• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lifelong musician, beginning trumpeter

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joelf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
Hello Joel,
If I read your original post right, you are able to play a high C, so something about your embouchure is right!
Maybe yes. maybe no: I have to pinch my lips and press harder to the mp to get that C, and that CAN'T be right. Ditto the G below it, though less so, but I'm still pressing harder on the mp rather than adjusting the aperture and air flow correctly.

Also, on that chromatic exercise of concert Ab down to F, after the 1st note I found myself cheating by moving my lips to the right of the mp---seemed the only way I could make it. But I stopped immediately so as to not start years of bad habits. I'm getting a little better doing it correctly.

So I have no bragging rights. I'm a beginner learning to wipe his bottom, that's all...
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joelf wrote:
SMrtn wrote:

You got to hang out with Joe Magnareli?....
Not to make a big deal of it I'm a NYer (trying to get back, actually). I was on the scene since the mid-70s as guitarist. In the 80s I was involved w/Barry Harris's JCT and hung hard with C. Sharpe and especially Tommy Turrentine. (Have a tribute tune for those 2). I had lots of great experiences and just as much serious ass-kickings and dues paid---so I don't expect any ring-kissing just b/c of an accident of birth, location.

But it was a great training ground and I was lucky to catch the tail end of great jazz in NY. The 1st 'big time' gig I did was in '84 at the West End, with George Kelly's Jazz Sultans. Benny Powell was in the group but on trumpet was the SO underrated Virgil Jones.

People were around and accessible. You could talk to Tom Harrell on break and I did. Chris Anderson was around, a beautiful, warm person and unique pianist. Barry worshipped him and had him on every concert. We became friends. I was in Jaki Byard's Apollo Stompers for 1 1/2 years. He KICKED my ass!

It was a great environment for a young musician. Now I'm an old musician and discovering a new world of brass is keeping me young...

New lease on (musical) life.

NY would've been a blast, wouldn't have minded myself.
joelf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That concert Ab (below middle C)-F chromatic exercise is proving very hard---especially hitting the notes straight on (I said I'd cheated, moving lips to the right. I quit that).

The Bb I can manage---if I approach it slow and soft. The lower notes are kicking my ass. It may be an aperture thing.

Any suggestions? I know it's hard in the abstract w/o a vid or even recording. (I'd be too embarrassed)...
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joelf wrote:
Any suggestions? I know it's hard in the abstract w/o a vid or even recording. (I'd be too embarrassed)...

-------------------
Playing those lower notes is part of 'flexibility' exercises and practice.
Work on the octave of written notes from middle C to the C in the staff, and slowly extend downwards and upwards.

And yes the lowest notes do sometimes require some lip adjustment and 'lip flapping' - but the goal is minimize (eliminate) the need for that.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
joelf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Will look into it...
joelf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still need to cheat. But onward...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: