• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which Method for an Old Beginner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmh737
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Which Method for an Old Beginner Reply with quote

Been playing trumpet off and on for about 35 yrs. I know my scales in all keys not quite like the back of my hand, but pretty well. I continue to work on those. I'm happy with my sound and range.

I just started on-line lessons to get my technique tightened up.

I can play what I hear for the most part, but I just don't hear what I WANT to play.

I was looking at starting an improv course and am looking at 3 and wanted to get some feedback.

1) Jamey Abersold
2) Improvisation for Real
3) Jazz Tactics

Any help at all is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Dave
flat.io
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen and copy.

Start with players like Chet Baker, Miles Davis (1959).
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind, Jazz is aural art. That means learning with your ears. I would spend most of my time listening and copying and then improvise on your own.

IMO, there's noting wrong with theoretical knowledge but not at a disproportionate emphasis from the aural work. Do not get bogged down with it. And listen voraciously.

Clark Terry said it succinctly; "Imitate-Assimilate-Innovate".

You should transcribe licks from recordings. Learn them in all keys because you never know how you will use them over a tune's chords . Then do the same for entire solos. I agree with Billy. 50s Miles is relatively simple rhythmically and Chet is mainly diatonic. They are easier starting than with Giant Steps, LOL.

I personally learned by first improvising with no help, just ear. When I would get really stuck then, and only then, would I analyze what's happening-the right chord/scale.

The last time I followed an actual course was Berklee Improvisation back in the Dark Ages so can't elp you with something current.

I will tell you how I use theoretical material though with performance is studying MMark Levine's The Jazz Theory Book. If you need some structure, Aebersold has a good primer on How to Practice Jazz. (jazzbooks.com)

Keeping in mind what I said about transcribing, analysing solos and use of melody to chords/form and ear training, a very good way to is to use play alongs and I suggest Aebersold Vol. 1, Vol. 2 and Vol 54. Then eventually adding Vol 3 and Vol 4. If you do use the Aebersolds be sure to read and absorb all the written information in Vol !. Don't underestimate it.

Also, look for jam sessions or open mike nights. Play live with other musicians.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree wholeheartedly with kehaulani... listening and copying. I listen to Bobby Hackett a lot because I prefer his style of jazz playing. He never wanders too far from the melody and that's what I do.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: