• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Singing Trumpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: The Singing Trumpet Reply with quote

My method book “The Singing Trumpet” has finally been published (Carl Fischer). It’s taken 25 years to write, and it’s different. I hope I’ve included something useful for every type of player.
Available from Carlfishscher.com.
Thx for your consideration.
Reviews welcome.
Peter Bond
Eliot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Any chance of putting up a Table of Contents and/or a description of the contents?

Will the purchaser be looking at/reading technical musical studies or breathing exercises/studies?

Hope so to read more soon.
B&S 150A Alto-Tenor Horn
Yamaha FZ8n (motorcycle)
Conn 83B (trumpet)
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the publishers blurb, which is fairly accurate.
There are NO breathing exercises.

Peter Bond, a member of the trumpet section of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, brings a unique vantage point to his comprehensive book, The Singing Trumpet: Using Singing and Speech as Literal Models for Trumpet Performance. This revolutionary approach to airflow and resonance gives trumpet players greater projection with less strain by transforming their tone production through analogies with singing and speech. As he notes: “For twenty-eight years, I’ve observed the world’s greatest opera singers. Without histrionic breathing or red-faced straining, they can fill the 3800-seat Metropolitan Opera House with magnificent sound. Some can overpower a 100-piece orchestra. I began to think; ‘We brass players are taught to blow, but what if instead we use our air and resonance of our body more like opera singers?’”
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on getting published! That’s quite an accomplishment.

It has an interesting premise, I might look into it (provided it is available in Europe of course).
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought the Print Version, Love listening to your approach on the Web, in some of your interviews, also like the fact that you have a high range, looking forward to getting your book Mr Bond !!

regards,

Tom
marathoner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally ! Escaping from your brother James' shadow
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us know the book is ready. I placed an order for the print version, and look forward to all I can learn from it.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link. It's definitely on my list.

https://www.carlfischer.com/txt14-the-singing-trumpet.html
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly respect Peter Bond's ability and credentials, but the description of 'transforming their tone production through analogies with singing and speech' doesn't give me a good idea of the book's content and instruction.

I also have the concern about whether the book is applicable to a typical non-pro player, as opposed to a seasoned major orchestra player. e.g. is 28 years of pro playing necessary to make the info in the book useful and understandable?

I think that a more thorough description could clarify those things, and perhaps make the book a more enticing purchase.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Raya2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this Mr. Bond! Based on your content online I could only imagine what this book may cover.

I would agree with some of the comments here, perhaps a table of contents or a couple of pages as a demo could better illustrate what the book is about and what the audience is, as Jay mentioned.

Looking forward to getting a hold on this book!
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
I certainly respect Peter Bond's ability and credentials, but the description of 'transforming their tone production through analogies with singing and speech' doesn't give me a good idea of the book's content and instruction.

I also have the concern about whether the book is applicable to a typical non-pro player, as opposed to a seasoned major orchestra player. e.g. is 28 years of pro playing necessary to make the info in the book useful and understandable?

I think that a more thorough description could clarify those things, and perhaps make the book a more enticing purchase.

Well, if this helps, I have the book, and have taken a few enormously helpful lessons with Peter Bond, so I can give you a bit more of a rounded perspective than a book cover can. I play for a living, and did when I took the lessons with him, so you can decide for yourself if that changes how you view my input.

I think it's a great book and that Peter Bond's teaching addresses some big issues that aren't always well addressed by the mainstream pedagogy. Like any book, it's at a disadvantage when compared to in person lessons in addressing sound production issues, but, personally, I think the following is true:

1. Most of what's in the book isn't at all playing level specific. If you're open minded, dedicated, and patient, you'll find lots of good content in it, regardless of your playing level.

2. The description of it being a singing/speech based model is pretty much exactly what it offers. I can't comment on how I would have received it as a stand-alone book since I had previously taken lessons in person, so I was already familiar with the ideas and you can't exactly put the toothpaste back in the tube, however,

3. While I think just about anyone could find some good things in it that would help them (irrespective of level or trumpet playing area of interest), it so happens that you don't have to rely on the text. He's a great teacher, and works with people of many different levels, so you can have both the book, and the actual verbal description, if you're serious about it.

I scraped together what cash I had, took an overnight bus, crossing an international border, arrived in NY for the first time, and found my way on foot to the Lincoln Center, to get to my first lesson with him, and it was, without a doubt, one of the best decisions I've made in my musical life. Given the way the world is right now, since Zoom is all we've got, I've got to say, Zoom is a lot easier and cheaper than what I did. I highly doubt you'd regret making the effort to seek him out, if these are areas where you want to improve.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Singing Trumpet Reply with quote

Peter Bond wrote:
My method book “The Singing Trumpet” has finally been published (Carl Fischer). It’s taken 25 years to write, and it’s different. I hope I’ve included something useful for every type of player.
Reviews welcome.
Peter Bond

Hi Peter,

Very interested in reading your book.

One thing that seems odd is that the digital version requires one to use a couple of ipad specific apps that aren't computer friendly. I can't install either on my mac because they require an update to be usable but doing so will make thousands of dollars worth of software no longer usable. I don't think either app is available on windows either. Not your problem, but if there's any way you can talk carl fisher into releasing on apple books or something, that would definitely help plebs like me get my hands on it.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Singing Trumpet Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Peter Bond wrote:
Reviews welcome.
Peter Bond

Hi Peter,

One thing that seems odd is that the digital version requires one to use a couple of ipad specific apps that aren't computer friendly. I can't install either on my mac because they require an update to be usable but doing so will make thousands of dollars worth of software no longer usable. I don't think either app is available on windows either. Not your problem, but if there's any way you can talk carl fisher into releasing on apple books or something, that would definitely help plebs like me get my hands on it.

I'm not Peter, but it's publisher gatekeeping. If they just sell PDF's they can get distributed whilly-nilly and they have zero control over it.

So, they latch on to platforms with strict controls. I noticed that the digit platforms didn't allow printing. So, basically, you either have to be tech clever and figure something out or buy the print version in addition if you want a physical copy.

Personally, I'm not opposed to buying digital copies, but they have to be in a form that's flexible and lets me print for myself.

I'd suggest just getting the print version in this particular case. I'm sure that's what I'll do.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One thing that seems odd is that the digital version requires one to use a couple of ipad specific apps that aren't computer friendly. I can't install either on my mac because they require an update to be usable but doing so will make thousands of dollars worth of software no longer usable. I don't think either app is available on windows either

Dude! In what magical universe have you invested thousands of dollars in software that will somehow become obsolete if you download a pdf to forScore? 😂
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

39$ is very expensive to read a book written by a well known pro and teacher. Be cautious! Better to read free posts written by self proclaimed gurus coming from nowhere on Wonderland. Sorry I meant TH.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The publisher does a disservice to the author and potential purchasers by not providing more information about this book (and the others that they publish). Here's some more info about what you'll find inside:

184 pages broken down into 32 chapters. Each chapter addresses a topic with text, illustrations, photos and often exercises and/or excerpts.

Part I deals with Concepts of Tone Production
Chapter 4 - Attacks, Articulation and Efficiency (8 pages)
Chapter 6 - Embouchure and Air (14 pages)
Chapter 8 - Mouth Shape and Articulation (5 pages)
Chapter 13 - Advice on Practicing (2 pages)

Part II is about Putting Theory into Practice
Chapter 14 - Mouthpiece Buzzing (2 pages)
Chapter 16 - Lyrical Patterns (10 pages)
Chapter 25 - Speed Techniques (9 pages)
Chapter 26 - Consistency and Security on High Note Entrances (5 pages)

It is a terrific book.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Singing Trumpet Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Peter Bond wrote:
Reviews welcome.
Peter Bond

Hi Peter,

I'm not Peter, but it's publisher gatekeeping. If they just sell PDF's they can get distributed whilly-nilly and they have zero control over it.

They could just use iBooks. Or google books. Or kindle. All of which would protect Peter's rights. I agree pdf is a dodgy option for this reason, and thus not what I was suggesting.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOlds wrote:
Quote:
One thing that seems odd is that the digital version requires one to use a couple of ipad specific apps that aren't computer friendly. I can't install either on my mac because they require an update to be usable but doing so will make thousands of dollars worth of software no longer usable. I don't think either app is available on windows either

Dude! In what magical universe have you invested thousands of dollars in software that will somehow become obsolete if you download a pdf to forScore? 😂

Not if I download forScore. I have to upgrade osx to download forScore.

In terms of software...
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/macos-11-big-sur-compatibility-guide/

Happens everytime there's a major osx update. I usually have to keep updates about 2 years behind due to compatbility issues.
It's not a magical universe, quite the opposite. It's a giant pain in the neck.
Eliot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
The publisher does a disservice to the author and potential purchasers by not providing more information about this book (and the others that they publish). Here's some more info about what you'll find inside:

184 pages broken down into 32 chapters. Each chapter addresses a topic with text, illustrations, photos and often exercises and/or excerpts.

Part I deals with Concepts of Tone Production
Chapter 4 - Attacks, Articulation and Efficiency (8 pages)
Chapter 6 - Embouchure and Air (14 pages)
Chapter 8 - Mouth Shape and Articulation (5 pages)
Chapter 13 - Advice on Practicing (2 pages)

Part II is about Putting Theory into Practice
Chapter 14 - Mouthpiece Buzzing (2 pages)
Chapter 16 - Lyrical Patterns (10 pages)
Chapter 25 - Speed Techniques (9 pages)
Chapter 26 - Consistency and Security on High Note Entrances (5 pages)

It is a terrific book.

Thank you Dayton. That's the kind of info I was originally requesting. Much appreciated.

Pity the publisher doesn't put up a pic or listing of the table of contents. Those interested would be better (maybe even much better) informed.
B&S 150A Alto-Tenor Horn
Yamaha FZ8n (motorcycle)
Conn 83B (trumpet)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: