• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reinhardt Tongue Type I - Double Tonguing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Reinhardt Tongue Type I - Double Tonguing Reply with quote

Hi Reinhardt Folks,

Was listening to Louis Dowdeswell talk about having a lesson with Chris LaBabera and find out he plays with Tongue Type 1. He also specifically mentioned that double Tonguing can cause problems for this tongue type.

It's actually also my tongue type, and double Tonguing above the staff has always been something I've struggled with.

Curious to know if there is any specific advice for tongue type 1 in general and as regards double Tonguing
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Reinhardt Tongue Type I - Double Tonguing Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Curious to know if there is any specific advice for tongue type 1 in general and as regards double Tonguing

Thanks for posting this, Michael (it *is* Michael, right?).

I went to my Encyclopedia and just re-read the eight tongue types.

Apparently the Tongue Type One is advantageous for high-note production for people who make their living always playing "up there."

But the problems seem to mostly arise when those players need to play in the middle and lower registers.

Doc always pushed Tongue Type Five for slurring and sustaining only for me but never told me what to use for tonguing. Like you, however, my multiple tonguing above the staff has always been a crap shoot. Most of the time it's pretty crappy.

I think I could probably adopt Tongue Type One since my tongue is wide enough, but apparently I use Tongue Type Two for tonguing.

To answer your question with another question (or a guess): maybe experimenting with the other tongue types in the Encyclopedia of the Pivot System could unlock other possibilities for you?

I admit that I never fully understood all of the eight tongue types, so now you have prompted me to begin experimenting for myself.

Thanks again, Michael!
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich,

I'm not a Michael but cheers for the info all the same

That's a good idea to grab the encyclopaedia and just try them all out and see what happens. Very interesting that one might use different tongue types for slurring vs tonguing. I had assumed it was supposed to be the same type for tonguing and slurring.

I will have to go and experiment a bunch - thanks!

Interesting to see Louis getting very into all of this by way of Chris LaBarbera.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:

I'm not a Michael but cheers for the info all the same

Sorry, Chris, my mistake!

Yes, I think Tongue Types (unlike embouchure types) can be adopted. For the most part, we're "assigned" an embouchure type and if we try to defy it we usually pay a high price for it. But with the Tongue Types it appears to me that we can experiment and find one that suits us better than another.

Now, Doc didn't tell me that, but I sorta gleaned it from reading about the Tongue Types in the Encyclopedia. Certain physical characteristics will probably make us more inclined to use one type over another, but I can sorta see how they might be interchangeable and some experimentation would be indicated.
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea by Louis!

It's funny, I remember asking Dave Sheetz about my tongue type, and maybe other teachers, maybe I asked Rich, and they all told me not to worry about it.

Still don't really know my tongue type after all these years. Thought it was 1, then after reading the descriptions, maybe 5.

Don't even know how one tells which tongue type you are. It's not like you can X-Ray the student. But tongue type I may be the most obvious. I think Lynn Nicholson is also a tongue type I.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: