• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Beginning BE on [french] horn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fractacular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, after reading around here and reading Jeff's page, I am now a proud and excited owner of BE. This is my third day, and I while I'm sure it will take time for real sound/range improvements, I sure _feel_ a lot better about my playing! I was so glad to see that the Troubleshooting section addresses with three of my bad problems, stutter tongue, throat tension, and double buzzing. Three months of private Alexander Technique lessons couldn't rid me of any three, and they're all gone now!

I have a specific question (maybe for Ole, who seems to use this on horn) about the Roll-Out. The Double Pedal C for horn players is actually our fundamental on F horn and my range went down to that note already. I can really wallop one out with the Rolled Out embouchure though! My question is, should I be going down to the F# below that? (Only a horn player can understand that that trying to play a note like that seems ridiculously impossible!)

Alternatively, should I be playing my Double Pedals on the Bb side so that I'm within a very low but more possible range? All three valves down would bring me to the B below my fundamental C.

I was having problems with lip clamp until 2 seconds ago, when I realized that the lips don't have to be tucked up as high as possible. People who were asking about teeth clenching/separation (which was my problem) might try actually sucking the lips between the teeth to see how that feels, then putting it only a little higher. At least, that's what I'm doing and it burns right with no clenched teeth and I can squeak! So, someone tell me if I'm going down a bad path

I don't know how much interest this is to the forum, but if you want I can keep everyone posted on how my application of BE to horn goes, I'm not sure if any non-trumpet players have done this.

Thanks!
Marc
jazzfrenchhornguy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I'M certainly interested to hear how you progress! as i stated in another thread here (too lazy to look up the exact one...), once i get seriously back into my Caruso, i intend to add BE to the mix as well. good luck!

http://www.marktaylormusic.net
http://www.mellocast.com
http://www.facebook.com/MarkTaylorMusic
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marc,

Great to have another horn player "on board"!

I do Roll-Outs on the Bb side of my horn. It equals the Bb trumpet double pedals (and I also play trumpet). I can do them with "Einsetzen" and with a more normal embouchure. Some horn teachers warn against the old "Einsetzen". I do "Einsetzen" on all the Roll-Outs. It give me almost the same feel as on on trumpet. The only difference is that I can play the note on trumpet almost twice as long as on horn. Well, these notes are not on the trumpet, but on the horn (the fundamentals)

As to your question for going further down? Why not? In regards to B.E, I personally don't see the need for it, but who knows, maybe this will be positive for the whole development.

Bert said something good about lip clamp and the sound of it:
It has to sound like a balloon where you let the air PEEEEEEEEP out.

Keep us updated on your development, Marc!

Ole
HJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am not a French horn player, but I think basically we are in the same boat. I think it is not really important how low you go. It is the way you play the roll-out exercises that counts. Corners inward and your lips rolled out just as the pictures in the book indicate. Listen to the sound: focused and even. This creates the feel of focus, unlocks the corners and will develop and strengthen the cushion that you need to build your embouchure upon.

Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: