that all players should play with a slight downward angle. For those with an underbite, this could be debilitating. I’ve seen it happen.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
delano wrote:
...I think the second picture is Art Farmer.
BTW the article mentioned by dstpt tells us that 5 to 10 % of the population has an underbite. So If you are both right an underbite is very good for trumpetplayers. There are heaps of trumpetplayers that play with an upward angle, (surely more than 5 to 10 %) to mention a few besides the ones already mentioned: Miles Davis, Andrea Giufreddi, indeed Woody Shaw, Freddie Hubbard, Clifford Brown (maybe), Chris Botti and so on. Still I think that the upward angle has no direct relation with over- or underbite, it's just the right way of playing for a lot of players.

Correction, delano; what I wrote was: "I believe that the bite, over or under, can very much be an influencing factor to horn angle." I've seen pros up close that have a definite overbite and yet play with an upward angle. They have to adjust their natural jaw position, but they found that it works for them. Nevertheless, in my experience, dental structure can play into how a person sets up and thus influence horn angle. I am also not saying that your list of jazz and commercial artists playing with an upward horn angle means they all have/had underbites. I quoted that article to bring attention to the statement by BudBix...

I did read you well but I was not sure what you meant by 'influencing factor'. On that point I think I agree with you if that means that the dental structure has influence for example on how much ankle is used. My point was more that playing with more or less an upward angle is a conscious choice.
lschofield

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overbite or not, I'm sure a parent doesn't want to see that picture of Hirt blowing with a cigarette in his left hand and a martini on the stand.
1975 Benge (LA)
1972 Olds Ambassador
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upper / lower teeth and lip alignment (and 'roll'), and mouthpiece angle all affect what lip surfaces are exposed to the air flow.

It can affect the directional 'feeling' of the air flow - straight towards the bottom of the cup, or a feeling of the air being directed upwards or downwards in the cup.
The goal is to obtain the desired air vibrations / pulses, and not have the lips locked into a 'cannot move' (or 'moves wrong') position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: