• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Third valve slide

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HJL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Third valve slide Reply with quote

I have recently begun playing an Olds Special Cornet (circa 1961). The third valve slide moves at the very end, the tube has a bracket. I would like to have the bracket taken off and a ring put on a stem to allow moving the slide. Is this feasible?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you’re talking about putting a ring on the end of a third slide “dump slide”, I don’t think it would work well, I doubt it would move easily enough to tune D or C#....if this is what you’re thinking of doing.

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the older instruments had longer third valve crooks that "averaged" the length so that D and C# weren't as far out of tune. If your horn uses that design you might want to shorten the crook legs too.

If it were me I wouldn't spend the time or money.

Edit: on further reflection I think maybe both the first and third crooks are longer in that design.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: