• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Herco Spitballs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunnarerikc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject: Herco Spitballs Reply with quote

I know, nothing beats a real cleaning of your horn. But what's your thought on using Herco Spitballs? Do they really work to (somewhat) clean your horn? Am I giving into "marketing" by buying these?
"If I could Play like Wynton Marsalis I would without a doubt, 100% play like Wynton Marsalis" -Me
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spitballs are very effective if used regularly.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use them regularly.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak for spitballs directly, but I use its alternate product (BlowDryBrass) and it's very effective in keeping the horn clean. I imagine using spitballs daily has a similar positive effect.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, spit balls, or BlowDry, extend the time between thorough cleanings and really help to keep the slime from growing inside the instrument.
I use them regularly after gigs and long practice days, that the trumpets don't sit for a length of time with moisture inside.

Hints: Push the sponge past the mouthpiece receiver, into the leadpipe with a mouthpiece brush, pencil, straw, or the BlowDrySwab (makes it easier to blow the sponge through), be sure to depress the valves all the way down (part way will get a sponge stuck), refresh the fluid with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, and at each use multiple times (valves up, valves down)
Retired Air Force Bandsman
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used spitballs several years back, but being a bit of a miser, I had a stash of spitballs that were old, and started falling apart leaving "crumbs" in the horn. Before they fell apart, they were pretty effective at keeping the horn free of odor and looking shiny inside. Since then, I have taken to leaving my horn on a stand in my practice room to dry as well as swabbing the leadpipe. If I am putting the horn away for some time, I pull the slides to dry inside the case.

I also had another experience, having bought a really new looking Market ng Master model cornet very cheaply because it just didn't play well. When I received it, I did a thorough flush with Dawn detergent and cleaned all the slides. It really didn't "sing" until I once again flushed and brushed it out and found a grungy spitball lodged in the 90 degree elbow that enters from the underslung tuning slide into the third valve cylinder. I guess the point of this is to blow the spitball forcefully, have a towel or cloth to catch it, and toss them before they wear out.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herco Spitballs have been a regular part of my horn cleaning ritual for well over 50 years.

One thing I do is when I open a new jar I empty out the liquid that comes with them. I rinse them fully with warm water, squeeze them dry and leave the jar open for a few hours so they can completely dry. After I've Used a couple to clean a horn I rinse them with warm water, let them dry, put them back and close up the jar.

I've used a single jar for years because I don't do the blow them through once with the original liquid and then throw it away.

I do suggest you push it down into the receiver an inch or so before blowing. A pencil or mouthpiece brush works fine for this. That little bit of back pressure helps a lot.

Another thing is I prefer the trombone size spitballs. After I've done the "new jar" procedure above and they've dried, I cut them in half width-wise. They're a little bit bigger than the trumpet Spitballs. I've never had any problems with them easily going through any of my horns, including a .413 bore flugelhorn.

If you're looking for a big-name trumpet endorser, Buddy Childers always had a jar of dry Spitballs in his case. After he finished a rehearsal, performance or session he'd blow a couple through his horns before they went back in their case.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
gunnarerikc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the info. This really helps.
"If I could Play like Wynton Marsalis I would without a doubt, 100% play like Wynton Marsalis" -Me
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found BlowDry Brass to be a better working solution, as have a number of other trumpet players I know. I know a Physician who switched because the BlowDry Brass uses Isopropyl Alcohol as the liquid...and she likes that for the germ killing function.
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
herringbur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spitballs are quite effective when used on a daily basis.
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my horns serviced by Rich Ita in Atlanta and he always recommends them. I don't always use them but I clean my main trumpet about once a week. I sometimes use them on that horn but I always blow one through my Schilke P5-4 piccolo when cleaning that because there is no way to take the 2nd valve slide off since it's soldered to the horn.

I also blow valve oil through my horns after cleaning them so junk is less likely to stick and easier to clean kind of like putting oil on cast iron frying pan. I've never had an issue with red rot (i.e. de-zincification). I also sometimes use a test tube brush in the lead pipe.

Here's a funny high speed video I did on cleaning to show what I do in less than 60 seconds since it's all sped up.

https://www.purtle.com/trumpet-cleaning
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff_Purtle wrote:

I also blow valve oil through my horns after cleaning them so junk is less likely to stick and easier to clean kind of like putting oil on cast iron frying pan. I've never had an issue with red rot (i.e. de-zincification). I also sometimes use a test tube brush in the lead pipe.

Jeff, does any brand valve oil work for the purpose you mention, including Blue Juice?

Also wondering since I gave my horn a bath a couple weeks ago if it's OK or advisable to do the valve oil blow through at this time or wait until after the horn's next bath.
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use whatever you normally use. The point is clean it often and the oil can’t hurt. I repairman suggested it years ago and it can’t hurt. Use the spit balls too. Some people use the pull through swabs like Bob Reeves sells. Woodwind players pull a swab through often.

Tim’s swab looks cool. I should buy a couple.
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff_Purtle wrote:
Some people use the pull through swabs like Bob Reeves sells. Woodwind players pull a swab through often.

That's just for the leadpipe though right? The main advantage of using a spitball (or BDB pellet) is that it goes through the entire instrument. I used to use a swab too (because most of the junk is gonna end up in the leadpipe anyway) but my flugel's leadpipe goes directly into the valve block so I needed another solution...and for those, the 'pellet through the instrument' solutions work great.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: