• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tuning bell storage / transport / use

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgsmith1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Tuning bell storage / transport / use Reply with quote

Just got a tuning bell (Schilke, heavy design) - if you've owned a tuning bell, any tips on cases that protect well or should be avoided?

When taking a quick break from playing, how do you put the instrument down? I've just been putting it back in the factory case but tend to practice intermittently and with other trumpets I usually just rest them on a bed or chair, bell side (left hand side as you play) down on the bed. With the tuning bell I worry this puts some weight on the single brace on the valve cluster.

I don't even own a trumpet stand anymore, not that I'd dare try that with this instrument anyway.
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend a good fitted case (ideally side-loading, rather than torpedo/wolfpak style) but that's about it.

Main C for many years was a tunable bell Bach, and never had any issues (often keeping it on a stand if needed/relevant/etc.)

It won't take stress, but if you're careful with your instruments in general it shouldn't be a problem.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Schilke C3Lb (very thin copper tuning bell) for close to twenty years. I've treated it no differently from any other trumpet I've owned, and it's been fine.

I place it in any case I own or put it on a trumpet stand. My stand of choice for many years is a Hercules folding model. I've never had a top-loading torpedo like case. I'm generally very careful with all of my possessions, and when I do resell a trumpet, the comments have been that the trumpet looks practically brand new. Things might be different for you if you're generally rougher on your horns.

Since my trumpet is much lighter than your heavy design model, I can't comment if yours would fare any better or worse than mine because of the weight difference.

Enjoy the horn!
DrewB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Tuning bell storage Reply with quote

I’ve owned two tuning bell models for 50 years. In the 70s I built my own case, as there were none that would protect the horn. Since then, I’ve purchased an original Torpedo and it works great, as long as you put the horn in a bag like The Tarnishnot bag. I have a friend that uses a pillow case. Either way, if you don’t, you will lose plating. I use stands in my practice room. Make sure that the screws are tightened at all times except when tuning. The worst thing, IMO, is to set the horn down on a piece of furniture where it can get damaged. Enjoy the horn. You’ll never want to play a fixed bell horn again.
Yogadidit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Tuning Bells Reply with quote

I have two extra ones for my Schilke horn. I store them in a hard sided original double Yamaha case. It works well to protect them.
MV Bach 239C/Bb
Yamaha 6330II Cornet
Getzen 895 Eterna Flugel
Dillon Piccolo
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't drop it.

I do not have any trouble putting mine on a stand, etc. You just cannot torque on it. I always store mine in the original Schilke case and have no trouble. I avoid using mine for outside or otherwise "dangerous" playing.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the best fitted case you can...I have a vintage B6L with a VERY thin beryllium copper bell and I use a Marcus Bona case. I used to think it was nuts that Bill Chase and Johnny Madrid (both had B6L's with VERY thin beryllium bells) used leather gig bags with little to no protection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: