• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Singing Trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a well-thought-out, well-organized, useful book. Reminds me a little of this presentation by Bond's colleague David Krauss (which I've only read about, not seen. Does anyone have a working link?)

I caught the last 30 minutes of the Met's Die Frau ohne Schatten on the radio this weekend, from 2013. Last 30 minutes of 3+ hours, and the end of a 35-page book. Wow, that orchestra knows its business. I believe Mr. Bond was part of the section at that time.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
184 pages broken down into 32 chapters. Each chapter addresses a topic with text, illustrations, photos and often exercises and/or excerpts. ...
It is a terrific book.

----------------------------------------
Thank you for the info - it gives a much better view of the overall content of the book.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Singing Trumpet Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
They could just use iBooks. Or google books. Or kindle. All of which would protect Peter's rights. I agree pdf is a dodgy option for this reason, and thus not what I was suggesting.

Yup. They certainly could have.

Usually the digital platform a publisher chooses has to do with which company gives them what they want or gives them the best deal (or the one that they own). While they care about what consumers use, they tend to expect that consumers will bend to their wishes rather than the other way around. It's the corporate mindset. I suspect if you wait for them to switch platforms, you'll be waiting a long time.

I'll bet iBooks and google books are more permissive in their controls than Carl Fisher likes. I seem to be able to print from iBooks, but I'm not sure if I could do that with any content. Also, they're probably getting a better deal from forScore and Newzik, both of which seem to be music specific apps.

Last I checked, print versions don't need OSX updates are have pretty broad compatibility.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my copy today. I’m about halfway through reading part one. There are lots of good insights about efficiency and tone production. Part two looks to be exercises, practice models, and explanations. It looks to be a good book worth the price.
Colini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started the process of paying and unfortunately was stopped dead in tracks when delivery to UK = 23 dollars. There will also be import duty and probaby VAT.
Kindle version would be wonderful.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colini wrote:
I started the process of paying and unfortunately was stopped dead in tracks when delivery to UK = 23 dollars. There will also be import duty and probaby VAT.
Kindle version would be wonderful.

Carl Fischer probably has a UK outlet or distributor.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my (hard) copy yesterday and started reading! Enjoying the fresh perspective! Thanks Pete!

In regards to digital copies we have to remember that the music method industry isn't the high volume world of best selling novels. Amazon, Apple and other digital platforms would likely eat away all the profit from the publisher/author.
jcopella

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Peter's interview on the Trumpet Diagnostics YouTube channel -- the concept of "singing into the mask" came up and I was ordering from Amazon a few seconds later.

(students of Mr. Adam will find this concept familiar -- it's what Mr. Adam meant, I believe, when he would talk about "keeping the sound out front")

Anyway, this has been a TREMENDOUSLY helpful book and helped me overcome some obstacles I've been wrestling with for some time.

Thank you, Peter!
Anthony Miller

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the UK and I bought it direct from Carl Fischer through the ForScore app.
Really useful book to add to my collection!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: