• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to make trumpet scream?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAidanAU

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: How to make trumpet scream? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am wondering how to make my trumpet scream. I have tried looking online, but most things that I have found do not really say how to.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back about 1974 I was at Texas Bandmasters conference trying out piccolo trumpets at the horn display and was caught off guard when Cat Anderson walked up behind me and we struck up a conversation about high range playing. Cat was there to perform with the Air Force Band, and he was AMAZING to hear live.

His advice seemed to focus on the necessity of keeping his backside puckered up as tight and waterproof as a "frog's a**". He regaled me with a lot of stories about how the internal pressures seemed to be hard on his underwear.

I do often remember that playing Eb and pic with our brass band. Not sure if that meets your definition of "screaming", but Cat was the best I ever experienced.

Just sayin'!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
marathoner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell your trumpet it sounds worse than a Bundy - should be plenty of screams
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a teacher who knows how. Hang out with trumpeters who can. Some know how they do it, some just naturally do it. You can learn a lot by watching and listening.

And lots of practice. Flexibilities and long tones are the best chop builders. It won't happen overnight.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make it listen to Kenny G.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
Find a teacher who knows how. Hang out with trumpeters who can. Some know how they do it, some just naturally do it. You can learn a lot by watching and listening.

And lots of practice. Flexibilities and long tones are the best chop builders. It won't happen overnight.

+1
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make a trumpet scream a high g with almost no effort or practice - pay no attention to anyone else on this forum👹 here’s how.

Find a dog squeaky toy, and pull the squeaker out of the air “bag. Place the removed squeaker into the third valve slide ( caution —- make sure it fits tight and won’t enter bends, most fit, but check ) . Insert slide into horn. Play whartever you want avoiding third valve. Rare back like Maynard and play a note with the third valve. Instant immense high g really loud. You and you friends will be amazed.

That’s the only way other than finding good accurate info by a teacher or however you can , and lots of practice.
Have fun
Rod
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still go with the advice I gave you before in another thread...do the pencil exercise twice a day and work toward over 1 minute hold and up to 3 minutes. At that point you are plenty strong in the lips.

Practice lip buzzing with a lot of roll-in. You may have to roll in the bottom lip more than the top or vice versa. Keep buzzing melodies and scales and trying to make a high squeak and then play with that until you can buzz melodies up there and slur up to and down from that squeak.

Take your mpc and trumpet and put it on your lips while buzzing the squeak. See if you can get the buzz and then the squeak to continue and come out of your horn. Learn your preferred pivot, whether it is up to ascend or down to descend. Move the horn around on your lips while buzzing to get the best sound and see whether your angle needs to be a little to the left or right to get the best blow. Do you go up to the left or right or down to the left or right to ascend? Answer these questions to find your preferred embouchure track.

I hope this works for you. You do have to persist with it for a while, it takes a few weeks or maybe months to get it all right.

So do get an embouchure consult or two with a chop doc if you can and, if not, try the above. There is no immediate way to get this done...it does take some practice to get it right. Asking more questions in search of the magic answer will not do it, the practice will.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really hone in to a specific sound you want to emulate and practice along with the recording.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE8UpvvNiJI
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn’t locate the video, but that’s where I first saw it.like I said very easy to do👹
TheAidanAU

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
I still go with the advice I gave you before in another thread...do the pencil exercise twice a day and work toward over 1 minute hold and up to 3 minutes. At that point you are plenty strong in the lips.

Practice lip buzzing with a lot of roll-in. You may have to roll in the bottom lip more than the top or vice versa. Keep buzzing melodies and scales and trying to make a high squeak and then play with that until you can buzz melodies up there and slur up to and down from that squeak.

Take your mpc and trumpet and put it on your lips while buzzing the squeak. See if you can get the buzz and then the squeak to continue and come out of your horn. Learn your preferred pivot, whether it is up to ascend or down to descend. Move the horn around on your lips while buzzing to get the best sound and see whether your angle needs to be a little to the left or right to get the best blow. Do you go up to the left or right or down to the left or right to ascend? Answer these questions to find your preferred embouchure track.

I hope this works for you. You do have to persist with it for a while, it takes a few weeks or maybe months to get it all right.

So do get an embouchure consult or two with a chop doc if you can and, if not, try the above. There is no immediate way to get this done...it does take some practice to get it right. Asking more questions in search of the magic answer will not do it, the practice will.

Thank you for this information. I thought I responded a couple of days ago, but I guess not.. sorry about that. About the pencil exercise, will it benefit me if I did it more than twice a day and more than 3 minutes, or will nothing change? Thank you.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
You can make a trumpet scream a high g with almost no effort or practice - pay no attention to anyone else on this forum👹 here’s how.

Find a dog squeaky toy, and pull the squeaker out of the air “bag. Place the removed squeaker into the third valve slide ( caution —- make sure it fits tight and won’t enter bends, most fit, but check ) . Insert slide into horn. Play whartever you want avoiding third valve. Rare back like Maynard and play a note with the third valve. Instant immense high g really loud. You and you friends will be amazed.

That’s the only way other than finding good accurate info by a teacher or however you can , and lots of practice.
Have fun
Rod

Link

Or you could take lessons with me. But I charge $75 a lesson. The almost free way (you do have to spring for a squeeky toy) shown on the YouTube video will work quickly, but the effect is rather limited... Learning how to play the trumpet properly from me or someone equally competent will take longer and cost more. You get what you pay for.

As my teacher Claude Gordon said, "High notes are inevitable if you are practicing correctly - they'll develop right along with the rest of the machine." My experience as a player and the experience of my students shows he was absolutely right.

Best wishes

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: How to make trumpet scream? Reply with quote

TheAidanAU wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am wondering how to make my trumpet scream. I have tried looking online, but most things that I have found do not really say how to.

Wayne explains it in a way that makes sense, at least to me. Watch this clinic (or at least the part where he talks about ‘unlocking’ range):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hwbN-gEe0sc

Try experimenting a little, and hopefully you’ll figure out something that works.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:

Have fun
Rod

I shoved a squeaker in a no name 7C and the results were pretty hysterical.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aidan,
You asked about duration and number of times a day to do the pencil exercise. I think once or twice is about the limit, because holding that pencil for over a minute is fairly taxing. You also have to consider getting this exercise in when your lips are fresh, between practice sessions. So if you have a practice during the day, you would do it either first thing in the morning to give several hours before practice or after an early practice, after a few hours rest. Then you might have a second practice and do the pencil exercise again before bed. You have to guard against overpracticing or getting too tired, so if you find that you are pooping out during practices, you may need to allow more time for your lips to recover after the exercise or a practice. Similarly, if you do 2 minutes when your lips are fresh, but find that at other times you can't, then you are overdoing and need to cut back to one exercise per day or give more time between practice and the exercise.

If you are a fairly new player or maybe don't employ a lot of lip compression, then the pencil exercise helps with muscle development. That is all it is for. That and to give you an idea about lip to lip compression, what it feels like. I think that lip buzzing is also very helpful...Mendez used to make his students lip buzz for several weeks before he even gave them a mpc to buzz on and only later a trumpet. While you may be able to play a little higher than you can lip buzz because of a bit of mpc pressure, it won't be that much higher. So if you want to scream, play around with lip buzzing until you find a way to make a squeak over high C. Try varying amounts of roll-in, various spots on your lips to buzz, etc. Basically I am saying if you can't buzz it, you can't play it. Good luck! Persistence pays off!
Gawis

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Dropped playing trumpet altogether in recent weeks Reply with quote

I am an adult who started at trombone and started trumpet about 2 years ago. Self taught (youtube etc). I have developed some decency mostly on interpreting rhythm. Was still struggling a bit with finger dexterity didn’t practice much. However major weakness is that I couldn’t play above the high E on stave, wish I could at least reach a G. I haven’t touched any brass for three weeks and reading and watching videos. Unfortunately there is a ton of advise. I’m convinced my problem is mouthpiece placement as I have better days. I want to relearn and will start with the relax upper lip, small straw, moving mouth piece around on lips to find, now this pencil exercise, etc. finding a teacher or embouchure doctor may not be an option due to costs since I do it as hobby. But thanks for advise here though.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can really mess yourself up overdoing the pencil exercise.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Ansberry wrote:

Quote:

I would definitely agree, Mike. What part of my post gives you the idea that I DIDN'T caution against that and give specific instructions on how not to get too tired with it?
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike ansberry wrote:

Yep. Too much of it and you lose a lot of flexibility and sensitivity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: