• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

reteaching my lips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rene

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started taking lessons to improve my range
and tone.My teacher watched and listend.
He explained that my lips are pushed outward
wile i play and that i should try to keep them more flat or inward.I tried playing that way but at this point its impossible. Are exercises
like pressing on a pencil with your lips working?Wath can i do?
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the roll in exercises.
Larrios
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rene,

It sounds like you need to get yourself the BE book, before you give any teacher the chance to ruin your current setting.

Ko
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, get the BE book. The whole point of the method is to teach your lips new techniques and integrate those techniques into your playing. The instructor has noted something wrong, BUT doesn't have a way to help you make a transition. BE will get you there.

Dave
Rene

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's for the help,i am going to get the BE book. But another question is, how will the change effect
my current playing? I have Orchestra practices coming up and i'm afraid this is going to stop me dead in the middle. How long would it normaly take someone to adjust to a different way of playing?
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rene,

Why don't you look through this forum? You should find some good answers to your questions.

B.E. is an indirect method !

If you search the B.E. forum for this two words, you will find some of these answers.

A short version from me:
YES! You can do B.E. while continuing playing as you do now....then "like magic", improvements will creep in!

Good luck!
Ole
Bob Cross
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto whay OJ said. BE hasn't changed my orchestral playing or approach in the least - or at least it feels that way. I don't even think about BE at rehearsal or performance. I tried BE because a friend had the book and I just had to try something that seemed so non intuitive - still seems non intuitive.

But I noticed very fast and dramatic improvements in endurance, range, tone, and especially flexibility in the high register - so I have kept doing what seems like these silly excercises. In my mind, I have not changed my playing or embouchure at all. I just notice that - wow, that passage seemed so hard last week and now it is much easier - or that piece seemed so advanced for me just a few weeks ago and now it is doable, or why did I used to think that an etude was impossible for me when it's not.

There is just no question that BE has me going in the right direction. And for somebody who over-thinks everything, its great. It is not something you think about in performance, it is something you just do despite the fact that it doesn't sound very musical (to me at least).

Bob
Rene

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help.Now i really have to do this.All the advise and experiences i read about in this forum got me fired up. Thank's Guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: