• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rudy Muck Citation restoration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Rudy Muck Citation restoration Reply with quote

I have a friend here in Las Vegas who upon taking his lawnmower to a repair shop was asked by the shop's owner what he did for a living. My friend informed him that he had taught music for many years and was a trumpet player. Having said that the lawnmower shop owner said "I have a couple trumpets in the back room. Would you like them?" Of course my friend said yes and out came the horns one of which was a Rudy Muck Citation with a severely crinkled bell serial #66780. After he brought them over for me to see, I offered to see what I could do in so far as restoring the Rudy Muck realizing the inherent value was not much. Kind of a fun project for me as my Scodwell USA production line-up was up to date.

Naturally all slides were stuck fast as were the valves. A good hour's soak in 1/3 Dawn and 2/3 vinegar unstuck everything and I started disassembling the horn. Once I had all the slides off the body I heated the bell to soften it before starting the dent work on the bell. Over a mandrel most of the severe crinkling was removed with a dent hammer, the hammer surface covered with a layer of electric tape so as not to harden the brass in work areas. Next a burnishing over the mandrel using wax paper under the burnisher for protection from further scratching. The inner and outer slides were cleaned up and reassembled. Buffing was not a problem as the horn was in surprisingly good shape.

If anybody has a clue where this horn may have come from and ended up in a lawn mower repair shop I'd love to hear from you.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is 'Dawn"?
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
What is 'Dawn"?

Dishwashing liquid. It's a very popular brand in the U.S. Its de-greasing properties make it effective for uses such as the one Tony describes.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may add, Dawn is used to clean our feathered friends after an accursed oil spill. It is strong yet gentle and does a great job cleaning brass instruments too. Some of the Dawn line has anti-bacterial properties, too.

Tony, weren't Muck trumpets built from parts Bach sold him? I've read that Muck trumpets can be very good, but as you say not of great value.
R. Tomasek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: