• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lawler model: where is it??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
8compton

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Lawler model: where is it?? Reply with quote

I was blessed to get a Lawler trumpet recently and absolutely love it. However, for the life of me, I can't find the model of the horn! I located the serial number (0832), found the Roy Lawler traditional "Ps1" on the middle valve, but i have no idea what Lawler I am playing. It may not matter what model it is, as the horn plays beautifully, but it's like driving a Cadillac and not knowing what kind it is. Can you help me out?!
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I had a Lawler I wish I had kept, it was a TL STS and I had a a Bach 72 bell do go with it. I got it used and just emailed Roy for the specs. So, just email him the serial number. I know he’s only making trombones now, but he probably has the info on hand.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,check the end of the bell , in the place that connects to valve block, usually thear is stamped the bell type,all the Lawlers I have/had has also stamped the leadpipe number on the mpc reciver or on the reciver that connects the leadpipe with the tuning slide.
I agree with you Roy's horns are unique.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Lawler is a fine gentleman. Send him an email and he'll likely answer your question.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Ps1 is a model of Lawler.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68185&sid=80630e35fe852b15c86bd0fe2f368adf
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy is a very religious man and he stamps all of his horns with the Ps1 that means psalm of the bible number 1 but at one period he was made a heavier horn with that name.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew of the psalm but I did not know he stamped all his horns with it.
8compton

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the previous discussion on Ps1s. This solved the mystery.
Still, it’s a shame Roy stopped making trumpets. I did play with a guy who had one of Roy’s first trombones and he couldn’t say enough good things about the horn. Trumpet players loss is the trombone players gain.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have some wrong info here...the Ps1 was one of Lawler's models, but not the only one...I don't think they are all stamped Ps1. There was a C7 and some other models. You can probably email him and get a more complete story. Or do some searching on here or use the wayback machine and look at his website some years back and all the info on the models will be on there.

I agree that it was a shame that he stopped making trumpets altogether and went to trombones. IDK why he didn't continue to make some trumpets, but craftsmen can do whatever they want and they have to live with themselves, so maybe he was just tired of trumpets...or those of us who play them!
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Lawler model: where is it?? Reply with quote

8compton wrote:
I was blessed to get a Lawler trumpet recently and absolutely love it. However, for the life of me, I can't find the model of the horn! I located the serial number (0832), found the Roy Lawler traditional "Ps1" on the middle valve, but i have no idea what Lawler I am playing. It may not matter what model it is, as the horn plays beautifully, but it's like driving a Cadillac and not knowing what kind it is. Can you help me out?!

If you Google "The Official Lawler Registry" there are many serial numbers listed. Your #832 is not there but was made in 2005. Because of an association with Roy I owned most of Roy's models from 2001 until 2007. I owned one of the first PS1's which I think was initiated around 2007. For several years Roy stamped PS1 on the valve casings of all his horns. That is not a model number. Look for C7 or TL5 or TL6. Sometimes just the bell was stamped with a small number and that was the model number. ie, 21 for the 21 model bell. Giakara has good info on Lawler models.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own or use to own seven TLs and one Star model,from Geneva period until Flat Creek that he stops to make trumpets and all had the Ps1 stamped , the only horn that is not stamped is a very old cornet from the Orlando (1992) period.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to post all the models that Roy had make.
The early days until 2003 he named his horns with the name of the bell like #25,#26 etc.
From 2003 he start to use Getzen valves and valve blocks and the models I remember is.
TL5,TL6,TL6L,TL5R,TL6R and a very rare TL8 (very fast flare bell with almost flugel sound).
Model T , the work horse of the line with TL6L bell copy and #1 leadpipe.
Star model , French Besson based model with piercing sound.
Model B , I dont remember if the B stands for Bach or Benge , very few horns had made.
Ps1 model the heavier horn that Roy made.
C7 , the Martin committee copy , in many variations and options, the most successful model as far it concerns sales.
M7 model , his last design based on 60's Martin magna , with wide wrap and two different bells to choose,(this horn still exites me)
A small number custom and ceremonial balanced models.
I hope I did forget something.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Scooter Pirtle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
The early days until 2003 he named his horns with the name of the bell like #25,#26 etc.
From 2003 he start to use Getzen valves and valve blocks and the models I remember is.
TL5,TL6,TL6L,TL5R,TL6R and a very rare TL8 (very fast flare bell with almost flugel sound).
Model B , I dont remember if the B stands for Bach or Benge , very few horns had made.
C7 , the Martin committee copy , in many variations and options, the most successful model as far it concerns sales.
M7 model , his last design based on 60's Martin magna , with wide wrap and two different bells to choose,(this horn still exites me)

Regards

Lawler also fabricated custom three piston G sopranos for FutureCorps (Disneyland/World) and assisted in converting King two piston contrabasses into four piston instruments. Roy also produced horizontally-valved bugles for the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps of Washington, D.C. These instruments were eventually replaced with piston bugles by Kanstul.
Yamaha Chicago C Gen III
www.middlehornleader.com

Last edited by Scooter Pirtle on Wed May 05, 2021 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooter Pirtle wrote:
giakara wrote:

Regards

Lawler also fabricated custom three piston G sopranos for FutureCorps (Disneyland/World) and assisted in converting King two piston contrabasses into four piston instruments. Roy also produced horizontally-valved bugles for the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps of Washington, D.C. These instruments were eventually replaced with piston bugles by Kanstul.

Yes , and also some super rare piccolo and pocket trumpets .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best Lawler models came from the Getzen valves. Up until then it was a hodgepodge of divergent valve makers. Sometimes he nickel plated each piston himself. My Lawler flugel is prior to Getzen valves. In the early 2000's he also made a "brief case" trumpet. The bell detached and he made it fit into an ordinary business brief case which he fabricated himself. Similar to the detachable french horn bells. That horn played great! The slight weight of the coupling on the bell seemed to improve the blow. One of the many horns I've sold that I wish I had back.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hose wrote:
The best Lawler models came from the Getzen valves. Up until then it was a hodgepodge of divergent valve makers. Sometimes he nickel plated each piston himself. My Lawler flugel is prior to Getzen valves. In the early 2000's he also made a "brief case" trumpet. The bell detached and he made it fit into an ordinary business brief case which he fabricated himself. Similar to the detachable french horn bells. That horn played great! The slight weight of the coupling on the bell seemed to improve the blow. One of the many horns I've sold that I wish I had back.

I have a cornet from Orlando period with Kanstul valves and metal guides and they are great , almost as good as Getzen.
As for the brief case I believe that was a oppion for all horns , I had a TL6L with STS bell option that had also a two piece #8 bell fits in a brief case , very practical , the one you had it was a separate model ? I never heard that , very interesting.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had #0182 many years ago. (Hence my name here on TH). Made in 1992 in Orlando, FL. #25H bell. Originally a #2 leadpipe that I had him change to a 1A. Kanstul valves. Raw brass. Played really well, but was different than anything else I had experience with (at that point). A unique but still mainstream sound. It resonated in your hands like nothing else I have played. Low A produced a crazy amount of vibration.

I would love to find it. No idea where it is.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting bell, 25H is like a modern #5 but probably heavyweight , never heard again about a standard bell but heavyweight , Roy as a handmade horn maker he had make almost everything in the 35 years of trumpet making.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
Interesting bell, 25H is like a modern #5 but probably heavyweight , never heard again about a standard bell but heavyweight , Roy as a handmade horn maker he had make almost everything in the 35 years of trumpet making.

Regards

Yeah. From what I understand, the #25 was a lead-style bell? My horn didn't have a ton of sizzle, but it sounded beautiful.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the #5 bell is the commercial/lead bell of the line but the heavier version it will have more meaty sound , #5R (red brass) also have more meaty sound but the yellow brass with the proper mpc is a real weapon ...

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: