• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking for a student routine

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yorch

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Looking for a student routine Reply with quote

Hello guys,
I am learning trumpet and I would like you to recommend me a good daily routine.
I can play for an hour every day.
Thank you very much!
F. Besson Class A Cornet (1891)
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to trumpet playing! Harold Mitchell's "Mitchell on Trumpet" is an excellent method. It has a series of 80+ lessons to practice daily. They start at the complete beginner level and go to the very advanced level. Highly recommended. Note that you can also purchase it as a pdf under the title "Harold Mitchell's Complete Trumpet Method" from qPress (qpress.ca).

Bill Knevitt's "The Developing Trumpet Player" is also quite good and available from qPress.

If possible, however, the best thing you can do is work with a teacher. He/she can help you develop a daily routine -- what to practice and how to practice it -- that is tailored to meet you needs.

Good luck!
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Bolvin's *Arban Manual* might be a good place to start. You would, of course, also need a copy of Arban, but Bolvin breaks it down into a set of lessons for you to follow. You can study the comments on other method books, such as the Clarke Studies and Etudes, Flexibility Studies, Bai Lin, etc. and decide on what else to add as time goes on, but Arban is a good place to start.

Because of my breakthru experience in taking a few lessons from a Reinhardt chop doc (Dave Wilken of Wilktone.com) I would recommend a few lessons with a chop doc. A Reinhardt guy would type your embouchure and get it set up right, first thing. Worth doing and could probably be done in some on line lessons. Check Dave's website, as it has a lot of introductory instructional material and some webinars...
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a student routine Reply with quote

Yorch wrote:
Hello guys,
I am learning trumpet and I would like you to recommend me a good daily routine.
I can play for an hour every day. ...

-----------------------------------------------------
Please give us some more information about your current level of trumpet playing - so we can try to tailor our suggestions to your ability.

1) Have you taken any trumpet lessons? Are you able to play easy songs with notes from about C below the staff to E at top of the staff?

2) Have you developed some type of 'trumpet embouchure' - when and how did you learn it? Many players learned to use high mouthpiece pressure and to 'stretch their lips' to play higher notes - does that sound like you? -- that is a problem for many people.

3) Do you have any musical background - especially about 'reading the notes and markings' on sheet music.

And as others have said, getting a teacher is a good idea - a teacher can help you get started using GOOD technique. It is easy to acquire BAD technique that seems to work for a while - but then it is difficult to make further progress, and HARD to break bad habits.

Trumpet playing is not really all that difficult, but there is learned 'skill' and 'technique' involved - and they are not obvious without some instruction and learning.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.

Last edited by JayKosta on Sat May 08, 2021 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yorch

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a student routine Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Yorch wrote:
Hello guys,
I can play for an hour every day. ...

-----------------------------------------------------
Please give us some more information about your current level of trumpet playing - so we can try to tailor our suggestions to your ability.

1) Have you taken any trumpet lessons? Are you able to play easy songs with notes from about C below the staff to E at top of the staff?

2) Have you developed some type of 'trumpet embouchure' - when and how did you learn it? Many players learned to use high mouthpiece pressure and to 'stretch their lips' to play higher notes - does that sound like you? -- that is a problem for many people.

3) Do you have any musical background - especially about 'reading the notes and markings' on sheet music.

And as others have said, getting a teacher is a good idea - a teacher can help you get started using GOOD technique. It is easy to acquire BAD technique that seems to work for a while - but then it is difficult to make further progress, and HARD to break bad habits.

Trumpet playing is not really all that difficult, but there is learned 'skill' and 'technique' involved - any they are not obvious without some instruction and learning.

Thank you all for your help!
Here are my answers:
1.-) Yes I've had some. I am able to play easy songs from low G to second octave E
2.-) I am building my embouchure, this is my 3rd month playing. My fingers can play the scores I have memorised all valves positions but I really would like to work on my lips to be able to play all notes from C to E (or G) comfortable. This is the step I need to work on to start enjoying learning completely.
3.-) I am a professional swing rhythm guitarist able to read any kind of musical score
Thank you again!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a student routine Reply with quote

Yorch wrote:
Here are my answers:
1.-) Yes I've had some. I am able to play easy songs from low G to second octave E
2.-) I am building my embouchure
3.-) I am a professional swing rhythm guitarist able to read any kind of musical score ...

--------------------------------
Thank you for those answers - it gives me a better understanding of your situation.

In the lessons that you had, the teacher probably gave some instruction about embouchure technique. My very basic thoughts about embouchure are here -
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/Embouchure_Basic_Concepts.htm

You can read my ideas and compare them to what you were taught, and what you are now DOING (and what you have learned elsewhere).

Don't make changes based only on my ideas, but use them as 'things to consider' - and perhaps to discuss with a teacher who might be able to explain them better and actually see what you are doing.

There are many threads in the FUNDAMENTALS section about embouchure.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorch, there is a 20 minute routine I've been doing every morning for the past 6 years, go to google and type in the following:

Greg Wing 20 minute routine for trumpets

Download the pdf. It is 3 pages long. The routine has a little bit of everything. I supplement this with some other varied routines to cover about 45 minutes each morning.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning a daily routine.
There's some advice and thoughts here -
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1626587#1626587

My typical session is:
1) a lip 'warm-up' period of easy notes to 'get things working'
2) a 'fundamentals' period of long tones, intervals, articulations, etudes that employ and train the fundamentals, etc.
3) playing music that I enjoy and that would be suitable to perform.
Yorch

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys!
I will read everything carefully
The trumpet is just an amazing instrument, every time I was playing with trumpeters I was thinking "One day I will learn to play it"
When I be capable to play it will be amazing. I practise every single day at least for an hour.
Thank you all again
beagle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I switched from guitar to trumpet I got a teacher and also this book:
https://www.bookdepository.com/Jazz-Method-for-Trumpet-John-ONeill/9780946535255

The book is kind of unique in that it starts from the very beginning but gets you playing jazz from day 1 and also progresses quite quickly. It is ideal for an adult learner.

I wouldn't worry too much yet about all the technical exercises. There'll be plenty of time for them once you've been playing a bit longer. At this stage just enjoying learning new things. Pretty much anything you do on the horn will help you improve when you are starting out.

BTW: You've already got three horns after 3 months playing? I think this is going to get expensive!
Yorch

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beagle wrote:
When I switched from guitar to trumpet I got a teacher and also this book:
https://www.bookdepository.com/Jazz-Method-for-Trumpet-John-ONeill/9780946535255

The book is kind of unique in that it starts from the very beginning but gets you playing jazz from day 1 and also progresses quite quickly. It is ideal for an adult learner.

I wouldn't worry too much yet about all the technical exercises. There'll be plenty of time for them once you've been playing a bit longer. At this stage just enjoying learning new things. Pretty much anything you do on the horn will help you improve when you are starting out.

BTW: You've already got three horns after 3 months playing? I think this is going to get expensive!

Hello Beagle!
I have that book already! I've just learned this week track 45: "Bossa for Betty"
Thank you for your advice it helps! I really enjoy the trumpet. After being a jazz manouche rhythm guitarist for a looong time it's amazing playing melodies!

I have 3 trumpets because I fix them, before start playing I learned how to fix them (remove dents, soldering, all of that). So I bought some trumpet in really bad condition and I fix them. Anyway I am very confortable with the Yamaha 4320ES the other ones are more difficult to play because of the bigger bores. I just play the Yamaha, one day (one year) I will be able to play a better horn but I am really happy with my "Silverada".
How many time since you start playing trumpet?
Hugs!
Yorch

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
Yorch, there is a 20 minute routine I've been doing every morning for the past 6 years, go to google and type in the following:

Download the pdf. It is 3 pages long. The routine has a little bit of everything. I supplement this with some other varied routines to cover about 45 minutes each morning.

George

First day of this routine, I really enjoyed! Thanks! (I couldn't reach the escales beyond G my embouchure said "enough baby")
Thank you
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorch:

GeorgeB wrote:

George

On SoundCloud search for "William Adam and Greg Wing Play the Routine"

Great stuff! Whether you ever practice exactly that or not, it's great stuff to hear. And of course you can practice it, alternately listening so you rest as much as you play. I first got paid to play in 1977 and still refer to this recording sometimes.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sachs Daily Fundamentals for the Trumpet.

Will give you a variety of things to look at, to consider, and sources for other material.

RMEMBER, it's not necessarily WHAT you play, but HOW you play it.
You can play all the patterns in the world, but could be doing so ineffectively.

I have a short warmup routine that I give my students as a starting point for building a routine that fits them, but I don't like sharing it with someone unless we have the ability to talk through it, understand what the exercises are directed to, ahd how to approach using them.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not what you practice but rather how you practice that matters.

How you practice is prescribed by a qualified teacher based on your playing.

Be very careful of internet "experts", especially on this forum.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorch wrote:

First day of this routine, I really enjoyed! Thanks! (I couldn't reach the escales beyond G my embouchure said "enough baby")
Thank you

Yeah it has kept me in condition so I do it even if I don't play anything else that day.
Don't sweat the expanding scales. The A, B and C will come in time. Eventually, playing that high C daily will give you a lot of confidence and help you play stuff on the staff easier.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
beagle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorch wrote:

Hello Beagle!
I have that book already! I've just learned this week track 45: "Bossa for Betty"
Thank you for your advice it helps! I really enjoy the trumpet. After being a jazz manouche rhythm guitarist for a looong time it's amazing playing melodies!

I have 3 trumpets because I fix them, before start playing I learned how to fix them (remove dents, soldering, all of that). So I bought some trumpet in really bad condition and I fix them. Anyway I am very confortable with the Yamaha 4320ES the other ones are more difficult to play because of the bigger bores. I just play the Yamaha, one day (one year) I will be able to play a better horn but I am really happy with my "Silverada".
Hugs!

I switched to trumpet about 15 years ago now and that book helped me a lot at the time. Another very helpful thing is to play with other musicians as soon as you can. I joined a jazz quintet after I'd been playing for about a year or so. It really gives a focus to your practice if you know there's a gig coming up.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with beagle join a band as soon as you can play well and have a decent endurance. But don't rush it.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
Yorch

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beagle wrote:
Yorch wrote:

Hello Beagle!

Hugs!

I switched to trumpet about 15 years ago now and that book helped me a lot at the time. Another very helpful thing is to play with other musicians as soon as you can. I joined a jazz quintet after I'd been playing for about a year or so. It really gives a focus to your practice if you know there's a gig coming up.

You know...that is my goal from the beginning! I would like to join a big band but I have to practice a lot (probably a couple of years) before that. BUT that day will come.
Hugs!
Yorch

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
Yorch wrote:

Thank you

Yeah it has kept me in condition so I do it even if I don't play anything else that day.
Don't sweat the expanding scales. The A, B and C will come in time. Eventually, playing that high C daily will give you a lot of confidence and help you play stuff on the staff easier.

George

This is exactly what I was looking for. I am playing that every day as warm up and if I have don't have more time I only play that.
When I play that really comfortable for a while I will go for the next step.
Hugs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: