• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jupiter 450L Mellophone? MP advice?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:59 am    Post subject: Jupiter 450L Mellophone? MP advice? Reply with quote

Hi all, I’ve got a bead on a Jupiter 450L mellophone for ~$150. I don’t really have any great reason to buy one (except: more instruments!), but here’s my ideas on what I could do:
-I’ve been learning Jazz standards and saw there’s an Eb part in all of the Aebersold books, so I thought it could be good for my transposing and would basically be like transposing for C trumpet on a Bb part, but going F to Eb.
-I have a flugelhorn and a flugabone but this would be in the middle. Middle brass!
-I don’t know that the tone in particular contributes more than my other instruments, but thought you might have ideas on mellophone primarily as a solo instrument. Anyone played one for jazz, church, etc.?

More questions:
-Anyone have one? It looks like Jupiter's most recent mouthpiece got good reviews, but I don’t know why this one comes with (clearly a bit older). It looks like it comes with an adapter for french horn, but all things being equal I should just stick with the mellophone piece, right?
-It’s listed in “fair” condition. When I see mellophones discussed folk seem to have more repair issues. Is there anything in particular I should look out for? (Maybe this is just because marching instruments get more abuse.)
-I’m interested in ordering a Kelly mouthpiece too, since those seem fun and cheap. Also tempted to try the Yamaha.

Thanks all!
THE BD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mello!

You definitely want a piece designed for mellophone, not a French horn piece with an adapter. My favorite pieces to play on mello are the Curry TF pieces or the Hammond mello pieces.

I've never gotten along well with the plastic Kelly mouthpieces, I always seem to use more pressure since I cannot feel the mouthpiece like a regular metal one, I recommend staying away from those!

Yeah, I did that!
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice. I'll report back on condition and mp. I'll probably be fine with the stock piece, whatever it is. I saw someone here selling a Hammond and the Yamaha also looks reasonable. I hadn't realized trumpet mouthpieces can ever work, but apparently it's sometimes a possibility and I have two fairly deeps ones (Kanstul B4d and a bach 5v). I suppose I could try to learn some horn repertoire for fun.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Mello mouthpiece Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the Jupiter shank is but most marching mellophones accept a cornet shank. The mouthpiece I used when playing 1st Mellophonium with Stan Kenton was made for me by Reynold Schilke and now is being produced by Legends as the "Scodwell Mello". It is similar to a Bach 5C rim with a Farkas french horn cup. It works very well on both my Conn and Dynasty.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Jupiter Quantum mellos at school take trumpet shank mouthpieces, but that doesn't necessarily mean yours well.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it. The only downsides are (1) the first valve valve top is stuck and (2) so is the french horn mouthpiece adapter (and it comes with a generic french horn mouthpiece). I'll try to take it to the shop tomorrow and see if they can help me order a mellophone mouthpiece also. It's a pretty fun instrument and (to my not great ears) sounds pretty good even with the existing mouthpiece. I think it is a cornet shank. Anyway... $100 well spent and hopefully will get some use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: