• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lawler model: where is it??

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
hose wrote:
The best Lawler models came from the Getzen valves. Up until then it was a hodgepodge of divergent valve makers. Sometimes he nickel plated each piston himself. My Lawler flugel is prior to Getzen valves. In the early 2000's he also made a "brief case" trumpet. The bell detached and he made it fit into an ordinary business brief case which he fabricated himself. Similar to the detachable french horn bells. That horn played great! The slight weight of the coupling on the bell seemed to improve the blow. One of the many horns I've sold that I wish I had back.

I have a cornet from Orlando period with Kanstul valves and metal guides and they are great , almost as good as Getzen.
As for the brief case I believe that was a oppion for all horns , I had a TL6L with STS bell option that had also a two piece #8 bell fits in a brief case , very practical , the one you had it was a separate model ? I never heard that , very interesting.

Regards

He had a couple of versions of detachable bells. One where the bell was about a foot long and you could interchange bells for a different sound. The brief case horn had the coupling closer to the bell rim. So the bell flare could lay flat in the brief case that he modified to the customer's specs. It was a very neat arrangement. The right brief case had a lotof room in it. Very ingenious. And you could not tell there was a trumpet inside. JI think mine was a #21 bell which I think was his version of a Bach 37? I would love to play that horn again just to see if it is as good as I thought 18 years ago.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
8compton

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something about owners of Lawlers that I don’t see from others. Such a loyal following of Roy and lovers of his horns.

He was nice enough to email me back with the specs of my mystery horn:
Model B
ML bore .460
1a leadpipe
Raw brass finish
Built on 10-18-2005

Since it was built in ‘05, I’m assuming it is based on the old Benges.

Thanks again for your posts. I enjoyed reading them all.
trpt2honk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Lawler Eb? Reply with quote

While we're singing Roy's praises, does anyone know of a Lawler E flat that might be out there somewhere? I have a Lawler B-flat, C and piccolo, and would love to complete the set so to speak. Lol.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Lawler Eb? Reply with quote

trpt2honk wrote:
While we're singing Roy's praises, does anyone know of a Lawler E flat that might be out there somewhere? I have a Lawler B-flat, C and piccolo, and would love to complete the set so to speak. Lol.

As far i remember Roy had made two or three of them , ii only saw one for sale at Ebay before ten years or more.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/196093261019?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ny5hpe1dr26&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=ooNk-S4_SUm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Something really rare and interesting.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my C7 used (Serial 8##) and then wrote Roy to ask about the specs. Here's his reply:

That is a C7-3-1A. It has a number 3 bell. This C7 was made before we started the M series bells. The #3 bell is a close rendition of the Martin bell. However our M3 bell is an exact copy. This C7 is a MLS bore or #1 bore. It has a 1A leadpipe and its venturi opening is .345. It was built on 10/03/05
Roy Lawler
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a proto-type C from '89 or '90. Looked like it used a Yamaha student valve block. The first Bb I had from Roy used the Blessing block. I had plenty of disposable income back then and kept Roy busy with various modifications. Who ever ended up with my Selmer Claude Gordon with the screw bells - I think you need more choke in the bell tail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: