• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Piccolo lead pipe impact on playing in tune.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Piccolo lead pipe impact on playing in tune. Reply with quote

I have had a Besson/Kanstul pic for a year or so and find that it plays in tune with itself very well when using the A lead pipe but not so well with the Bflat. I’m wondering if this is a function of the horn or if a different Bflat pipe is in order. The two pipes I have came with the horn and use a cornet shank mouthpiece.
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the slides pulled at all to play in A? If so, push them in a bit for Bb.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the fourth valve slide pulled out about 1/2 inch the others are all the way in. The problem is with the Bflat lead pipe D on the staff and G above the staff are hard to play in tune. Not the case with the A pipe.
SterlingBell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Schilke P5-4 that plays better in A and a Scherzer rotary Sterling bell pic that plays better in Bb. It could be how I use them, though.
ltbrown

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Piccolo pipes Reply with quote

I would consider trying a new Bb pipe if you can. My Schilke wouldn't play in Bb hardly up to pitch and was super wonky, then I got a new Bb pipe for it which fixed all the issues. Just my two cents.

Piccolos can be weird trying to have two different keys in such a small package. Some of them only like to play in one key, for what it's worth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: