• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Artisan 1 1/2C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:54 am    Post subject: Bach Artisan 1 1/2C Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience with this mouthpiece? Particularly comparing it with older corp./Mt. Vernon 1 1/2Cs? I like the earlier flatter rim with a sharper bite but do not like how the mouthpiece gaps with my horns. I am contemplating cutting for sleeves but am also exploring different options.

Thank you!

Adam
deleted_user_7354402

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Bach 1/2 C Artisan for about 10 years. I recently switched over to a Bach 1 1/2 with 24 throat and 24 backbore on my main horn that Osmun did the modifications to. First, I love the sound of the Artisan, there is a brilliance and clarity on my end of the bell that I don’t hear in the Standard Bach mtpc. I would say the mouthpiece sounds sweeter. The reason I moved away is that, for me, the upper register sounded a little thin in comparison to other mouthpieces and in big brassier settings, trumpet players were asking me to play louder. I felt like I was max volume, and I think I can play pretty bleeping loud. When I moved over to the Standard mtpc set up, I hear more density in the core of the sound. I haven’t had complaints since
All that said, after banishing out on the standard rim, playing on the artisan rim, feels a lot sharper to the lips. So that is something I would keep in mind. Secondly, I have several artisan mouthpieces, and they still have that classic Bach “variation” in their build. Half of the Artisan and half of the Bach Standard mouthpieces, (in well maintained condition) jiggle in the receivers of all my trumpets. If I put a Yamaha, Curry or ACB mouthpiece in, there is no problem. My trumpets are mostly yamahas and all original to me. No tweaks on the receiver (ala Bobby Shew) So in terms of Gap, I might say that you still need to check the fit on whichever one arrives. I sent back several Bach mtpc’s also because the opening of the backbore had different widths of metal on the opening. So be thorough. I really like the compact density the Bach mouthpieces can bring to the core sound, but each mtpc can be quite a bit more varied than I would prefer. I suppose it’s possible, you might even find a standard Bach 1 1/2 by digging through and playing them all at a well stocked music store.
If it’s the rim you are worried about, It might be worth it to give a Curry or Yamaha a try. I was surprised by the quality, sound, and playability of the Curry mouthpieces for the price they are.
Of course, these are just my thoughts. I hope they help
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I really appreciated it!

Adam
deleted_user_7354402

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last thought,
The guys at Osmun and Austin Custom Brass are really helpful and knowledgeable about mouthpieces. They might be able to guide you to a mouthpiece that gets after what you’re going for. I think the backbore on the Artisan mtpc is different than the standard Bach mtpc and I think that combo on the back end has a lot to do with the way that piece plays. Osmun carries Curry and Austin Custom Brass, both Curry and ACB have Mount Vernon scans or copies they are working off of.
About sleeves, I had Bob reeves cut an artisan for sleeves a while ago. It’s a good diagnostic tool, and fussing around with the gap did help me identify where my horn plays it’s best. That being said, it helped on an old Schilke trumpet of mine, but I ended up finding a solid one piece mouthpiece that fit the bill with a little more sound in the sound. All that said, the Bob Reeves valve alignment is great (In my opinion) Osmun does great work as well (I think I saw you were up in The North East) If you think your horn might benefit from that, it might be worth sending it in for a once over before going down the mouthpiece rabbit hole
darksmoke

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've liked and enjoyed mine since I got it. It doesn't feel particularly large at all and I didn't have to adjust anything coming from around 5C sizes. I can agree with the sound having a sweet, slightly mellow and broader edge to it, although I cannot compare it to any standard Bach 1/2C.

- Nice clear, solid sound with depth
- Feels pretty open and can blow big
- I like the flatter, rounder rim it has
- Doesn't blot out the higher notes above the staff for its size and they come out strong if you can support it there.

Love playing ballads on it, it certainly sounds like there's a little something extra in it when you can take it nice and slow with the tone.
-Callet SC6
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the secret of Bach instruments and mouthpieces. A little something extra in the sound. And what a something!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: