• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone ever done the Bobby Shew tweak on their own horn?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Anyone ever done the Bobby Shew tweak on their own horn? Reply with quote

I watched shew rtake a little tool and put it in the receiver take a couple pops and voila 150 beans open horn . I've known a few guys do this with their tight Bachs with success. Anyone done this?
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It can definitely change how a horn plays to a surprisingly significant degree.

Response, articulation, blow feel, resonance, timbre all can be effected.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a positive thing?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on how the horn is affected by the effects.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Goldplate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't imagine there is any going back, if you don't like the change it makes.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever done the Bobby Shew tweak on their own horn? Reply with quote

improver wrote:
I watched shew rtake a little tool and put it in the receiver take a couple pops and voila 150 beans open horn . I've known a few guys do this with their tight Bachs with success. Anyone done this?

No , but my Lawlers have the A leadpipe option that is the same , this is from Roy's old site.

"A after any of these pipes means the venturi has been opened to accomodate a faster air stream. This is a simple procedure and can be done at any time".

I use to own a horn with the #1 leadpipe without tha A opion that is my favorite pipe from Lawler horns , it was ok but it dont have that open feel of #1A pipe that I prefer.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Steve Hollahan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject: Opening end of leadpipe Reply with quote

I used a tapering mandrel to open my Bach37. The 25 standard only differs from 25-O is the opening is slightly larger on the latter.
Kanstul 900 piccolo trumpet
Sculptured Recrafting Custom Instrument Repair
and Restoration
www.sculpturedrecrafting.com
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a version of that tool that I use as part of my dialing in process for my instruments.

You can go back to the way it was before, and the results may or may not be what you're looking for.
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frost Custom Brass sells a venturi tool for this. http://www.frostcustombrass.net/tools.html

Of course having the tool and knowing exactly how to use it to real advantage - like Bobby Shew and Ewan Divitt can - are two different things.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Venturi opening Reply with quote

Many (if not all) makers utilize this "adjustment" to adjust the blow to their personal specifications. On my Scodwell USA trumpets I routinely do this with my tapered tool and as careful as I am with all the dimensions, sometimes I feel the finished trumpet will benefit from a slight (I call it burnishing) the venturi to get the blow where I feel it should be. Yamaha makes very good instruments but as mentioned, Shew will do a similar operation on the horns made with his name as factorys simply don't have the time to adjust each horn. I've always felt I have an advantage as each of my horns are made one at a time and played throughout the assembly by a top line player. When they leave my shop I am happy with the final product.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony this is fascinating. So you're saying that new horns in many manufacturers have this tool to open up blow to where they want it?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

improver wrote:
Tony this is fascinating. So you're saying that new horns in many manufacturers have this tool to open up blow to where they want it?

-----------------------------------
I read Tony's post as saying that some small one-at-a-time makers do this - perhaps as a final step when play-testing a finished horn.

Large 'manufacturers' probably have a more generalized process of finishing the end of the leadpipe (maybe before the mouthpiece receiver is installed, and then positioning the receiver indexed on the end of the leadpipe).
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Leadpipe venturis Reply with quote

I can only speak with certainty about the process that Kanstul used to insure leadpipe venturi openings were consistent. A sized reamer was inserted into the leadpipe venturi after the trumpet was completed. As I said in my earlier post, my way of finding what I consider the optimum blow (for me) is play testing each horn and using my tapered tool if needed. Again, as much as I keep dimensions as exact as possible variables exist and I play test each horn for long periods to obtain what I feel is the correct balance with this simple process. What the major makers do I would like to know.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
highscreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few specific questions to gather opinions

Since the definition of a venturi is the narrowest portion between wider portions of tubing, doesn't widening the opening of a leadpipe, in fact, push the venturi further down the leadpipe?

Is it optimal to have the venturi at the opening of the leadpipe or does someone have an opinion that the venturi further down the leadpipe has produced positive attributes (and what are those attributes)?

HighScream Brass Brio and Dolce Models
Yamaha YTR-8335 LA Bb
1994 Bach Stradivarius 43 Sterling Silver / 25-O
Courtois 154R Flugelhorn
GR Mouthpieces: WB-Classic, WB-Studio-M
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highscreamer wrote:
I have a few specific questions to gather opinions

Since the definition of a venturi is the narrowest portion between wider portions of tubing, doesn't widening the opening of a leadpipe, in fact, push the venturi further down the leadpipe?

Is it optimal to have the venturi at the opening of the leadpipe or does someone have an opinion that the venturi further down the leadpipe has produced positive attributes (and what are those attributes)?

Unless you go nuts with the tool and a hammer, you're not going to open the venturi more than .001-.002", so the smallest part with still be the opening of the leadpipe. If there is a shift, it may only be by a hairs length down the pipe.

It wouldn't be too difficult to flare a leadpipe before mounting and test your theory.
highscreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewan,
I would agree that the leadpipe will only expand a few mils while soldered in the receiver.

In one case, I replaced a leadpipe on a Wallace Eb. The original leadpipe was flaired out to .370" moving the venturi way down the tube. I recall the narrowest part of the tube was .350" diameter or so. It was done prior to soldering and the intent may have been to eliminate a step into the leadpipe as the opening to the leadpipe was tucked under the shoulder where the leadpipe butts to the receiver.

Another case where I have seen no step into the leadpipe was with an LA Olds Special with an integrated receiver. The end of the mouthpiece releases into the tube with a gradual taper down to a venturi about .300" away from the end of the mouthpiece. If I recall correctly, the diameter was .350" at the venturi.

It seems to me the net effect of the tapered end of the venturi tool effectively reduces the step into the leadpipe with burnishing, while the flat end enhances the step by mashing the end slightly. I had inferred from previous posts on this topic, Bobby only used the flat end of his tool. Did I get that wrong?

HighScream Brass Brio and Dolce Models
Yamaha YTR-8335 LA Bb
1994 Bach Stradivarius 43 Sterling Silver / 25-O
Courtois 154R Flugelhorn
GR Mouthpieces: WB-Classic, WB-Studio-M

Last edited by highscreamer on Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tweak should not be confused with how a manufacturer initially sizes or refines the opening of a leadpipe assembly during manufacture.

The tweak that Shew and others employ does not appreciably change the dimensions of the opening of the leadpipe. It is likely that these changes could not really be measured at all. They are not reaming anything open, they are not hammering a tapered rod to “open” the venturi. (Perhaps gentle taps with a 2 ounce hammer.) What they are doing is making adjustments to change the way the horn responds. Adjustments can be made to the opening inside edge and the flat face of the leadpipe. Small adjustments! Usually rubbing very gently is all that is needed. You can go back and forth to dial things in.

Keep in mind- an instrument that has a quick response seems to have an “open blow” no matter how large the Venturi measures. In fact, often an instrument that has had a Venturi reamed open will play dead and feel stuffy. Making a Venturi smaller can often make a horn play with a much quicker response. The reflection from the leading edge of the leadpipe has a huge impact on response.
Steve Knows Trumpet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject: Leadpipe Tweak to Yamaha Bobby Shew model horns Reply with quote

I have actually done this procedure as it was described to me back in the 90's when I had purchased my first 6310Z, brand new.

I did the procedure to that horn back then and this year I bought one of those old 6310Z model horns, used and again, I did "the tweak" as described to me for the purpose of opening up the horn" ever so slightly.

The impression I had of what one is trying to accomplish, physically to the end of the leadpipe was more to change the shape or contour of the inside edge of the end of the leadpipe and NOT to make the end of the leadpipe larger in any way.

The way it was described to me, this tweak, involved NO tapping of anything with a mallet, but just a very little, light hand work and test playing of the horn as you would go.

The effect was to give a more rounded contour to the inside edge of the leadpipe only. as I understand all of this. Apparently, the end of the leadpipe was left very squared off in manufacturing and the idea was to maybe burnish that edge down ever so slightly and maybe even remove some burrs that may have been left there when it was cut off.

I am not an instrument tech or repairman of any description. I went very slowly with a lot of play testing as I went in each case until I could say for sure "yeah, ok. I've begun to feel and hear the change I desire" and then I stopped.

It did make both horns play somewhat better for me. On my newer 6310Z I definitely felt that I was "rubbing down" some burrs or rough edges in there that I could definitely feel through the tool when I started to work.

In particular this tweak improved the response of this horn I have now in the lower register and helped me get notes below low C to low F# speak better and pedal tone playing is also markedly improved now. The response is slightly but noticeably better around the top of the staff, but not to any night and day degree.

Do I know what I'm talking about? Most likely not. Did I perform the tweak correctly? This is doubtful.

But, I can say that I didn't really hurt the playing characteristics of either horn in any way and in my own mind, at least, some things were a little bit improved, anyway.

So, yes. Bottom line, like many of you, I'm just a psycho trumpet nerd who will try just about anything to tweak a horn, mouthpiece or mute because we've heard its what a player we admire has (allegedly) done to his equipment to customize or improve it a bit.

So, yeah, if you're going to attempt this yourself, I would say go slow! No hammers!! and play test as you go, and when you get a result, good or bad, STOP! before you wreck your horn!! More is NOT better, for sure.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my Bobby Shew horn tweaked by Bobby, himself. Really didn't make much of a difference to me.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Tweaker".

I kinda like the name.
Thinking of getting new business cards made, with that as my job description. That will supersede "Myth Debunker".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: