• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I want to remove Lacquer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozmuha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: I want to remove Lacquer Reply with quote

Hi Tpt-Heralders:

My Xeno is lacquered and has acquired dark blemish blotches in and outside the bell. I want to remove them. I believe the only solution is to strip the lacquer and use a silver polish to get rid of them.

If I do this will it dramatically effect the sound of the trumpet? Why is lacquer applied to the finish of a horn anyway?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Ozier
Selmer Signet (56?)
Monette B4 S3
Yamaha 16C4
Yamaha 8C4
Bach 1 1/2 C
Bach Megatone 7C
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver horns are almost never lacquered. So if your horn is lacquered removing lacquer and applying silver polish probably shouldn’t be the first thing to try.

Many reasons for lacquer. Some are:

Provide a protective layer between the human’s contact points and the metal to prevent reactions either in the human, think metal allergies, or metal, salts reacting to tarnish or damage.

To prevent tarnish due to environmental issues.

Prevent scratching the metal.

Make an instrument look pretty.
walldaja

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that you will notice any difference in the way your horn plays after removing the lacquer.

I presume you have a gold lacquered horn, so after the lacquer is removed use BRASS polish rather than silver polish.

If you have a silver horn, I find it unlikely that it has any lacquer on it and just polishing with silver polish would take care of it.

Lacquer is sprayed on an instrument after the brass is brightly polished to preserve that polished appearance. Without a coating (like lacquer) the polished brass will become darker and darker. So instead of just having a few dark blotches you may have an entire bell looking like that.

Be careful of what you use to remove the lacquer both from a health perspective and damaging to the horn. There are many videos on YouTube of folks de-lacquering their instruments.

Best wishes!

Sonare TRC-800, Dennis Wick 1.5C
Blessing Standard, Denis Wick 1.5C
Accent TR959 CDB C tpt Stork XM2 Studio Mstr
Jupiter 846S Flug Schilke 18F
Shires Q30GR T-bone 5 / 4 CL
Yamaha YBL-421G T-bone 2 CL
Jean Baptist Euphonium Stork 4
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures could help to tell what the situation is (some Yamahas are susceptible to red rot, particularly on the tuning slide).
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's certainly true silver plated horns usually don't have lacquer, there are exceptions. King Silver Tone/Silver Sonic is one (OK, not plated but still silver). Raw brass tarnishes quickly. Copper is the worst. Unlacquered silver holds its shine a long time for me. Paint remover is the easiest way I know of to remove lacquer. Red rouge is good for polishing, and aluminum oxide too. Silver is easy to polish.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to keep in mind is that most polishes remove a small amount of metal each time you use it. Back in my the dark ages, when I was starting, silver polishing clothes were sold that included an rouge impregnated cloth.

Compulsive users of the rouge cloth could be spotted by the missing silver plate on their horns.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you guys actually compared using brass polish vs. silver polish? I bet you haven't. I have used both Brasso and 3M Tarnishield on raw brass. Tarnishield is by far the better choice, as it produces a much finer finish with much less effort. The best use of Brasso, IMO is to brighten copper. It works almost instantaneously.

OP, your Xeno is most likely coated with some form of polyester/acrylic resin, as opposed to the nitro-cellulose lacquers of old. Each manufacturer keeps a strip tank on hand to remove these modern finishes when things don't go right and have to be redone. I have it on good authority that those stripping chemicals are extremely expensive to dispose of because they are extremely hazardous. Make sure you do some research before attempting to strip your horn. Talk to someone who has the knowledge to do it.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in NYC, then I highly recommend taking it to Josh Landress.
Having it professionally done by him (or his team) will not only make it
look amazing, but not change the sound in the least.
https://www.jlandressbrass.com/
walldaja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth stopping by Josh's place just for a visit!

Sonare TRC-800, Dennis Wick 1.5C
Blessing Standard, Denis Wick 1.5C
Accent TR959 CDB C tpt Stork XM2 Studio Mstr
Jupiter 846S Flug Schilke 18F
Shires Q30GR T-bone 5 / 4 CL
Yamaha YBL-421G T-bone 2 CL
Jean Baptist Euphonium Stork 4
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: I want to remove Lacquer Reply with quote

ozmuha wrote:
Hi Tpt-Heralders:

My Xeno is lacquered and has acquired dark blemish blotches in and outside the bell. I want to remove them. I believe the only solution is to strip the lacquer and use a silver polish to get rid of them.

If I do this will it dramatically effect the sound of the trumpet? Why is lacquer applied to the finish of a horn anyway?

Ozier

Lacquer holds the high polish of the metal. Yamaha lacquer is very tough stuff, you'd have to take it to a shop that uses a hot stripping solution. And it will look far worse than it does now. I'd take it to a repair person to look at the blemishes you mention. It's possible they are under the lacquer. If that's the case, the lacquer would be buffed off and the spot revealed would be lacquered to stop it from tarnishing. The color will be different and probably obvious.

I usually advise people to leave well enough alone.
https://yourbrass.com/
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: I want to remove Lacquer Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
ozmuha wrote:
Hi Tpt-Heralders:

Ozier

Lacquer holds the high polish of the metal. Yamaha lacquer is very tough stuff, you'd have to take it to a shop that uses a hot stripping solution. And it will look far worse than it does now. I'd take it to a repair person to look at the blemishes you mention. It's possible they are under the lacquer. If that's the case, the lacquer would be buffed off and the spot revealed would be lacquered to stop it from tarnishing. The color will be different and probably obvious.

I usually advise people to leave well enough alone.

OP, note that YourBrass is a professional brass tech, where most of the rest of us just trumpeters.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Have any of you guys actually compared using brass polish vs. silver polish? I bet you haven't. I have used both Brasso and 3M Tarnishield on raw brass. Tarnishield is by far the better choice, as it produces a much finer finish with much less effort.

Nothing beats real world results.

I based my post on the knowledge that silver cleaners often include chemicals to remove the sulphur from the tarnish, silver sulfide (Ag2S).

The piece I was missing, and found now with a little googling, was that some forms brass tarnish are reactions with sulphur. Which might be why it worked for you. Or it could be that it always works.

Going forward I will leave it up to the pros and non-pros who have actually used it.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a silver Xeno then it is VERY unlikely to be lacquered. Take it to a shop (Josh Landress) and have it evaluated. If silver polish doesn't do the job then a repair tech can hit it lightly with the rouge wheel. They may also have a chemical dip that will suck out the tarnish. If you can find an old style Blitz cloth with the red rouge on the inside that may well take care of it. (It is a bit messy).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: