• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke cornet mouthpieces for Conn 80A

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrowlerBox
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Schilke cornet mouthpieces for Conn 80A Reply with quote

My favourite trumpet mouthpiece is a Schilke 13, which I use with my Carol 5000-series trumpet. My other horn is a Conn 80A, from which I like to get a trumpet-like tone, only a little mellower, darker, "smokier," if you like.

The horn is from the late 40s, and came with the ubiquitous Conn 4 mouthpiece, with which it plays nicely in tune, and produces the sort of tone I'm looking for. The only thing I don't get along with is the rim, and the relatively sharp bite, which are very different from the standard Schilke profile. The only alternatives I've tried are a couple of Wick pieces, which have an even worse rim profile (for me), and move the tone further away from trumpetty into cornet-land, and an old Lew Davis Custom "Super Cushion", which has a very small, shallow, V-cup and a very wide, rounded rim on a long shank (I bought it in a matched set with the equivalent trumpet piece, just out of interest) which is useable, but gives me a very airy tone. Tuning isn't terrible with these, but a little less consistent than with the original mouthpiece.

Has anyone tried a standard Schilke cornet mouthpiece in their 80A? Opinions seem to go back and forth here regarding the necessity of the Conn-tapered shank in pre-1954-ish 80As for maintaining consistent tuning. If the Schilke is not likely to work, is there something close that will (e.g. a Curry piece that has a similar feel with the Conn-taper)?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Yamaha short shank (British style) 16E and the rim feels like my 16C4. It works well on my 1927 80A. They have a model close to yours.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
laundryman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience with the mouthpieces you mention. I have used a Yamaha 11C4 which for me blended well with trumpet sound. For me it proved sharp at some mid range notes and flat below the staff. Earlier this year I switched ta Curry 3 c vintage cornet mouthpiece with the Conn taper. The sound is not as bright but more notes are easier to lip in. It took about three months to adjust from the Yamaha mouthpiece.
My 80 A was made in 1941.
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a Curry vintage mouthpiece and a Curry BBC to play around with my Conn 80A.
Both producing a slightly different kind of sound.
Although the looks of the vintage model perfectly fit the instrument built in 1919.
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
GrowlerBox
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your responses so far; I suspected that the combination of horn and mouthpiece in question would not be a common one.

Yamaha may be a good option, and they are available locally; if someone could remind me what the closest size to a schilke 13 is likely to be, I'd be grateful. I seem to recall from other discussions here that the size designations no longer correspond exactly between Schilke and Yamaha, assuming they ever did.

Thanks again
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot give direct information but we can derive some.

I have a yamaha 11e4 and that rim size measures 16.46 mm

The schilke 11e rim is stated to be 16.58 mm

I have a yamaha 16e4 and the rim size measures 17.14 mm

The schilke 16 rim is stated to be 17.2 mm

The schilke 13 rim is stated to be anywhere between 16.76 and 16.89 depending on the model in the 13 range

The schilke 11 is supposed to be the same as a yamaha 11 the schilke 13a4a is supposed to be the same as a a yamaha 13a4a,

I would suggest that the truth is the yamaha piece wants to be slightly smaller than a direct equivalent schilke model to be a direct equal.

That puts it as anything between a yamaha 13e4 at 16.7 mm and a 14e at 16.86 mm.

This preserves the principle that yamaha equivalents are slightly smaller than schilkes, but you need to select not by statistical analysis but instead by trying them out and seeing what you sound best on.

I have played my 80a quite happily on a yamaha 11e4 but it really rocks on an ultra deep vee much deeper than a yamaha 16e

It depends more on what you bring to it, also do not forget that different ages of 80a play with a different timbre so others experiences may not be of any value when considering your model of 80a.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: