• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Embouchure numbing agents

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Embouchure numbing agents Reply with quote

TheAidanAU wrote:
Hello everyone,

Recently, I have seen a couple of videos that have displayed use of numbing agents in the mouth, to improve range. They have been using orajel, which contains benzocaine, which relieves pain and relaxes your muscles in your mouth. I was wondering if this actually works well, considering that benzocaine can cause methemoglobinemia, which can potentially kill you.

If you had a nickel for every trumpet player who tried some trick or gimmick looking for that "magic pill" or secret to unlocking blistering upper range, you'd be a wealthy man. And none of it works.

Rather than trying some snake oil trick like trying Orajel, you'd be better off finding a teacher who specializes in upper register playing. I see you're in Virginia, and it's a big state - you may not be anywhere near Northern VA or Washington DC, but if you are, you could likely get some lessons from one of the trumpet players in the premier military big bands such as the US Army Blues, or the Air Force Airmen of Note.

Skype and Facetime is a good way to go as well - a lot of those folks use that as a way to teach lessons over distance. Finding out who they are is as easy as going to their websites and looking up their rosters:

US Army Blues
US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors
Air Force Airmen of Note
US Navy Commodores
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: