• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Supply issues, build quality covid/post-covid era?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Supply issues, build quality covid/post-covid era? Reply with quote

I've been looking around and a lot of the more common high brass instruments are in really short supply, if not totally out of stock most places.

Given recent events, boats getting stuck in major waterways, not to mention shutdown/lockdown orders at places all over the globe, I'm wondering if anyone else is worried that even if you can find a horn you're interested in right now, is the quality going to be there, or will there be a stigma with horns made in the middle of this, sort of like 'strike horns' from certain brands in the past having a reputation for being 'lemons' and such?

I really want a new Bb, but just sort of nervous about doing it right now.
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Supply issues, build quality covid/post-covid era? Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
I've been looking around and a lot of the more common high brass instruments are in really short supply, if not totally out of stock most places.

Given recent events, boats getting stuck in major waterways, not to mention shutdown/lockdown orders at places all over the globe, I'm wondering if anyone else is worried that even if you can find a horn you're interested in right now, is the quality going to be there, or will there be a stigma with horns made in the middle of this, sort of like 'strike horns' from certain brands in the past having a reputation for being 'lemons' and such?

While Covid has slowed the overall rate of getting things from overseas the supply chain is still totally spot on. The Suez isn't involved with the brass industry (we get boat shipments from our factories in Asia every month). No stigma... the brass world is alive and well!

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a few custom workshops that have longer-than-normal wait times due to COVID-related factors, but I don't see how this would effect the quality of production. If you're worried about a piccolo trumpet made in India getting stuck in the Suez Canal en route to your doorstep.... I don't think the shipping delay is the reason it will play poorly. The music industry is struggling right now, and I know for a fact that any trumpet shop would really appreciate your business now more than ever.
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Supply issues, build quality covid/post-covid era? Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
or will there be a stigma with horns made in the middle of this, sort of like 'strike horns' from certain brands in the past having a reputation for being 'lemons' and such?

That brand had a reputation of regularly producing lemons long before that strike, and still has QC issues to this day, and they don't have to ship anything through a canal to get to your neck of the woods.

There are other brands out there doing what they're doing except at a higher level. A maker in Massachusetts comes to mind..
Good Ol' Boy ID#3624360
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Supply issues, build quality covid/post-covid era? Reply with quote

trumpet_cop wrote:
RandyTX wrote:
or will there be a stigma with horns made in the middle of this, sort of like 'strike horns' from certain brands in the past having a reputation for being 'lemons' and such?

That brand had a reputation of regularly producing lemons long before that strike, and still has QC issues to this day, and they don't have to ship anything through a canal to get to your neck of the woods.

There are other brands out there doing what they're doing except at a higher level. A maker in Massachusetts comes to mind..

And yet they still outsell everyone else. 🤷‍♂️

But place of manufacturing doesn’t minimize shortages in supply lines. Which might need to go through the canal. 😉

Also the quarantine can affect nonessential businesses in ways other than shipping. It is pretty hard to work from home when building a valve block or bell, although there are exceptions like Domenick.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are looking for a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. There are tons of quality instruments available from makers, dealers and private individuals. What exactly are you looking for in a Bb trumpet and what is your price range?
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: build quality covid or post covid era Reply with quote

The quality of any horn one might purchase now probably has little or nothing to do with being in a global pandemic. Whether it is a health care individual or a builder of musical instruments people tend to deliver quality and take pride in doing that.
jmock

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm coming back after a couple years off during which I helped my older son make it to college baseball as a pitcher...

I can only share my experience: I bought a Kanstul 1500 Bb custom version off the marketplace (in February) and seem to have gotten a good deal indeed. I wanted a new Kanstul trumpet of a standard model that I could live with, and excepting a few horns on Ebay, etc. they do seem to be scarce now, since they closed the factory a couple years ago. One was listed here that allegedly had only 20 hours of playing time on it (but the slides were already tarnished, etc.). I took a chance and bought it for the $1635, and took it to A Minor Tune-up for ultrasonic cleaning. In his opinion, after disassembling and cleaning it (previous owned had managed to get lots of petroleum based gunk on it, and I use all synthetic lubricants which create much less gunk) was that indeed it IS a brand new horn. The valves in particular show basically no wear whatsoever--are not even broken in yet but in typical Kanstul fashion work extremely well.

I think it helps to know exactly what you are looking for.

From my model train hobby as someone who has worked in that industry, during any economic downturn, men tend to have more time on their hands, and can and do go out and buy that model train they've always wanted, or that trumpet they always wanted. It happened all the more with Covid. Now a year later the model train inventories have recovered, and there does seem to be plenty of good trumpets available to buy.

John

Last edited by jmock on Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:16 am; edited 2 times in total
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: build quality covid or post covid era Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
The quality of any horn one might purchase now probably has little or nothing to do with being in a global pandemic.

Actually things like the pandemic can have a huge impact on the quality of goods produced. I believe that much of the quality issues found in trumpets are lack of testing and tweaking to repair or fix issues. This can be expensive in manpower costs and if one is already short handed there is a temptation to skip some of this.

I also believe that this is partly responsible for a certain company’s reputation.

blbaumgarn wrote:
Whether it is a health care individual or a builder of musical instruments people tend to deliver quality and take pride in doing that.

If only this were true, but it just simply isn’t. Some do, some don’t. And then there are the ones in between that might be burned out, just putting in the hours earning a paycheck, grieving over friends and relatives hit by the pandemic, etc.

You will find a spectrum of performance levels in any job category.

Also, think about the POSs that have been produced on the low end of the price spectrum. The individuals and companies producing those instruments certainly weren’t focused on quality. Or at least not what most of us consider quality.

Food for thought.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd thought currency differences might make a difference. US dollar is lower now compared to currencies in east asia, so I could see that pushing up the cost of parts and instruments in the year ahead.

I also don't know how instrument costs are influenced by recessions. It seemed like at the start of Covid people were selling more of their collections, but it's quieted down now, and some folk who maybe would have traveled or who got money might now be putting it into their hobbies (similar to what John said).
Aspeyrer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several notable trumpet manufacturers that used this opportunity to clear senior employees in order to hire a fresh batch at lower pay. On the other hand, there were also quite a few workers that
took this opportunity to retire or even find their way into another profession. Your concerns of getting an inferior horn are valid. But, so are the manufacturers concerns with their reputation.

Another issue is that manufacturers often build instruments that have already been ordered (seems logical). Because many retailers were not sure of what was in store, they did not order their typical loads, if anything. That being said, some notable trumpet manufacturers have raised their prices just a smidge to seemingly make up for this shortage.

In summary; quality stuff is still being made. Be as discerning as one would be when shelling out thousands for any instrument.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: