• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Will I be able to play my trumpet the same way with braces?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAidanAU

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Will I be able to play my trumpet the same way with braces? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

At the end of the year, there is a strong possibility that I will be getting braces. (I will most likely have to get metal braces instead of an alternative brand, like Invisalign.) I am not sure if this will affect my playing or not. I would like to still be able to practice everyday if I get braces. Will they affect my playing, and how will they affect my playing? Thank you.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they will affect your playing, but you can adjust and get back to playing like before. At first it will be very different and difficult. It will hurt the insides of your lips, and you will be tempted to use wax or a plastic bumper/guard. I would suggest eschewing these options (they can make articulation difficult) and instead take your time to let the inside of your lips “toughen up”, and get used to it - sort of like a guitarist and their finger tips. Playing with a strong foundation that reduces both mouthpiece pressure and lip-to-teeth pressure will be helpful. But if you’re patient, you can adjust just fine.
TheAidanAU

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
Yes, they will affect your playing, but you can adjust and get back to playing like before. At first it will be very different and difficult. It will hurt the insides of your lips, and you will be tempted to use wax or a plastic bumper/guard. I would suggest eschewing these options (they can make articulation difficult) and instead take your time to let the inside of your lips “toughen up”, and get used to it - sort of like a guitarist and their finger tips. Playing with a strong foundation that reduces both mouthpiece pressure and lip-to-teeth pressure will be helpful. But if you’re patient, you can adjust just fine.

Okay, I will keep that in mind. Thank you.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like was posted above, things will be different! You are taking your embouchure and moving it forward, in addition to the initial pain from your teeth moving, the brackets rubbing, etc. When I had mine I didn't use wax, bumpers, etc. The wax wouldn't stay and the other stuff would have made my embouchure and weirder. Patience is key. Start back low and slow. Don't rush into higher stuff and longer sessions. This is a great opportunity to eliminate bad habits from your playing.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting your teeth fixed will make big improvements possible AFTER it's all done - and you will be glad about it.
During your time with braces, you will need to make changes - such as playing lower trumpet parts, or maybe even switching to t-bone or baritone/euphonium. Don't try to 'live with the pain' or injure your lips.

Many of us here have gone through having braces, and we are here NOW, happily playing years afterward - and with NO regrets about it.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal braces are not nearly as obtrusive as they were just a few years ago. Much better design.

I have had many students play with braces with range up to high E and able to play for several hours per day with no trouble.

The main problem is that student's think too much about what it feels like and forget to take a good breath.

Last edited by Billy B on Sat May 15, 2021 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JayKosta"]Getting your teeth fixed will make big improvements possible AFTER it's all done - and you will be glad about it.

Not necessarily. Many great trumpet players have very crooked teeth.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:

Teflon plumbers tape works well for this and is much less obtrusive.
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, Greg Black makes a mouthpiece for people with braces. As a side note, it also works great for people with larger or thicker lips as well, as it has a wider rim that distributes the pressure out more evenly and helps prevent it from cutting it and hurting.

I have had several students get it and some have even cried as they thanked me for the suggestion. It's called the BP (for "braces piece", I'm guessing?). There's a 3C size and a 1-1/2c size.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly support the statement above of playing lower parts or switching to valve bone or baritone. I wish I had had this option when I had braces but none of my teachers thought of this at the time (late 1980s).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Invisalign (not as tough as braces I believe in regards to playing), and it took me about a week or two to adjust both when I started and then again when I ended. Patience and time and practice is all.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Many great trumpet players have very crooked teeth.

Faddis is a great example.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this can help you (no personal experience!):

https://www.thomann.de/intl/cat_BF_buzzbuddy.html?sid=51aa873ed1bcc63eb0016b294658cd27&ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoibmwiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NywibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOjJ9&reload=1
TrackBugler

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Braces Reply with quote

I had a student who had made great progress until the day he had to get braces. The first thing we did was switch out the trumpet mouthpiece for a flugelhorn mouthpiece. This was my own idea, as this was my 1st really dedicated student. Then, he purchased a flugelhorn. The larger cup enabled him to continue producing a good sound with very little discomfort. Once the braces were removed (about 18 months later), we switched back to the trumpet with a trumpet mouthpiece. My student was able to continue his practicing routine throughout the 18 months of playing flugelhorn. He then developed his range to a high C above the staff, and won auditions to be 3rd trumpet in Philadelphia All-Catholic band in 10th grade, 2nd trumpet in All-Catholic band and 4th trumpet in the jazz band in 11th grade, and in 12th grade, he hit the trifecta of 1st trumpet in All-Catholic concert band, 3rd trumpet in All Catholic jazz band and I think 2nd trumpet in All Catholic Orchestra.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through this back in the dark ages of the late 1960s. The old-style metal braces. There was an adjustment, a little pain and a little blood at first, but I was able to keep on playing and the adjustment was quick. On the bright side, it probably eliminated a lot of mouthpiece pressure, but I cannot remember any really detail about that. Go easy on yourself at first and ease into it.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll just reiterate that you don’t need to change instruments. A wider rim mouthpiece could help, but I would certainly not go to a significantly bigger piece, especially not a flugelhorn piece. Just take it slowly, take your time, and let your lips adjust.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
I’ll just reiterate that you don’t need to change instruments. A wider rim mouthpiece could help, but I would certainly not go to a significantly bigger piece, especially not a flugelhorn piece. Just take it slowly, take your time, and let your lips adjust.

I agree, plus, the majority of people getting braces are kids, often middle school. Changing to flugelhorn is just not a practical consideration for the vast majority, nor do I believe it would be of much benefit.

Especially today, it seems like a near majority of kids get braces, they certainly affect playing, but students can be acclimated to them.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: