• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trombone mouthpiece for trumpet player

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I doubled on marching baritone in college I used a Bach 9 short shank trombone mouthpiece. Even though it felt "small" it made no difference in helping go back and forth. Just learn how to adjust to each one separately. It doesn't take long.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly I use trombone while teaching beginners or sectional rehearsals with younger players. I use a Greg Black 11C with a small bore Bach model 6 trombone. This set up allows me to get a good characteristic trombone sound to model for the kids. Basically I blow into it the same way a blow into a trumpet. Much easier to switch between trumpet and bone than a larger set up.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as we're all different with trumpet mouthpieces, we're all different with trombone mouthpieces -- whether we're doublers or not.

I played trombone as my primary instrument for 20 years, was never comfortable on a Bach 6.5AL (pretty much the smallest "expected" mouthpiece for any serious trombone player where I grew up), was ridiculed for playing a Bach 7C, and ended up playing a Bach 6.75C for most of my serious trombone playing time.

I've played trumpet as my primary instrument for the past 30 years, and started doubling on valve and slide trombone in the last 10 years.

At this point I'm most comfortable on trombone playing a new-vintage Jet-Tone BM-L -- what was once known as the "Buddy Morrow - Lead" mouthpiece. It's small and shallow, yet with it I played a recording session earlier today and will play a concert with a big band on the second trombone chair next week. Nobody's complaining and I'm getting all the trombone gigs I want (read into that what you will).
blownchops

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Band director that plays a lot of trombone with their students here

I found that playing a smaller, more "trumpet-y" trombone mouthpiece blurred the lines between trumpet and trombone and caused inconsistency issues.
I bought a bach 42B (Standard large bore F attachment tbone) used and it came with a bach 5g. It worked well and kept my trumpet chops and my trombone chops "separate" and issue free. After playing both almost daily I no longer have any consistency issues on either horn or range issues on trumpet.

For me, my face appreciated the difference in the mouthpiece and allowed my chops to do what they needed to do for each instrument.

I have also tried a 6.5A and thought it was okay and a schilkie 51 and 51D that I liked a lot but no not plan on buying as I have invested enough in a horn that I only play at school.
blownchops

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another note,

Trombone (for me) an easier instrument to learn than the trumpet but you will have to work at it. Slide technique takes some time, understanding the wonky trombone "slurs" and actual slurs takes time, getting used to the feeling of air moving as you move the slide and blowing through that also takes some time.

If you think you will pick it up and go no problem you might be in for a hard time. It took me a while of playing trombone while helping teach fundamentals at my feeder middle school to feel confident to even play simple tunes for friends on trombone. It can be pretty unforgiving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: