• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What does the term in tune with itself really means?



 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Eduardo90
Regular Member


Joined: 26 Jul 2020
Posts: 16
Location: Dominican Republic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: What does the term in tune with itself really means? Reply with quote

Hi everybody i hope you all doing fine. Could somebody explain to me what people mean when they say that a particular model trumpet or horn in general is intune with itself and also could somebody explain to me what the center of the sound really is and if it is different from playing right on the green part of the tuner. Sorry for my poor english, and thanks in advance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
jairo_saade
Regular Member


Joined: 18 Jun 2020
Posts: 22
Location: Panamá

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For what I know it means that even if you tune the trumpet to certain notes taking reference from a piano or a tuner, some other notes are going to be out of tune.

For instance in a Bb trumpet if you tune the instrument based on A concert pitch (440hz), your B is going to be in tune, but some other notes might or might not be in tune, and that is why you need to use the valves tuning slides or use your embouchure to adjust those notes.

Some trumpets are better in tune with themselves meaning that once tuned to concert pitch most of the notes are going to be in tune (ish) requiring little or no adjustment.
_________________
Joe S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 24 Dec 2018
Posts: 1761
Location: Endwell NY USA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: What does the term in tune with itself really means? Reply with quote

Eduardo90 wrote:
... could somebody explain to me what the center of the sound really is and if it is different from playing right on the green part of the tuner. ...

------------------------------
My understanding is that the 'center of the sound' is when the tone of the sound is the best. A problem is that the pitch at that point might not be 'in tune'.
A horn that is 'in tune with itself' will have the 'best sound' and also be 'in tune'.

Electronic tuners are calibrated to the pitches for piano (equal temperament), and most actual trumpet playing is slightly different, so don't worry if you cannot make every note 'center' exactly on the tuner. The goal is to have your pitches and intervals sound good, and match other players (not the tuner!).

Mechanical adjustments to the trumpet such as mouthpiece gap, and valve alignment can have a noticeable effect on the tuning and sound quality.
My 'rough guide' about sound quality is that all of the 'valve combinations' should have similar 'sound quality'. If some valve combinations are noticeably less good, then there might be a problem with valve alignment.
_________________
going back to French horn!
Yamaha 668N, Holton DC mpc
The 'next note' is the most important one.
Don't take a '20 minute mouthpiece' to a 1 hour session.
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/2021_April_1_snow_web.jpg
April morning Surprise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eduardo90
Regular Member


Joined: 26 Jul 2020
Posts: 16
Location: Dominican Republic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: What does the term in tune with itself really means? Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Eduardo90 wrote:
... could somebody explain to me what the center of the sound really is and if it is different from playing right on the green part of the tuner. ...

------------------------------
My understanding is that the 'center of the sound' is when the tone of the sound is the best. A problem is that the pitch at that point might not be 'in tune'.
A horn that is 'in tune with itself' will have the 'best sound' and also be 'in tune'.

Electronic tuners are calibrated to the pitches for piano (equal temperament), and most actual trumpet playing is slightly different, so don't worry if you cannot make every note 'center' exactly on the tuner. The goal is to have your pitches and intervals sound good, and match other players (not the tuner!).

Mechanical adjustments to the trumpet such as mouthpiece gap, and valve alignment can have a noticeable effect on the tuning and sound quality.
My 'rough guide' about sound quality is that all of the 'valve combinations' should have similar 'sound quality'. If some valve combinations are noticeably less good, then there might be a problem with valve alignment.




Thanks a lot for your valuable answer, it really help me to understand those conceps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Eduardo90
Regular Member


Joined: 26 Jul 2020
Posts: 16
Location: Dominican Republic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jairo_saade wrote:
Hi,

For what I know it means that even if you tune the trumpet to certain notes taking reference from a piano or a tuner, some other notes are going to be out of tune.

For instance in a Bb trumpet if you tune the instrument based on A concert pitch (440hz), your B is going to be in tune, but some other notes might or might not be in tune, and that is why you need to use the valves tuning slides or use your embouchure to adjust those notes.

Some trumpets are better in tune with themselves meaning that once tuned to concert pitch most of the notes are going to be in tune (ish) requiring little or no adjustment.






Thanks a lot for your valuable answer, it really help me to understand those conceps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 727
Location: Levittown NY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means the intervals play in tune.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group