• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Testing cornets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Testing cornets Reply with quote

Testing cornets

Ever since the Covid 19 attacked us I have had my living base far from my hometown – intermittently returning home for periods. During this time I have practiced a lot (sigh...)trying to re-vamp my embouchure for the umpteenth time – with some success!
I have not played trumpet, only cornet, switching between my Getzen Custom (=3850) and the Yamaha 2330II. Mouthpiece mostly Schilke 14 3D3 but sometimes Wick Ultra 1 ½.

Slowly during the year, I´ve developed a certain feeling – the Yamaha is the easier one to play!! Not that it has the tonal spectrum of the 3850 – but but. It seems that I having gotten older – could do well with a horn that is more easy to play, while at the same time displaying some quality in the sound (not too bright, too thin, still with a core).
So I decided that I upon returning back in town I should do something about this. So here I am testing 4 cornets:
3850/Yamaha 2330 II/Yamaha 6330II and a Schlagerl ’Hans Gantsch’ (provided by Thomann.de). The latter got ample praise by Trent Austin in a you tube clip.

As always you learn something new (or revive old knowledge): when I picked up the 6330 I was somewhat surprised at the thin sound! But – having played the thing during a day I was instead struck by the ease and ”direct” response. Agile! Sound 70% of the 3850, sort of. You don´t really run in a horn – the horn is running in you! All the infinite feedback loops must have time to establish themselves – then your system knows how to handle the thing (hopefully). A clear cut difference both in ease of playing, sound etc to the Yamaha2330II (which is an entry model).

Then the Schlagerl arrived! Extremely nicely built handsome, looks very expensive but is not (well…). Same story. Took me a day and a half to open it up, that is a little longer.
Thoroughly comparing the cornets, mostly the 6330 and the Schlagerl I arrived at the conclusion, or should I say insight that the 6330 is the one that suits me. My heart wanted the Schlagerl but even if it perhaps is a finer horn, the Yamaha was the easiest one to play. The sound of these two horns is just about the same with me blowing. In a subtle way the 6330 felt more direct, did not require ”handling”, something that I experienced with the Schlagerl. The sound is quite nice - a bit brighter than the 3850 but still with a "core". Feels direct - in comparison the 3850 a millisecond slower - no one can hear, just an intutitive feeling.
But I guess, as always that this is so personal. Another guy might have arrived at the opposite decision. So now I own 5 cornets….
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Seymour,

Thanks for that - your experience I think is shared by many. Yamaha seem to make cornets that are easier to play, and require less muscle to get them to do what you want, at the potential loss of that last little bit of timbre and thickness of sound.

I recall a couple of years ago testing cornets for my Brass Band - it came down to Besson Sovereigns and Yamaha Xenos....the Besson had the better (richer, thicker) sound, but the Yamahas were so much easier to play. Our members have been very happy with them.

Personally I love my Olds A6 Ambassador, which I think is as easy as a Yam to play, but with a bit more core to it.

Thanks again for your experiences (would love to get my hands on a Gansch to see what it's like)

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there is nothing quite like actual play testing Pre-COVID, I totally intended to buy a new trumpet from a custom maker, went there (and had tested other horns in other shops before a lot) just to find out there is nothing quite like my trusted old Bach 43. So instead of buying a new trumpet for big band/rock/funk, I bought the AR Resonance mouthpiece in the signature (which suits me much better than the pieces I played before). Saved a lot of money that is now put aside for a quality bass trumpet (or something else, as the “need” arises).

I’d LOVE to have a cornet but have absolutely no need for one, so that probably won’t happen.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for a cornet??? That's blasphemy. Of course you need a cornet! Maybe even more than one.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
No need for a cornet??? That's blasphemy. Of course you need a cornet! Maybe even more than one.

This.

At a minimum, you need a Bb shepherd's crook, just for the joy of playing it if not for actual performance. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until late in life. Someone should have told me years ago. Ah, all those wasted years...

Life is short. Buy every horn you want and die happy.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, this is great! I’ll start looking and will tell everyone complaining about me having too many horns that my fellow THers have made a very strong point that everyone needs at least one cornet.

As for joy of playing I do have to say that my rotary and my bass trumpet are my absolute favorites, hard to top that, but you never know … in fact I HAVE been eyeing the new Getzen
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd like to get my hands on the new Getzen cornet as well. I think that I might manage to pick one up at some point.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: testing cornets Reply with quote

I agree with Delano................too many wives now that could be a problem. Too many cornets, that sounds like a good idea to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: