• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warmup - set routine or go with the flow?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Warmup - set routine or go with the flow? Reply with quote

I have dozens of warmup routines from different methods and players I've accumulated over the years, including some I put together myself.

I don't use them anymore. I have found that set routines hinder rather than help me, as I'm focused on getting through the routine rather than being focused on the good response and tone that indicates I'm warmed up.

Now I warmup more instinctively within an overall framework. The first project is getting a responsive easy note in the staff - usually between G and C. The next project is getting low C up to top staff G going. Some days this takes a couple of minutes, other days longer. Once I've got a good scale, I'll get both tonguing and slurring going well. Maybe I'll play a jazz tune head that I know. I particularly like bossa novas for this, as they often repeat patterns in a limited range - Corcovado for example.

Next I'll warm up to high C using the same approach.

Finally (at the current time), I'll play diminished arpeggios up to the upper end of my range that I'm working on.

Often in 10 minutes I'm completely ready to go.

What's your ideal warmup approach?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jabroni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: great post Reply with quote

Good day sir,

This is a great post and I thank you for it. Achieving a free and easy response is the goal and key to daily success. Depending on how I feel, breathing exercises, easy rim, mp to horn. Perhaps some pedal tones. Easy flexibility, some flow from middle to upper with light articulations.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for most people, there is a difference between warm-up and routine.

I am usually warmed up and ready to play anything in about 1-3 minutes. After that, I play my routine, which I consider a practice session. In my routine I keep a set routine for about 3 months and then change quarterly. I am looking to have about 70% basic stuff and 30% slightly challenging. By the end of 3 months it's 100% stuff I can do (because I have ideally gotten better).

I think the goal for most people should be to minimize the time it takes to get "warmed-up" ideally to where we need no warm-up or under a minute. This will indicate a few things: 1) you are not beating yourself up in previous practice sessions, 2) you have a very repeatable way to approach the instrument (breathing, set up, etc), 3) you have a great neural connection between mind and instrument.

If you take a look at athletes, they have a pretty set warm-up depending on the task at hand. It prepares the body and prepares the mind (we have significantly less body prep to do than a soccer player but that's another discussion). In general, they aren't trying a new warm up every day. All this is to say, you should be playing in a very deliberate way every single time you play (a golfer isn't just whacking balls as hard as they can to warm up). This will be the fastest way to improvement and feeling "warmed up."

When you say: "I have found that set routines hinder rather than help me, as I'm focused on getting through the routine rather than being focused on the good response and tone that indicates I'm warmed up" it doesn't quite make sense. What you're saying is that your mindset is different in situation 1 vs situation 2. But your mindset should be the same in all situations, play deliberately and beautifully.

In summary: warm-up is different than routine, play everything deliberately, reduce warm-up time, and maintain the mindset of greatness.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, what "abontrumpet" wrote.

Warm-up = what you do to prepare the mind and body to be able to execute the activity of playing the trumpet. Getting to that, hopefully, stable physical state to reduce injury and to promote strong efficient activity.

Routine = dedicated daily review, maintenance, isolation, and perfecting fundamentals of playng the instrument and musical abilities.

Both vary over time and with personal needs, but there should be a high degree of consistency to build repeatable, dependable skills.

Air. (posture, tone, range, flexibility, etc...)
Air+Fingers.
Air+Tongue.
Air+Fingers+Tongue.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Warm Up: set routine or go with the flow Reply with quote

Very much what Zaferis says. Some of the qualities I tried applying to the way I practiced music I got from my interest in sports. Golfer Ben Hogan was asked what was he really looking for with his golf performance. He said he was looking for a swing that repeated itself under pressure. It always seemed to me that if I hoped to perform well for a concert, in church or for a wedding, say that the way I prepared for that needed to be consistent. Drawing on that sports adage I think I found that when I set a warm up routine it helped much with what followed, too. Again, if you are at all new to the trumpet listen to what Zaferis said as it will be a key to success down the road.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a beginner or intermediate player needs to have a set warmup/routine they do each day. When you have been playing for a while, you can just go with the flow. I focus a lot more on how I'm playing, what my air is doing, what my face is doing, what my body is doing, and what my sound is like than focusing on what specific music I am playing. I would never stick with a specific daily routine these days.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 'beginning players' having a fixed warm-up and basic-fundamentals routine is a good way to assure that important aspects of playing get practiced on a regular basis.

It can be too easy to skip the things that aren't going well, but it is those things that need the most improvement.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
For 'beginning players' having a fixed warm-up and basic-fundamentals routine is a good way to assure that important aspects of playing get practiced on a regular basis.

It can be too easy to skip the things that aren't going well, but it is those things that need the most improvement.

No. Players of all abilities need a basic fundamental routine. Even professional athletes at the top of their game practice fundamentals every day to reinforce the brain/muscle connection.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Warmup - set routine or go with the flow? Reply with quote

gtromble wrote:
I have dozens of warmup routines from different methods and players I've accumulated over the years, including some I put together myself.

I don't use them anymore. I have found that set routines hinder rather than help me, as I'm focused on getting through the routine rather than being focused on the good response and tone that indicates I'm warmed up.

Now I warmup more instinctively within an overall framework. The first project is getting a responsive easy note in the staff - usually between G and C. The next project is getting low C up to top staff G going. Some days this takes a couple of minutes, other days longer. Once I've got a good scale, I'll get both tonguing and slurring going well. Maybe I'll play a jazz tune head that I know. I particularly like bossa novas for this, as they often repeat patterns in a limited range - Corcovado for example.

Finally (at the current time), I'll play diminished arpeggios up to the upper end of my range that I'm working on.

Often in 10 minutes I'm completely ready to go.

Mine is buzzing the mouthpiece quietly for a minute or two. Seriously. Not everyone needs a formal warm up, and VERY seldom do my gigs have anywhere I could do it without annoying people and / or management.

Brad
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My warm-up is to assure myself that things are as normal and ready as possible. I play the same things in the same order so that I can check to make sure I have the fundamentals in place, that I feel right to play, that I address any day-to-day issues in playing that have arisen. My warm-up gets me prepared to be in the same place playing-wise every day.

A routine of materials can be helpful for development, and sometimes, the warm-up shows specific areas where I need to add some practice to my day. The other day, upwards intervals of 6ths were giving me issue, so I created a couple of little exercises based on Arban that I played through in several keys. 5 minutes of upward intervals, and I have them reset and am fine. But even that was more of a warm-up than a routine.

Routine to me is the practice of materials that build my playing and adds to my arsenal. Sometimes, it is a review of materials that solidifies my playing. But routine never happens for me until the air is moving, the chops are flexible and relaxed, and my lyrical, warm tone is set. Those are the goals of warm-up. Then, the routine can occur with the most value and growth.

Works for me....
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard James Morrison recently on a podcast and he says he really doesn't need a warmup. Coming back after months off he also said he could play the same range, quality, etc., but lacked endurance.

For me I do stamp to start, scales, and then I'm working my way into Clarke, flexibility studies, etc. I do find I really regress if I don't practice something. Today I tried to do Clarke tongued and it was a lot more challenging, so clearly I've been neglecting that.

Morrison did say that he thinks for performances, many folk don't need the long warmups they do: once they sound good, they are probably ready to perform.
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Warmup - set routine or go with the flow? Reply with quote

gtromble wrote:

My warmup consists of five pages from Arban's, selected by me for whatever I consider my present needs to be.

Quote:

I don't have much trouble playing above the staff. My main obstacles are smooth pitch transitions between certain notes. Below-the-staff C, C# and D are prime examples. I also sometimes overblow when making upward jumps, like BTS D to top-of-staff E.

Quote:

I don't seem to have one. The warmup -- for me -- is mainly to prepare my breathing and embouchure for the "real" music that follows.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My warmup is simple. I flap my lips all way to jaw and when I’m done I have good bloodflow to begin.then I play scales till I feel right 2-3 minutes or until I feel I’m set up correctly. Then I practice on correcting my many deficiencies. If I feel good I will start right in, if wobbly I’ll go thru the flapping and reset the embouchure .. as I improve and play more this usually takes no more than 5 minutes. Nothing special, just get to where it feels natural, and remember how it feels when it works well, rinse, repeat.
Rod
12K4

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Caruso six notes and seconds are pretty hard to go wrong with for me.
Sometimes it's better to break up the routines, though. As long as you play smart, you'll probably be ok. Don't force. If you get hooked on a routine, you can cause yourself problems too. Try to only practice things that feel good. Even if you play to fatigue try to make sure your chops still feel good and it should be the right fatigue, that will lead to you getting stronger, not weaker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: