• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Owned a YTR8335 Xeno for 15 years, looking for an addition!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jespermathijssen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Owned a YTR8335 Xeno for 15 years, looking for an addition! Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have owned and played a Yamaha YTR8335G Xeno for about 15 years now, and I am curious to what other kinds of high-end trumpets there are in the market, and which are good recommendations. I have heard about various brands like Thein, Weimann, Hub van Laar and Schagerl but am a bit overwhelmed with the options and Do's/Don'ts. I also wouldn't know how to go about trying these and to select what I would be looking for. I think I'm looking for an alternative Bb trumpet, but I'm open to suggestions.

Settings (I'm based in the Netherlands, Eindhoven area):
YTR8335G : Wind band and solo trumpet work
Besson 2028-2-0 Prestige : British Brass Band and solo cornet works
Couesnon Monopole : Filling in flugel parts, solo works.

I do have the ambition to play in Symphony orchestra one time, but it seems quite hard to get into one at this moment in my area, and I don't want to buy a C or Eb/D trumpet. Alternatively I could look for a Piccolo Trumpet, but I have trouble justifying that with the relative lack of pieces that I can play with it.

I'm curious as to what your recommendations are. I'm very curious towards your personal favorites.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bb trumpet you have right now is a versatile set up along the lines of a Bach 18037 with some added warmth and "density" to the sound from the gold brass bell.

You might consider a trumpet that offers more in brighter, lighter categories to give you some more options. Of the manufacturers you mentioned, I'm only familiar with Van Laar and Adams -- having played many of their models. Van Laar trumpets are fantastic. The B1 might be a good starting point for your consideration. You might also consider an Adams A1 or A5.

Good luck!
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Owned a YTR8335 Xeno for 15 years, looking for an additi Reply with quote

jespermathijssen wrote:
I think I'm looking for an alternative Bb trumpet, but I'm open to suggestions.
I'm curious as to what your recommendations are. I'm very curious towards your personal favorites.

If you don't even know what you're looking for yourself, then it's quite hard for us to give any recommendations. I'd be more than happy to rattle off a list of the trumpets I like or would like to buy, but I'm not sure how helpful that'd be to you.

Maybe you could elaborate a bit on why you want to buy a new trumpet? Do you feel your Xeno is lacking in some way (specifically, is there a reason why you'd think it's not suited for you to use in a Symphonic orchestra)?

Also, you mentioned you live near Eindhoven...the Adams factory isn't too far from where you live. They have a great selection of horns (both their own and occasions from other brands) and I'm sure they could give you detailed information on the various options for their instruments.
jairo_saade

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Considering your goal is symphonic orchestra in Europe, you should consider a Rotary Bb trumpet. As far as I know rotary is the norm in Europe.

I think Schagerl would be the most mainstream horn for rotary, but there are some really fine boutique manufacturers of rotary in Austria and Germany.

If you just want to have your own safari of trumpets, I would start by making a trip to the Adams factory in Itervoort and try different models and materials.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: