• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Non-Bach flugel equivalent

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Non-Bach flugel equivalent Reply with quote

Hi all...

I have a Getzen Eterna flugel, so it won't take a Bach flugel shank. Am currently playing a good old Bach 7C on trumpet. What's the closest to a Bach 7C diameter/rim setup in a non-Bach flugel mouthpiece that's readily available/affordable?

Thx!
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like a Yamaha 11F4, cheap and good.
And a better rim BTW.
Only slightly bigger: the Yamaha Bobby Shew.
These are mouthpieces with the Standard taper (=Large Morse taper) which fits the Getzen flügels.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too think the Yamaha idea is good.. or others like Curry would be a better selection - Curry's can be found with various shanks, get the proper one (large morse taper = Yamaha taper).

FYI, I think you can get Bach Flugel mouthpieces with a large morse taper. Though I haven't found a Bach Flugel piece that I love, I think there are better ones abailable. 6FL if any

A warning about Curry pieces: if you're like me, you'll get a Curry Flugelhorn mouthpiece and like it so much that you will switch to Curry mouthpieces on all of your other trumpets/cornets.!
Retired Air Force Bandsman
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Non-Bach flugel equivalent Reply with quote

Proteus wrote:
Hi all...

I have a Getzen Eterna flugel, so it won't take a Bach flugel shank. Am currently playing a good old Bach 7C on trumpet. What's the closest to a Bach 7C diameter/rim setup in a non-Bach flugel mouthpiece that's readily available/affordable?

Thx!

I play on a Bach 6C trumpet mouthpiece. The 6C is pretty much the same diameter as a 7C, but with a more padded rim. I use a Yamaha 13F4 on the fluglehorn, which for me is about the same diameter as the Bach 6 and 7 rims.

However, if you like the Bach 7CFL flugelhorn mouthpiece, you can use one on your Getzen. For the Eterna flugelhorn, Getzen sells a Bach-sized leadpipe. I have one for my Eterna, and paid about $20-$30 for it.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:

A warning about Curry pieces: if you're like me, you'll get a Curry Flugelhorn mouthpiece and like it so much that you will switch to Curry mouthpieces on all of your other trumpets/cornets.!

Another warning about Curry pieces: they are not for everybody. I still own a VC, DC, BBC for cornet and a 8.5B for trumpet, all brand new, not used at all. Sold a Curry 3C and a 3BC for trumpet. Could not play any of them. Often too bright and for me not well balanced. So try before you buy! In my experience the Curry's are a little bigger than the Bachies of the same number. I ordered the Curry pieces always a size smaller than the same number of Bach. So in my 7c period (I own lots of them) I ordered the Curry as an 8.5.
Mark Curry is a great guy so this is surely not personal. There are some big fans here of the Curry pieces so it will differ for different people. I have no experience with Curry flügel mp's.

The Yamaha 13F4 could also be a good idea. I did not mention it because I have no personal experience with it so I cannot tell you how big it is or feels, you'll have to try it. BTW I play a Yamaha 14F4.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
In my experience the Curry's are a little bigger than the Bachies of the same number.

Good point. I don't know if the Curry pieces are actually bigger. But to me (at least in the Curry 3 family), they "feel" bigger than their corresponding Bach mouthpieces.

We're all different, of course. But for me, the Yamaha mouthpieces feel similar to Bach mouthpieces. This is why I use them in situations like this (when I'm looking for a Bach equivalent flugelhorn mouthpiece with a large taper). Also, they're relatively inexpensive and readily available (which the OP mentioned).

Mike
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC there are three different flugelhorn shanks around these days (five overall) based on a conversation with Flip Oakes some time ago. If you work with a mouthpiece maker or good dealer (Mark Curry, Flip Oakes, many others) they will know (or look up) what shank you need and can provide you the correct mouthpiece.

HTH - Don
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen flugel...70's or 80's?
They didn't bore the receiver properly. Talk to Charlie Melk as this is an easy fix for him.
www.charliesbrassworks.com

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. Will try a Yamaha 13F4 and see how that goes.

Quote:
didn't bore the receiver properly

Brian: The horn is at least from the '80s...and mouthpieces always seemed to fit well enough. What exactly is the issue?
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Getzen Eterna flugelhorn from back in the 70s has a trumpet like ledge in the leadpipe as if there was a receiver and not smooth like a usual leadpipe. That might be the issue. When I bought it at Giardinelli’s, they cut down a Bach flugelhorn mouthpiece to fit.

You can purchase a new leadpipe from Getzen that will accommodate a Bach or Yamaha taper for a reasonable price. Otherwise you need a short shank flugelhorn piece. Curry mouthpieces work very well.
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa...are you saying that a flugel leadpipe doesn't (shouldn't) have a 'ledge' that the shank butts up against, as with a trumpet receiver? That it should be smooth ie. ledge-free??
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proteus wrote:
Whoa...are you saying that a flugel leadpipe doesn't (shouldn't) have a 'ledge' that the shank butts up against, as with a trumpet receiver? That it should be smooth ie. ledge-free??

The case with the early Eterna flugelhorns was that it would only fit short shank mouthpieces. The current Getzen replacement doesn’t have the ledge. Mine was bought in 1972 and is serial number KH215. Perhaps it is because the bore is .460 and they thought it worked on their trumpets.

Here is an old thread on it.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1480221
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1974 Getzen Eterna 896 flugelhorn, that I purchased new back in the 1970s. It has a large/Yahama receiver, that fits my Yamaha mouthpieces without difficulty. As already stated, Getzen offers a replacement leadpipe that has a small/Bach receiver, that I purchased about 10 years ago, and which I've used with Bach flugelhorn mouthpieces without difficulty.

Mike
picctpt33

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d suggest checking out the Curry flugelhorn mouthpiece line
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: