• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing flat with slide all the way in

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject: Tangent to a tangent Reply with quote

Quote:

Some confuse "air speed" with air flow or air pressure. . .

►Tangent to a tangent◄

Some confuse "air flow" with "acoustic flow."

—Denny
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
... Play the trumpet. Develop a great concept of your own sound, then work to achieve that sound. Develop a consistent approach to air intake and support of the sound in all ranges. As Jacob would say, "wind and song". ...

--------------------------------
Jacob's teachings can be confusing to some people because at first glance they can seem too 'trite' or 'non-mechanical'.
It is the 'work to achieve that sound' that takes experimentation and physical change and adjustment - for each individual.

I believe the Jacob's concept of 'wind', is the 'big picture' finalization that comes from good use of all the various embouchure controls and adjustments (include breathing and blowing) that get discussed as separate items.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:
... Play the trumpet. Develop a great concept of your own sound, then work to achieve that sound. Develop a consistent approach to air intake and support of the sound in all ranges. As Jacob would say, "wind and song". ...

--------------------------------
Jacob's teachings can be confusing to some people because at first glance they can seem too 'trite' or 'non-mechanical'.
It is the 'work to achieve that sound' that takes experimentation and physical change and adjustment - for each individual.

I believe the Jacob's concept of 'wind', is the 'big picture' finalization that comes from good use of all the various embouchure controls and adjustments (include breathing and blowing) that get discussed as separate items.

Cause and effect.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
Quote:
Of course, I am talking about excess tension. It is insulting to assume I meant anything else and places a viewpoint in my words that is neither there nor implied.

So now you back off of your statement and you expect me to ASSUME something other than exactly what you wrote.

It appears you also may have given what I wrote some thought and realized that I was correct that some tension is always required to control the embouchure.

You contrasted "tension" with a reference to "relaxation". Well, "relaxation" is a complete repose of the muscles involved. That is, a complete absence of muscular action or effort. (And that doesn't work well at all for forming an embouchure) Now if you had WRITTEN "excessive" before "tension" that would have been clear. Which you didn't and then expect me to ASSUME you meant something else. It is PERFECTLY acceptable for you to clarify yourself but don't blame me not being a mind-reader.

Quote:
Embouchure alone creates pitch is without a doubt the most ridiculous statement I think I have ever heard

That is not what I wrote.

Quote:
aside from perhaps your statement that air doesn't affect pitch, or aperture doesn't affect pitch.

again, not what I wrote.

As for buzzing comments I was not, in that case referring to your post. But rather to excessive tension and effort to buzz a note rather than play it on the instrument. I am absolutely correct in that statement.

Quote:
We do create a buzz with the leadpipe and mouthpiece in combination with a relaxed embouchure, and work easier, using the resistance of the tightest part of the horn to create the sound. Sound is still the goal.

Well I would say we produce a TONE using the entire or complete instrument. One does not take JUST a mouthpiece or a leadpipe to a gig.

So you say here "relaxed" embouchure. Are we expected to assume that you really mean "relaxed", or something else?

As for your statement about the "resistance of the tightest part of the horn" you may not understand the acoustical system.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to armature hour

Last edited by Billy B on Fri May 21, 2021 6:59 am; edited 2 times in total
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you can't make a valid argument or have a meaningful discussion just make a snide remark. Also be sure to include a misspelled word in your 4-word remark.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
When you can't make a valid argument or have a meaningful discussion just make a snide remark. Also be sure to include a misspelled word in your 4-word remark.

Nothing to discuss. You are right about everything.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
... Cause and effect.

--------------------------
BILLY B ,
Yes - confusion, misunderstanding about cause and effect.

I'm not sure what happened with your earlier post (seems to be missing now)
that mentioned 'cause and effect', and with my post about Jacobs that also mentioned 'cause and effect' - it seems to have been edited (by a moderator?) or I 'submitted' it incorrectly.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: