• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

C trumpet mouthpiece 5 rim?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: C trumpet mouthpiece 5 rim? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a stock/reasonably priced mouthpiece to recommend for c trumpet with a 5 sized rim? I have Kanstul's copy of the Monette c4, which is close, but the rim is not quite right for me.

I've tried the Yamaha 16c4/17b4 and liked them (I think that's what they sell with their orchestral trumpets).

The stock 5c doesn't feel quite right. I have a 5v. That has a large throat and is comfortable, so maybe that would be a good match? Bach doesn't seem to make their symphonic mouthpieces in that size. I guess I could try the 3c or go back to the larger yamahas. Just curious if anyone else has suggestions to try. I like the 5 rim and the endurance but if feels kind of tight on C.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry 5BC?
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: C trumpet mouthpiece 5 rim? Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
Does anyone have a stock/reasonably priced mouthpiece to recommend for c trumpet with a 5 sized rim? I have Kanstul's copy of the Monette c4, which is close, but the rim is not quite right for me.

I've tried the Yamaha 16c4/17b4 and liked them (I think that's what they sell with their orchestral trumpets).

The stock 5c doesn't feel quite right. I have a 5v. That has a large throat and is comfortable, so maybe that would be a good match? Bach doesn't seem to make their symphonic mouthpieces in that size. I guess I could try the 3c or go back to the larger yamahas. Just curious if anyone else has suggestions to try. I like the 5 rim and the endurance but if feels kind of tight on C.

Hammond 5MB.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on the large side in terms of cup volume, but you could try the Bach 5B. Lots of orch guys use that mouthpiece, but often with a different rim. You might also like the Yamaha John Hagstrom, which is quite inexpensive and definitely geared towards symphonic playing.
kristiner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry 5BC would be a no-brainer. It’s made for C trumpet with a deep cup, 24 throat, and symphonic backbore, and the rim is a copy of a Bach 5C. Price is right, too. Mark Curry is the best.
http://kristiner.com
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kristiner wrote:
Curry 5BC would be a no-brainer. It’s made for C trumpet with a deep cup, 24 throat, and symphonic backbore, and the rim is a copy of a Bach 5C. Price is right, too. Mark Curry is the best.

Yes, Curry would be an awesome choice. One benefit is that all of the rims within his series (like all 5's ) are the same shape. So you can try a C cup vs. an M or B and the rim will be the same.

I must ask, why you're stuck on the 5 ? Seems like an odd move from the Yamaha 16 - quite a different size and rim shape change.
note: Curry's rims aren't necessarily the same from number to number - 5 rims have a sharp bite (to me) but 3 rims are quite comfortable. They are modelled after old Bach designs.

I also support using the same size rim on all trumpets - not to confuse your chops from one to the other. What do you play on your Bb's? Most start there and look to modify the throat, backbore, or cup shape to best fit a C trumpet.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers. I found I could basically handle Bach 1-10 with no problem, but the 5c just seemed like a better fit (that's what I default to on Bb). I have a Curry 5FLD for my flugelhorn but the intonation is not totally there. I maybe should try the curry 3 rim if that seems much better. I don't mind some bite (have tried 1.5 and Bach 5b cornet) but the vanilla 5 is pretty good for me.

I think professionals mostly just go with the larger mouthpiece (Bach 1.5, Yamaha 16-17, etc.), but I think with limited practice time I'm looking for something that can be played orchestrally on a more modest rim (like a 5). The suggestions here are all good. I'll keep an eye out on curry.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a follow up after your last post...

I'd go for Curry's 3C (and then others).. I played a Bach 1 1/2C for years, love the sound (still do) but found it challenging to be consistent day to day with edurance and then in the upper register.
Curry's 3 rims are slight bigger than Bach 3's, and have a hair less bite. I find them to be an excellent compromise.. big sound, yet not so large a diameter. My endurance daily, and consistency day to day, week to week greatly improved when I made the switch.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a Hammond 5ML. All the specs are on Karl's website.
DOEL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best Bach 5 size rim mouthpieces for C orchestral playing are the Curry 5BC, Denis Wick American 5C, and a Stork 4 rim with 25 throat and C backbore. Stork allows you to chenge the cup with my favorite being the D+ and C while C+, B, B+ are popular.

It's also worth checking our getting a custom Bach 5B 24/24

I haven't tried a Hammond 5ML, Pickett 5BC 24 CS (C trumpet shank), or a Frost O6MV25-7. I imagine they might be what you're looking for.
23 Eb/D Thomann ETR-3300S silver - Stork 4D+25C
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Pickett 5BC/0 and 24 throat for a while since moved back to 3 size rims. 5SO top if you want to go deeper.
erez

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammond 5 rim equivalent the Bach 3c according to Hammond website. I tried his 5mlx and it felt smaller than typical 3c. I wonder if anyone else has the same experience?
Anyway, I will suggest to check Curry 5BC
DOEL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry 5BC, Denis Wick American 5C, and Stork Vacchiano 4B(+) or 4C(+) with a 25 throat and C or D backbore are all fantastic.
23 Eb/D Thomann ETR-3300S silver - Stork 4D+25C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: