• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stable horn stand

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Stable horn stand Reply with quote

Currently using the KM five leg, have tried the Hercules, both the three leg and the small five leg. YEARS ago I used Hamilton (like nearly everyone else).

The KM five leg seems the most stable (although the bell is pretty close to floor/foot level), anyone else tried anything else?

(And I KNOW and agree that the safest stand is no stand, put it in the case. I do use Torpedo cases, they’re obviously the safest, but sometimes not as practical on a crowded stage).

Thanks.

Brad
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's for home, these look nice. Haven't tried one myself though:
https://heritagemusicproducts.com/store/trumpet-stands/

I use the K&M stands like everyone else. At home I have my horns hanging on the wall with various String Swing products.

If you have a very stable mic stand or music stand, K&M makes a hook that you can hang your horn from, this lets you leave a mute in.

Hercules pegs are available without the base, you could make your own stand like these.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet

Last edited by ayryq on Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayryq wrote:

I use the K&M stands like everyone else. At home I have my horns hanging on the wall with various String Swing products.

It would be for gigs, but that wooden one does look interesting.

Brad
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
When asked if he always sounds great:
"I always try, but not always, because the horn is merciless, unpredictable and traitorous." - Arturo Sandoval

Did you recently add the first line? I've wondered for a long time about this quote and it makes way more sense with that little bit of context.
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayryq wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
When asked if he always sounds great:
"I always try, but not always, because the horn is merciless, unpredictable and traitorous." - Arturo Sandoval

Did you recently add the first line? I've wondered for a long time about this quote and it makes way more sense with that little bit of context.

I did, you’re right, it was confusing without it. Actually I just noticed it today so I changed it.

Brad
Troy Sargent
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these. They are also more versatile (you can put a piccolo or flugelhorn on them)

https://www.hornguys.com/products/spyder-stand

Very stable and they last forever as long as you don't strip the screw. It doesn't need to be cranked tight
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Sargent wrote:
I love these. They are also more versatile (you can put a piccolo or flugelhorn on them)

Very stable and they last forever as long as you don't strip the screw. It doesn't need to be cranked tight

A lot of people seem to like them but this quote from the page at your link makes me wonder.

The Horn Guys wrote:
These stands are fragile, so do treat them delicately. Do not tighten the center shaft too much. They can stick, and then the stand may break when you attempt to loosen it. Replacement parts are _not_ easily available. No warranty against breakage is included with the Spyder stand.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayryq wrote:

If you have a very stable mic stand or music stand, K&M makes a hook that you can hang your horn from, this lets you leave a mute in.

Hercules pegs are available without the base, you could make your own stand like these.

The K&M hook would put too much pressure on a single point of the tubing bend - do you ever see horns in musical stores supported in that fashion?
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
ayryq wrote:

The K&M hook would put too much pressure on a single point of the tubing bend - do you ever see horns in musical stores supported in that fashion?

Hanging it by the bell crook won't cause any problems unless you really slammed the trumpet down on the hook, plus it's got foam padding by the looks of it.

Personally I think the Hercules 5 leg is the best trumpet stand on the market.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="etc-etc"]
ayryq wrote:
...The K&M hook would put too much pressure on a single point of the tubing bend - do you ever see horns in musical stores supported in that fashion?

I would not trust what music stores do to necessarily be a directive for players, pros or non-pros. I got a few of these 2-3 years ago and have used them to "hold" many horns...picc to Bb. I also slip piping insulation around the outer shaft of the music, or mic, stand to protect the bell rim. Some pros use these for quick changes between, say, one trumpet with mute (with tuning slide already adjusted) and their open trumpet. I do draw the line at hanging any of my bell-tuned horns on these hooks, though...just not comfortable with that, since in a hurry, I may loosen to lubricate the bell or tune it, get distracted by someone calling my name across the pit, and then forget to tighten down the thumbscrews! It could happen. But in general, hanging a trumpet by the bell crook has not shown any problems.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Troy Sargent wrote:

A lot of people seem to like them but this quote from the page at your link makes me wonder.

The Horn Guys wrote:
These stands are fragile, so do treat them delicately. Do not tighten the center shaft too much. They can stick, and then the stand may break when you attempt to loosen it. Replacement parts are _not_ easily available. No warranty against breakage is included with the Spyder stand.

I appreciate everyone’s input, but I tend to agree that those Spyder stands look pretty much the opposite of stable and sturdy, though I have not used one myself.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:30 am; edited 2 times in total
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on Spyder stands in this thread from July 2019 in which the OP participated, but it might have some helpful and related info for others...

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150140&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I appreciate everyone’s input, but I tend to agree that those Spyder stands look pretty much the opposite of stable and sturdy, though I have not used one myself.

Brad

Well, my Spyder stand is very solid and has lasted 25 years.

I'm not sure about current production, though.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad

Well, my Spyder stand is very solid and has lasted 25 years.

I'm not sure about current production, though.

Ok, I can’t argue with that, especially since I’ve never actually tried one.

Brad
Troy Sargent
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Troy Sargent wrote:

The Horn Guys wrote:

Yep, thats the screw stripping issue. I've never had an issue with it but I can see how if you cranked it it could get completely stuck. By design, the stand has plenty of threads and isn't going to work itself loose. As long as you "just touch" the bottom of the threads it'll be perfect.

On Finn's point about the current production: I have several of the black modern production ones. I've compared them to my teachers old red and blue ones (that have lasted decades) and I haven't found any difference. They are the same molds and either the same or equivalent material. If anything my new ones seem to be more rigid but that could also just be that they are much newer.

On a usage note, I actually found them to be quite a bit more stable than the K&M stands (I had a mix at one point but now only use the spyders). The footprint is wider and more sturdy so I trust the Spyders more especially on soft floors like thicker carpet. The horn also sits a few inches off the floor with the Spyder which I like. Honestly, I don't see a way that they would fail spectacularly during use. As one anecdote, I've seen someone fully step on one of the legs of a black Spyder (with a trumpet on it) and while the bottom of the stand touched the floor the legs didn't break and the stand instantly resumed use seemingly no worse for wear (and saved the horn in the process).

Before I bought my first Spyder stand I was using K&Ms and had some reservations about the Spyder. I bought one to see if I would like it and now use them exclusively. For 30$ or so it was well worth the risk (at least for me) to try one.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy,

When I read the quoted text on the website of people selling the product it said a couple of things to me.

First, there must be a significant number of people experiencing this since no seller in his right might would put such a strong warning in a product’s description. (It might just be a lot of kids do this and for a reasonably careful person it is not an issue. But parents might get upset, hence the clear warning. 🤷‍♂️)

Second, there must be a demand for them or the seller would stop carrying them to avoid upset customers.

I do miss the old Hamilton stands. The new ones just aren’t the same.
Troy Sargent
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

First, there must be a significant number of people experiencing this since no seller in his right might would put such a strong warning in a product’s description. (It might just be a lot of kids do this and for a reasonably careful person it is not an issue. But parents might get upset, hence the clear warning. 🤷‍♂️)

Second, there must be a demand for them or the seller would stop carrying them to avoid upset customers.

Yep, I 100% agree with both. I'll admit to being aware of the sticking issue and being careful with mine while opening / closing them.

LittleRusty wrote:

I do miss the old Hamilton stands. The new ones just aren’t the same.

Interestingly, I haven't had a lot of in-person exposure to these stands despite hearing about them fairly often. Im not sure why.
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Sargent wrote:

Interestingly, I haven't had a lot of in-person exposure to these stands despite hearing about them fairly often. Im not sure why.

I have one and rarely use it. The main thing is how very large it is compared to a K&M, for transport.
After many years of use, the screw has to be really cranked down to keep it from sliding, making it hard to adjust for a different bell. I see the new ones have black plastic—mine has white—but I never quite trust the materials on this stand for some reason. I see most people use them with a sock or glove to further pad the bell.

If I have to say something nice, it is possible to adjust so that you can use one stand for trumpet and flugel. And the height makes it a little easier to swap horns on a standing (big band) gig.
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayryq wrote:

Thanks for mentioning the Boston Triple Trumpet Stand.

Back story: Actually this stand was developed by a trumpet player who subbed with the Boston Symphony along with myself..
Someone, probably a trumpet player made a triangular stand that sat on legs and attached to the music stand. The entire section used them. I think they are very very old. The peg is like a spike.

So most of my sales are to orchestra trumpet sections. Sometimes the orchestra management buys them and sometimes the players buy them. Some do sell for home use. Music ministers also buy them and leave them attached in the church.

Cheers,

Gordon Stump
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstump wrote:
ayryq wrote:

Thanks for mentioning the Boston Triple Trumpet Stand.

Back story: Actually this stand was developed by a trumpet player who subbed with the Boston Symphony along with myself..
Someone, probably a trumpet player made a triangular stand that sat on legs and attached to the music stand. The entire section used them. I think they are very very old. The peg is like a spike.

So most of my sales are to orchestra trumpet sections. Sometimes the orchestra management buys them and sometimes the players buy them. Some do sell for home use. Music ministers also buy them and leave them attached in the church.

Cheers,

Gordon Stump

I own one of Gordon's stands for my home studio and I love it. I keep my collapsable stands in my case and beautiful solid wood stand out for daily use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: