• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry 3C same size as Bach 3C?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladsar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Curry 3C same size as Bach 3C? Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm looking for an allround trumpet mouthpiece. Before ordering I would like to narrow my search as much as possible. I've heard many positive things about Curry mouthpieces. But I am somewhat confused beacuse of the difference in inner cup diamter. Bach 3C cup diameter is 16.3 mm. But Curry 3C cup diameter is 16,9 mm. Am I right about this? I've read and heard many things about inconsistency and so on when it comes to mouthpieces. I hope someone can help me out here.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different mouthpieces may be measured at different points on the mouthpiece, so they are not a reliable indicator.

I use a Curry 3C. and previously used a Bach 3C for many years. They are functionally equivalent. Some people find the Curry a bit on the larger side, but I personally never found that to be the case.

Good luck!
ladsar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that's very helpful

Looks like it has to be 3C or 5C. Du you know if there is a significant difference between those Curry mouthpieces except from cup diameter?
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladsar wrote:
Thank you, that's very helpful

Looks like it has to be 3C or 5C. Du you know if there is a significant difference between those Curry mouthpieces except from cup diameter?

I don't know, I haven't played a Curry 5. The Currys are based on Bachs (at least the C cups are) so they won't be very far apart from what you're used to with a Bach. Ultimately, you might have to try both and sell the one you don't like on the Trumpetherald marketplace or eBay or whatever.

My experience with Bach mouthpieces many, many years ago was that my 3Cs were considerably shallower than my 5C, but again this was quite a long time ago.

Good luck!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore the published IDs, they really don't tell the story. The Curry 3C. I've played great. Depending on the vintage of Bach 3C it may feel slighter smaller or larger but not radically so.

Understand that the Bach 5C and 3C may be slightly different sizes but are defined by quite a different rim feel and bite. The 3C feeling relatively flat with a soft-ish bite and the 5C with a relative rounder rim and a sharper bite. I understand that the Curry pieces follow this convention.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a significant difference between a Curry 3 rim and a Curry 5 rim.. as someone else wrote the 5's are more rounded with a sharper bite, and a touch smaller. #3 rims are flatter with a softer bite, IMO a great balance - not too sharp, not too soft.
Go for the Curry 3C. Then you can get a deeper or shallower cup as you want. A big plus, to me, is that Curry rims are consistent regardless of cup shape, depth, or instrument (Flugel, Cornet, Trumpet) - they all feel the same (unlike some makers)
And stick with the standard blank, not the "UltraLite, BlackJack HitMan" designs.

The only "odd-ball" one in the mix the 3 BC. which comes stock with a Bach like blank (looks like a Bach mouthpiece) and is a slightly different rim size/shape compared to his normal 3 rim.
Retired Air Force Bandsman

Last edited by zaferis on Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total
ladsar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Go for the Curry 3C. Then you can get a deeper or shallower cup as you want. A big plus, to me, is that Curry rims are consistent regardless of cup shape, depth, or instrument

That's a big plus! I play in a big band, so I might go for another Curry if I like the 3C or 5C

I did try a 5BBC and a 5DC for my cornet. It worked well for me, the rim felt very comfortable. So I might go for 5C on my trumpet. Anyway, I did order 3C and 5C, maybe I like the 3C even better Or maybe I don't... After searching for a while I've more than once been sure that I found the right one. But when I try it, it's not even close.

Off course, in the end it's all about how you practice. But I believe right equipment will make things a little bit easier.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry 3C the same size as a Bach 3C? It depends on which Bach 3C was made during which run of 3C mouthpieces in which year in the last seventy years.
ladsar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
Curry 3C the same size as a Bach 3C? It depends on which Bach 3C was made during which run of 3C mouthpieces in which year in the last seventy years.

In my first post I'm referring to a Bach 3C cup diameter 16,3 mm and a Curry 3C cup diamter 16,9 mm. This is taken from the newest charts, so I'm talking about brand new mouthpieces. I currently play on a Vincent Bach Corp. 3C, and I know this is a different mouthpiece than a new Bach 3C. As Turkle said, mouthpieces may be measured at different points. So I'm not sure if I can compare those charts or not.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladsar wrote:
a Bach 3C cup diameter 16,3 mm and a Curry 3C cup diamter 16,9 mm. This is taken from the newest charts,
Newest charts or not, the numbers can't really be compared unless you know, in detail, the measurement method, as well as the manufacturing tolerances. And even then, they're likely to be marketing numbers rather than technical specifications.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And even if you know exactly how the pieces are measured, that really doesn't tell you how the piece is going to feel. Tiny difference in shape and blow can make a big difference in perceived size.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curry blank is very different from the Bach blank. There is a difference in feel on the face.
I didn't like the weight distribution yet the rest of the 3C was fine.
You can order his Bach style blank for a small extra cost.
R. Tomasek
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladsar wrote:
iiipopes wrote:

In my first post I'm referring to a Bach 3C cup diameter 16,3 mm and a Curry 3C cup diamter 16,9 mm. This is taken from the newest charts, so I'm talking about brand new mouthpieces. I currently play on a Vincent Bach Corp. 3C, and I know this is a different mouthpiece than a new Bach 3C. As Turkle said, mouthpieces may be measured at different points. So I'm not sure if I can compare those charts or not.

The Bach charts lie. Period. Most 3Cs are in the neighborhood and average about .665 inches, or 16.9mm as is the Curry. As I sit here while I type this post with my mouthpieces and calipers at hand, I have an unknown age Selmer era Bach 3C cornet mouthpiece (no Corp) that measures about .670; my early-to-mid-'70's trumpet 3C my folks bought me in high school that measures about .665; and my relatively new 3C/76 backbore I bought from the guy who bought it new a few years ago that measures about .665. All have slightly different rim contours.

By contrast, I have two Yammy Bobby Shew "Jazz" trumpet mouthpieces, which are essentially a 3C cup and rim with a tighter backbore, purchased at different times, so probably out of different runs, and they both measure exactly on "spec" of .663.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Different mouthpieces may be measured at different points on the mouthpiece, so they are not a reliable indicator.

I use a Curry 3C. and previously used a Bach 3C for many years. They are functionally equivalent. Some people find the Curry a bit on the larger side, but I personally never found that to be the case.

Good luck!

This is correct - nothing more to add.

Except.....perhaps I disagree slightly with Curry being the same size as the Bach. I think the Curry is larger, not by much, but diameter, feel and weight - definitely larger. The Curry is more the higher quality piece.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMrtn wrote:
Except.....perhaps I disagree slightly with Curry being the same size as the Bach. I think the Curry is larger, not by much, but diameter, feel and weight - definitely larger. The Curry is more the higher quality piece.

This could be because of the throat. Bach ships with a standard #27 throat. In the old days, they also shipped with a reamer so the player could adjust the throat to his/her breath support. But nobody does, except for a few players in orchestra and a couple of other places who enlarge their throats in conjunction with their master consultant and master tech.

By contrast, Curry has a slightly enlarged throat, what he calls a "wobbly 27," a couple of thou larger so if you pass a #27 drill bit through it, it is loose, about half-way between a #27 and a #26 drill bit. The larger throat, even though only a couple of thou, will have less resistance and give the impression of a larger mouthpiece.

Knowing this, I enlarged the throat of my custom Bach 3C/#76 backbore the same way to Curry specs. Everything has opened up in tone, intonation, and the "feel" or "feedback" that helps me be as efficient as I can be with my breath support. Your mileage will vary.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
SMrtn wrote:

This could be because of the throat. Bach ships with a standard #27 throat. In the old days, they also shipped with a reamer so the player could adjust the throat to his/her breath support. But nobody does, except for a few players in orchestra and a couple of other places who enlarge their throats in conjunction with their master consultant and master tech.

By contrast, Curry has a slightly enlarged throat, what he calls a "wobbly 27," a couple of thou larger so if you pass a #27 drill bit through it, it is loose, about half-way between a #27 and a #26 drill bit. The larger throat, even though only a couple of thou, will have less resistance and give the impression of a larger mouthpiece.

Knowing this, I enlarged the throat of my custom Bach 3C/#76 backbore the same way to Curry specs. Everything has opened up in tone, intonation, and the "feel" or "feedback" that helps me be as efficient as I can be with my breath support. Your mileage will vary.

That sounds quite feasible. Interesting info.

Thanks.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture paints a thousand words.

https://i.postimg.cc/MpncVKkY/Curry-3-C-dot-red-vs-Bach-3-C-green.jpg
Curry 3C.(red) vs. Bach 3C (green)

Click on the image to open it full-sized in a separate window.

Note that though the Bach 3C varies a bit, the one used in the scan is considered to be one of the good ones. It is actually Charlie Davis's early Elkhart 3C.

The Curry 3C. is modeled after a smaller than typical Mt Vernon Bach 3C that Mark Curry found. As such, though it has the rim contour and cup shape of a Mt Vernon Bach 3C (both of which are different than that of a typical Elkhart Bach 3C), it has a cup diameter size that is very close to a typical Elkhart 3C. It is a little deeper than a typical Elkhart 3C and due to the decreased alpha angle of the cup coming off the rim (more of a straighter drop), it feels a little bigger than a typical Elkhart 3C.

To the OP: I recommend you order a Curry 3C. mouthpiece. I think it's a better mouthpiece than the current standard Bach 3C. Though it's not my main mouthpiece, I could make the Curry 3C. work fine for me in just about any playing situation I encounter. I could not do that as well with a new Bach 3C.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
ladsar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Note that though the Bach 3C varies a bit, the one used in the scan is considered to be one of the good ones. It is actually Charlie Davis's early Elkhart 3C.

The Curry 3C. is modeled after a smaller than typical Mt Vernon Bach 3C that Mark Curry found. As such, though it has the rim contour and cup shape of a Mt Vernon Bach 3C (both of which are different than that of a typical Elkhart Bach 3C), it has a cup diameter size that is very close to a typical Elkhart 3C. It is a little deeper than a typical Elkhart 3C and due to the decreased alpha angle of the cup coming off the rim (more of a straighter drop), it feels a little bigger than a typical Elkhart 3C.

To the OP: I recommend you order a Curry 3C. mouthpiece. I think it's a better mouthpiece than the current standard Bach 3C. Though it's not my main mouthpiece, I could make the Curry 3C. work fine for me in just about any playing situation I encounter. I could not do that as well with a new Bach 3C.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested

Thank you, very good information

I did order a standard Curry 3C. and the 5C. I will probably get them today or tomorrow, looking forward to try them this weekend.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a long time Bach 3C player (I had an older Corp. one) and was never really happy with the shallow cup depth and my tone on it. I tried a Bach 3B and it was a totally different animal. Really nice tone, but it sucked the life out of me.

I had previously purchased a Curry 3BBC. for my cornet and really liked it, so I bought a Curry 3C. to see how I liked it. Man, it was great from the first note, familiar but much better than the Bach. I'm still playing it today as my main, all-around mouthpiece. Easy on the face, nice tone, good endurance - I highly recommend it.
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I highly recommend the ACB 3C. It's probably the best early Elkhart Bach 3C type mouthpiece I've ever played. If you're looking for a larger Mt. Vernon Bach 3C size, the Curry 3C. is definitely an incredible piece. It is a bit on the big size--the best Mt. Vernon 3C "copy" that doesn't feel too big is the Warburton Arturo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: