• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What does the term in tune with itself really means?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eduardo90

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: What does the term in tune with itself really means? Reply with quote

Hi everybody i hope you all doing fine. Could somebody explain to me what people mean when they say that a particular model trumpet or horn in general is intune with itself and also could somebody explain to me what the center of the sound really is and if it is different from playing right on the green part of the tuner. Sorry for my poor english, and thanks in advance.
jairo_saade

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For what I know it means that even if you tune the trumpet to certain notes taking reference from a piano or a tuner, some other notes are going to be out of tune.

For instance in a Bb trumpet if you tune the instrument based on A concert pitch (440hz), your B is going to be in tune, but some other notes might or might not be in tune, and that is why you need to use the valves tuning slides or use your embouchure to adjust those notes.

Some trumpets are better in tune with themselves meaning that once tuned to concert pitch most of the notes are going to be in tune (ish) requiring little or no adjustment.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: What does the term in tune with itself really means? Reply with quote

Eduardo90 wrote:
... could somebody explain to me what the center of the sound really is and if it is different from playing right on the green part of the tuner. ...

------------------------------
My understanding is that the 'center of the sound' is when the tone of the sound is the best. A problem is that the pitch at that point might not be 'in tune'.
A horn that is 'in tune with itself' will have the 'best sound' and also be 'in tune'.

Electronic tuners are calibrated to the pitches for piano (equal temperament), and most actual trumpet playing is slightly different, so don't worry if you cannot make every note 'center' exactly on the tuner. The goal is to have your pitches and intervals sound good, and match other players (not the tuner!).

Mechanical adjustments to the trumpet such as mouthpiece gap, and valve alignment can have a noticeable effect on the tuning and sound quality.
My 'rough guide' about sound quality is that all of the 'valve combinations' should have similar 'sound quality'. If some valve combinations are noticeably less good, then there might be a problem with valve alignment.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Eduardo90

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: What does the term in tune with itself really means? Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Eduardo90 wrote:
... could somebody explain to me what the center of the sound really is and if it is different from playing right on the green part of the tuner. ...

------------------------------
My understanding is that the 'center of the sound' is when the tone of the sound is the best. A problem is that the pitch at that point might not be 'in tune'.
A horn that is 'in tune with itself' will have the 'best sound' and also be 'in tune'.

Electronic tuners are calibrated to the pitches for piano (equal temperament), and most actual trumpet playing is slightly different, so don't worry if you cannot make every note 'center' exactly on the tuner. The goal is to have your pitches and intervals sound good, and match other players (not the tuner!).

Mechanical adjustments to the trumpet such as mouthpiece gap, and valve alignment can have a noticeable effect on the tuning and sound quality.
My 'rough guide' about sound quality is that all of the 'valve combinations' should have similar 'sound quality'. If some valve combinations are noticeably less good, then there might be a problem with valve alignment.

Thanks a lot for your valuable answer, it really help me to understand those conceps.
Eduardo90

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jairo_saade wrote:
Hi,

For what I know it means that even if you tune the trumpet to certain notes taking reference from a piano or a tuner, some other notes are going to be out of tune.

For instance in a Bb trumpet if you tune the instrument based on A concert pitch (440hz), your B is going to be in tune, but some other notes might or might not be in tune, and that is why you need to use the valves tuning slides or use your embouchure to adjust those notes.

Some trumpets are better in tune with themselves meaning that once tuned to concert pitch most of the notes are going to be in tune (ish) requiring little or no adjustment.

Thanks a lot for your valuable answer, it really help me to understand those conceps.
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means the intervals play in tune.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: