• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Eye Candy...

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave_3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryant Jordan wrote:
Manuel de los Campos wrote:
I will, only when this forum makes it easier to post pictures

Agreed, an easier way to post pics would be fantastic.

My apologies for drifting a little off topic, but as a long time (50 year) amateur photographer, I much prefer hosting pictures on a separate site. That gives me total control of my pictures, at all times. I've been on some forums where, once you uploaded a picture to the forum, there was basically no way to delete it (due to editing restrictions). All I have to do to post a picture here, is copy and paste an address. Quite easy, really.

Different strokes, I guess.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryant Jordan wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
A collection of my favorite images of my favorite instruments.

The patina on that flugel! Did you do anything to get it looking like that other than letting it sit?

Yes and no.... and probably!

I ordered the flugelhorn with a raw finish so that I could use it to test a nano-coating I wanted to offer as part of a product line. The coating worked very well for eighteen months, at which time I removed it. Or so I thought.

The blue color started to form on the copper around the water key and bell bow, then spread over the rest of the bell except the flare. A few years ago, I bought a bottle of rainbow patina for that part of the bell. The result is what you see in these photos. Since then, the patina colors have faded and been overlaid with the naturally occurring blue, magenta an such.

I think the residual nano-coating is reacting with the air, my valve oil or something.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:

Yes and no.... and probably!

I ordered the flugelhorn with a raw finish so that I could use it to test a nano-coating I wanted to offer as part of a product line. The coating worked very well for eighteen months, at which time I removed it. Or so I thought.

The blue color started to form on the copper around the water key and bell bow, then spread over the rest of the bell except the flare. A few years ago, I bought a bottle of rainbow patina for that part of the bell. The result is what you see in these photos. Since then, the patina colors have faded and been overlaid with the naturally occurring blue, magenta an such.

I think the residual nano-coating is reacting with the air, my valve oil or something.

It might have been serendipity, but it could hardly have turned out better had you planned it.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
65strad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: 2008 Custom Bach Stradivarius SN # 2008 Reply with quote

My Dream Trumpet contest Bach Stradivarius "one off" Bb and 1st two piece valve case in over 40 years. Totally fabricated to my exact specs thanks to Dillon Music and Tedd Waggoner head of Bach production back then for allowing lightning to strike!

A year later Bach Artisans, and later, Bach Mariachi, Bach Commercial, and eventually the "new" Bach 190's which IMHO are some if the finest playing Bachs now have some of those features that I found appealing in the evolution of Vincent Bach's designs over the years. To say that this man on the street was lucky to win this custom fabricated Bach Stradivarius is a massive understatement.

Specs:
1.Two piece valve case (nickel/brass)
2.Lightweight .020 Guage *43 goldbrass with side seam (aligns with bell braces) with French Bead on bell.
3. Standard weight body with all nickel receiver slides
4. Tight wrap bell to leadpipe w/small radius wrap and single (brace)
5.reverse 3rd slide stop
6. Hex pull nubs
7. Special serial number 2008
8. Slide beads on all receiver slides
9. Brass valve guides
10. Engraving on 2nd valve case (gripside) MADE IN ELKHART IN USA. This was last done in Mt. Vernon plant. Now Artisan, 190's are engraved
11. #7 longer NY style mouthpiece receiver
12. The first Artisan double trumpet case
13. Fabricated custom nickel 1st slide ring vs. hook
14. Lastly Tedd called me to ask if I would be open to bell engraving of Faciebet Anno 2008. This represents the year of birth roughly in Italian. This bell designation hasn't been done on Bachs since the 1920's I believe.

Still feels like Christmas everytime I play it. That's to Dillon musuc and especially Tedd Waggoner a hell of a nice decent person for exceeding my expectations by miles. So cool to see some of those features from years ago to be revived not just on my horn, but on the new 190's, Artisans. Not sure if the picture will show
'08 Bach factory custom "one off" 43*G SN#2008
'65 Bach 181 37 SN#30836
'67 Bach 180 37 SN#39773
'70 Bach 181 37 SN#58831
'72 Bach 180S 43 SN#70503
'05 Bach VBS 196 Picc SN#560142
'07 Bach Chicago C SN#656602

Last edited by 65strad on Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:51 pm; edited 11 times in total
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome horn! I love my Bach! I’ll take a pic of my Artisan once my new caps come.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received yesterday...

Gold plated Adams custom F2 flugelhorn with trigger to a tuning slide...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/webte9dfxi561cx/AABKmlyaKfBXl4RElNmOge54a?dl=0

Miel Adams and his team did a fantastic job with this "creation!"

Thanks also to Trent Austin and his team at ACB for shipping quickly as soon as it hit the States!

Great player! The trigger allows for changing the "color" (timbre) of any note in a very new and easy fashion as well as tuning down pitches/passages that may tend to rise in pitch after switching quickly from another horn in a cold room. It also could be a fair option for occasional quarter-tone passagework. An Adams jazz artist playtested it a few weeks ago and immediately wanted to trade in his own Adams! Basic scale is amazingly in tune, btw, without use of the trigger, and this flugel is definitely mouthpiece sensitive, where shallower-cupped mouthpieces permit a ton of projection power and a hint of brilliance, and the deeper ones reveal a beautiful, lush core on the other side of the tonal spectrum. As a side note, Miel had his crew do some extra special contrast with the brushed and polished segments of the horn...something they normally do not do! He went way beyond the norm on this one!

Thank you, Miel Adams!
--------
Edit: updated Dropbox link.

Last edited by dstpt on Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4bj3gmi8t4jmgtf/AAAZlvVX6Eo2TisYBxB1-OOpa?dl=0

Thanks also to Trent Austin and his team at ACB for shipping quickly as soon as it hit the States!

Great player! The trigger allows for changing the "color" (timbre) of any note in a very new and easy fashion as well as tuning down pitches/passages that may tend to rise in pitch after switching quickly from another horn in a cold room. It also could be a fair option for occasional quarter-tone passagework. An Adams jazz artist playtested it a few weeks ago and immediately wanted to trade in his own Adams! Basic scale is amazingly in tune, btw, without use of the trigger, and this flugel is definitely mouthpiece sensitive, where shallower-cupped mouthpieces permit a ton of projection power and a hint of brilliance, and the deeper ones reveal a beautiful, lush core on the other side of the tonal spectrum. As a side note, Miel had his crew do some extra special contrast with the brushed and polished segments of the horn...something they normally do not do! He went way beyond the norm on this one!

Thank you, Miel Adams!

Wow. Just wow.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4bj3gmi8t4jmgtf/AAAZlvVX6Eo2TisYBxB1-OOpa?dl=0

Thank you, Miel Adams!

Yo, 2%!

I'm coming over to play that sucker!
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newest horn in my personal collection:

Bach Stradivarius/Monette Hybrid
Bach 72 Sterling silver bell
Monette Leadpipe
M/K tuning slides
Curry lightweight trim.

An absolute beast of an instrument!

Link

-T

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

austincustombrass wrote:

Monette Leadpipe
M/K tuning slides
Curry lightweight trim.

Link

-T

Cool looking horn, apparently it’s a great player as well! Let me know when you sell it to make room in your collection for your next acquisition!😉😉

Brad
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s my oldest one, made by Henry Lehnert in Philadelphia, circa 1870. Made of German silver, with oval-port Allen rotary valves.

Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Here’s my oldest one, made by Henry Lehnert in Philadelphia, circa 1870. Made of German silver, with oval-port Allen rotary valves.

That's my favorite of all your horns, Dale. So beautiful!
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

austincustombrass wrote:

Monette Leadpipe
M/K tuning slides
Curry lightweight trim.

-T

I’ve seen the videos Trent, I’d love to try that horn someday.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change of pace, here’s a pretty mouthpiece made by an unknown maker in NY. It’s an MF 3 (Maynards widest rim) and finished in gold plate. ‘NEW YORK’ is also stamped on the side. Not the greatest craftsmanship, but it plays surprisingly well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4bdvdvxqqd56314/1816271F-321A-4B4D-A6A7-1E194CE3F77F.jpeg?dl=0
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dropbox.com/s/00d7gxcts4ob63c/Dama%20con%20Arpa%20Ritorta.heic?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vt0mh651ffg7fy/Photo%20May%2004%2C%202%2007%2032%20AM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwy3xp59jo6cdpx/Photo%20May%2004%2C%202%2007%2042%20AM.jpg?dl=0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: