• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New player in need of a bit of advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toyino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: New player in need of a bit of advice Reply with quote

Hi,

I have only been playing for 18 months (trumpet is my first instrument too). My wife has just bought me a new Schagerl 610L Bb (for my 40th birthday) as I have been playing a £100 horn. I have been playing for a few days and I have noticed that pressure builds up in the third valve slide, which makes it either return on its own when extended or not fully close unless the water key is released or I press the third valve.

Is this common with better quality horns? Is it unique to the brand? This is probably a really obvious question but I thought there'd be no harm in asking.

Thanks in advance!

Toyin
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New player in need of a bit of advice Reply with quote

Toyino wrote:
I have noticed that pressure builds up in the third valve slide, which makes it either return on its own when extended or not fully close unless the water key is released or I press the third valve.

"Normally", you can't really extend a valve slide without pushing down the associated valve. The enclosed volume is basically airtight and so if you try to "stretch" it by extending the slide, yes it will want to return. Same (or rather reverse) problem if you extended it while the valve was depressed, and then try to bring it back without the valve down.

Is this the behavior you're talking about? Or is "pressure building up" while you're not using the valve or slide?
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet

Last edited by ayryq on Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is proper operation of the slide.
The slides should be reasonably 'air tight' on a quality instrument.
Your other horn probably has loose tolerance and allows significant air leakage.

A typical 'rough test' is to extend the slide (works same for 1st or 3rd slide) and depress and release the piston.
With the slide extended, and the piston UP, place you ear near the mouthpiece receiver (no mouthpiece) and push the slide IN. With 'tight valves' you should hear a slow long lasting hiss. With 'loose valves' the hiss will be louder and quickly stops.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say "Normally" above because it is possible to have a small hole drilled in the third valve so that the third slide is no longer air-tight. This allows you to move the slide without pressing the valve, but has the disadvantage of letting gravity move your slide for you.

Here's a thread about valve venting:
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35389&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New player in need of a bit of advice Reply with quote

Toyino wrote:
Is this common with better quality horns?

The other posters are right on. Since most horns do not have vented third valves I would say it is expected as well as common.
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your £100 horn wasn't very airtight at all (hence why it was £100). I too was surprised when I moved from my first clunker to better quality instruments.
Toyino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies, you have put my mind at ease and I can get on with practising!

Really appreciated.
Robejazz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Discussion - Thanks all for your insights. I have a Bobby Shew 1 and when its on a trumpet stand (its vertical) the 3rd Valve slide drops to the bottom - should It be staying in place?
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robejazz wrote:
I have a Bobby Shew 1 and when its on a trumpet stand (its vertical) the 3rd Valve slide drops to the bottom - should It be staying in place?

If you are talking about the third valve slide dropping immediately (or within a few minutes), that probably should not be happening and suggests a leak outside the design tolerances of the horn (unless of course the valve is vented). On the other hand, if you notice the slide dropping after a period of many days (or weeks), that is most likely normal. The pull of gravity on the slide will cause a negative pressure inside the valve that will eventually let small amounts of air through to allow the slide to drop. This happened on a horn I had after I let it sit for weeks in a case I stood on end. You can have the valve pressure tested by a tech to be sure, or perform a simple test yourself by removing the valve slide, putting your finger over the end of the correct slide tube on the horn, and seeing how hard you must blow through the mouthpipe before you hear a hissing sound from the valve.

Charlie Melk once told me that no valve is perfectly airtight -- if it was, you couldn't move it! (Oiled valves with proper tolerances won't leak until enough air pressure is applied to break the seal formed by the oil.)
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you! Reply with quote

Toyino wrote:
Thanks for your replies, you have put my mind at ease and I can get on with practising!

Really appreciated.

BTW.....it's a lucky man who has a wife that gifts him things like Schargerl horn!

keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: