• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help to decide on a student horn for a beginner

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best choice for a beginner trumpet
Yamaha YTR-2330
40%
 40%  [ 11 ]
Getzen 300 Series
44%
 44%  [ 12 ]
Nikkan (Yamaha) YTR-2310
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yamaha YTR-1335
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yamaha YTR-1310
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yamaha YTR-236
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Olds Ambassador
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 27

JonY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Help to decide on a student horn for a beginner Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

New to the forum and this is my first post.

I am a beginner looking for his first trumpet and have narrowed my choices to the following in order of most expensive to least:

Yamaha YTR-2330
Getzen 300 Series
Nikkan (Yamaha) YTR-2310
Yamaha YTR-1335
Yamaha YTR-1310
Yamaha YTR-236

With the exception of the Yamaha YTR-2330, all are used and found on eBay. These brands were considered due to their reputation for quality and consistency. I am looking for something that is easy to play, great intonation, good sound, and something that I would be able to stay with for a long time.

Would love to hear your thoughts on these horns and which you think would be the best. Also if you think that an Olds Ambassador from the 60s and 70s would be a better choice. I did consider one but it is not on the list as I am concerned about the condition and consistency.

Thank you and hope to hear from you guys.

JonY
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ytr 3335 is a player and exceptional quality for a student instrument with reversed leadpipe design for great performance for the money.

It does not cost that much more than the 2330 and is worth a look and a blow in case it suits you better than the 2330.

Yamaha are very fine instruments.

The 3335 ranks among the 6 best instruments for students and is quality throughout. The student can go far with this instrument and I would gig it without a doubt and without hesitation.

I recommend you check it out.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After playing a large-bore pro horn for many years I took a long break. When I came back I decided to return to a smaller bore and rented a Yamaha 2000-series. I liked the horn plenty. These are sturdy and reliably good players. Hard to go wrong. Given the relatively low cost and ample supply of these, I'd be hard-pressed to go with any of the older models.

On reputation alone, I'd consider the Getzen but I've never played this model.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just deconstructing the motivations underlying the selection set for the survey makes it pretty clear that the poster already feels "any student Yamaha" is the probable choice. I would agree.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
JonY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. Much appreciated.

I kinda feel what cheiden is saying. This is the reason why I considered the Nikkan (Yamaha) YTR-2310 as it has a smaller medium bore compared with the rest that had a larger medium large bore. The older Nikkan (Yamaha) YTR-2310 and Yamaha YTR-236 also has a 5 inch bell diameter as well which is different from the YTR-1335 Y and current model YTR-2330. The YTR-2330 has the advantage of being newer with the monel valves.

Where I am currently, I don't get to try any of them before I buy so I could only rely on research and opinions from willing individuals such as yourselves.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonY wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. Much appreciated.

I kinda feel what cheiden is saying. This is the reason why I considered the Nikkan (Yamaha) YTR-2310 as it has a smaller medium bore compared with the rest that had a larger medium large bore. The older Nikkan (Yamaha) YTR-2310 and Yamaha YTR-236 also has a 5 inch bell diameter as well which is different from the YTR-1335 Y and current model YTR-2330. The YTR-2330 has the advantage of being newer with the monel valves.

Where I am currently, I don't get to try any of them before I buy so I could only rely on research and opinions from willing individuals such as yourselves.

At the student level, be careful you don't over-think things. Intonation, moderate resistance, decent tone, and above all reliability/durability are the key factors for a beginner to advance.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Dave_3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help to decide on a student horn for a beginner Reply with quote

JonY wrote:

With the exception of the Yamaha YTR-2330, all are used and found on eBay.

I can't offer any advice about those specific trumpets, but when considering buying used, I would highly recommend purchasing from a reputable dealer, rather than from an online auction. It would be a shame to end up with a horn that needs work before you can use it. Perhaps try someone like Trent Austin, from Austin Custom Brass. I have no personal experience with him, but he has a solid reputation.

Good luck!
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Help to decide on a student horn for a beginner Reply with quote

Dave_3 wrote:
JonY wrote:

With the exception of the Yamaha YTR-2330, all are used and found on eBay.

when considering buying used, I would highly recommend purchasing from a reputable dealer, rather than from an online auction

To add to this, if you are taking a shot on a horn from Ebay etc, your safest option is to find something that looks very lightly used. This will be much, much easier if you're simply looking for a student Yamaha, rather than one specific model from decades ago.

FWIW, I think you'd be doing yourself a favour if you treated the bore size and bell diameter as complete non-issues.

Mike
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonY wrote:
This is the reason why I considered the Nikkan (Yamaha) YTR-2310 as it has a smaller medium bore compared with the rest that had a larger medium large bore. The older Nikkan (Yamaha) YTR-2310 and Yamaha YTR-236 also has a 5 inch bell diameter as well which is different from the YTR-1335 Y and current model YTR-2330. The YTR-2330 has the advantage of being newer with the monel valves.
IMHO, a "true" beginner buying his/her 1st trumpet could not tell the difference...at least I couldn't. My teacher was with me.
Also, quality and reputation go a long way- in which case the Getzen 300 and
Yamaha 2330 are both great choices.
Good luck!
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the Getzen over the Yamaha. I have a Yamaha 2310 and love the way that it plays. In my experience, however, sometimes the 3rd slides are a little stiff, which could deter a beginner from using it.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying off ebay is the concern, especially if the total condition of the instrument is not described in detail. And don't believe a 'story' about it just needing a 'good cleaning' to make it work.
Make sure the horn includes a usable mouthpiece - Bach 7C is typical.

If there are any used instruments available in your area, I suggest you at least give them a try. Not necessary to be Yamaha, other brands would be fine too.

Regarding 'bore size' - the medium large (~0.457 - 0.460) works fine for most people. And there are plenty of instruments available with that bore size.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And (you KNEW someone would say it !😁), private lessons.

Brad
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello JonY,
If you are spending $450 on ebay and get a return privilege, I suppose you could go with that ytr2330. However, you will never know how good something else could play...if it were me, I would spend the time and money to get to some trumpet stores and craigslist ad locations and try out some trumpets before buying. You might find that there is something in particular that you like very much as opposed to what you are considering now. As a collector of vintage trumpets, I would say that if you get much above $450, there are loads of horns that become candidates...even at $450, there are some. There are trumpets in my collection that I would have to sell for less than $450 that would knock the socks off a ytr2330. You would just have to know a little about trumpets to know that...just sayin'...

So many horns, so little time...LOL...
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
JonY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
And (you KNEW someone would say it !😁), private lessons.

Brad

I hear you Brad. A little les GAS, a little more lessons.
wohlrab
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, if you're a beginner, it doesn't really matter. It's a poor worksman who blames his tools. Just find something that the valves work, and you can get a sound out of. In a few years of practice something better may become useful, but it takes a long time to grow out of a horn.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it does matter.

There are many good student instruments and many great student instruments, there are also many bad student instruments.

The bad ones come with frozen slides and stuck valves bad intonation and thin metal and thin silver plate.

The bad ones look fabulous when you unbox them but they deteriorate swiftly and pretty soon you feel bad about them because they look and sound worn out.

yamaha Jean Paul carol besson sterling are examples of decent instruments they make them themselves or they have them made abroad and use strict and excellent quality control on every instrument to make sure bad instruments are not sold.

If you have pride in your instrument then you have fun playing it and you want to learn so you practice more and you enjoy it more if your instrument looks bad and plays bad after a few months you dont want to play on it anymore so you end up not practicing or replacing it with a better instrument.

I know of an instrument that cost 300 dollars new and looked fabulous and played great but 6 months later it looked shabby and was falling apart.

There is a level a purchaser must not sink below. And it is finding an instrument above this level that is the trick.

I recommend yamaha because they are guaranteed to be totally excellent and will last 20 years or more and look and sound great.

It is not about an instrument looking and sounding great the day you buy it it is about still looking and sounding great 10 years or 20 years later.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
JonY

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for taking your time and effort to provide your feedback/input. Very much appreciated. At this point, the Yamaha YTR-2330 is in the lead for me due to quality, consistency, market availability, support, and familiarity,

I tend to agree with Bflatman that, a decision on the selection of a horn, regardless of level, should be well evaluated based on the different variables that influence the decision. Also acknowledge is the recommendation of the Yamaha YTR-3335. I am just wondering how much difference would the reverse leadpipe and the single brace would make. There is also the addition of having a case as opposed to a gigbag. I think if the price difference is not too much, it would definitely be a good choice.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gig Bag = Dent Sack.
Get a hard case unless you are VERY careful and lucky.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Matt K

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of a moot point since OP already picked a horn but one thing I'd like to point out is that with newer models with readily available parts, fleabay can be a decent option because prices for student parts... at least for Yamaha... is pretty reasonable.

For example, for the YTR-2330, it looks like you can get the bell for $106. The valve casing is $205. First valve slide assembly is $53, 2nd is $46, 3rd is $63. Pistons are around $70 each. Main tuning slide is $24. The mouthpipe assembly + leadpipe seem to be ~$87.

So if you get something for $100 on fleabay but it has say, a smashed main tuning slide... just have your tech order one. They might have to solder the water key on, but I've gotten trombone crooks with them pre-installed though. So if the valves are good, you now have a $124 instrument with a new main tuning slide. If everything else works.

Usually, a horn that isn't well cared for has other issues though. But I picked up a 2330 about a year ago for like $100 and it's in great condition. There's some serious dezincification going on the outside of the main tuning slide but my tech informed me the inside is actually in good shape. So a $150 chem clean and $100 later I have a pretty good starter horn. I also had them solder on a finger hook for the 1st slide. All in... I think it was like $350, including the protect dent bag I use for it .
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Gig Bag = Dent Sack.
Get a hard case unless you are VERY careful and lucky.

Speaking as a former elementary and middle school band teacher, get a hard case.

I can't agree enough.

I would recommend a Yamaha trumpet - 2330 is solid. Getzens are equally good.

But, get a hard case.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: